Mike Brown Talks Overtraining, His Hand, Next Fight

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

WrestlingSmarks News

Reaction score
mike_brown_large.jpg
Mike Brown has fallen on some hard times in the cage recently, but he hopes to be turning that around as soon as possible. Losses in his first two fights were unacceptable to a self-professed "gym rat" like Brown, but he couldn't figure out what was wrong with himself. He spoke to Jonathan Snowden back in February not long after losing to Rani Yahya at UFC Fight For The Troops 2, and his health was a major question mark at that point:

"I was working, I can't be getting in worse shape. That's impossible. We thought that was the problem so we started to cut back. That didn't work. I don't know man," Brown said. "...After the loss I was depressed. So the best way to fix that is to get a win. What I thought was the problem is that I had over-trained. So I just eased back...I only sparred like two or three times for the fight. I thought I was going to be safe, but the same thing happened again. I thought he was no threat so I was going to go 60, 70 percent. There's no way I could get tired and he's not going to submit me. I was taking it easy and I lost the first by doing that. And somehow, my body still gave out. It didn't make any sense to me...I've got some doctors helping me out. It might have something to do with my heart. My heart rate is running really high resting, so I'm seeing a cardiologist. Hopefully we'll sort it out."

Brown recently did an interview with MMAHQ where he gave an update on the situation. Kind of:

I'll be honest with you I'm not sure what was going on completely. I've spoken to a few different exercise physiologists and doctors and they all agree that I was over training.

But the prognosis on his injured hand is much more concrete and positive:

Rehab on my hand has gone well and I'm back to 100% now.

And it looks like we'll be seeing MTB on a card in the semi-near future:

Ideally I'd like to fight in August or September if I get the chance.

Hopefully the former WEC featherweight champion right the ship and continue to entertain fans in the UFC. Who should he fight when he's ready to come back?