Mick Foley: One of a kind

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

-3:16-

Reaction score
I mentioned Foley a bit in my previous article, but this time i've solely focused on him. Most of its just a basic biography and I hope you enjoy.

________

Throughout the history of this sport there have been many crazy characters, but there was always one that stood out from the rest, sort of like the shark in a fish pond. This man was not driven by ego, money or self greed, but rather, the sheer roar and energy from his supporters, the fans. This is a story of one who inspired many to follow, a guy who took his gimmick and embeded it into himself making it a part of him. Some have called him underrated, overated, but nonetheless, this is the life of one of a kind: Mick Foley.

After a short run in AWA Foley went to ECW as Cactus Jack. This character was a reflection of his youth, he was insane, crazy, daring, dedicated to do everything he possibly could do. He was a young kid, maybe with not the best body, who wanted to prove to the world he could be the best. His graet matches and dedication led him to become ECW Tag Team champions and after one year he was ready for a change. On coming to WWF, he would once again change his gimmick, this time, he would become Makind.

The Manking character was a phenomenal gimmick and to this day it is talked about. The fact that made this so successful is that it probably wasn't a gimmick, it was just, plain Mick Foley. Mankind was a crazy character, unpredictable, a guy who'd 'eat you alive' sent shivers down most fans. But it was until King of the Ring 1998 where he had the chance to really shine. In perhaps one of the greatest Hell in a Cell matches to date, Mick Foley was thrown off a cell, if that wasn't enough to shock fans, his opponent (Undertaker), chokeslammed him from the top of the cell down somewhat 16ft into the ring. It was reported that shortly after the match that bump hurted more than the first one through the announcement. And to top off the match he was put through thumbtacks. Considering this had never been done before in front of a global WWE audience, it got crazy amounts of appeal from fans. In return, he received broken ribs.

Some misunderstand Mankind and believe him to be a guy who just wrestles, no different to any other hardcore wrestler, but the one attritube Mankind/Mick Foley had was his ability to work a crowd, his grat mic skills and his pure geniusness in the ring. AFter the great HIAC match at King of the Ring Foley excelled as a character winning championship gold. He then went on to major feuds and would once again put his body on the line just for the fans.

Later on in his career Foley would have yet another change to his gimmick, this time he would imitate a gimmick he played back in his days when producing videos, he beame Dude Love, a character totally opposite from Mankind. This persona earned him tag gold with rising superstar Stone Cold (whom i'll write an article for later) and many other high profile feuds.

At No Way Out 2000, as Cactus Jack, he would face Triple H in a match dubbed as 'a retirement/title match', not to mention, it was another Hell in a Cell match. The match saw fire being injected into his mouth, which reflected what happened in ECW when Terry Funk did the same thing, after many more sick bumps in that same match it was believed Mick Foley was done with wrestling.

However, although he didn't compete much in the ring, he became the commissioner for the WWF. Here was a guy, who would dedicate his life for the fans, and give them what they want, and now he would book them what they want. It make perfect sense and the angle itself was very successful. In 2004 he officially returned to his hardcore style when he faced young and cocky star Randy Orton at Backlash 2004. The match was, as usual, hardcore and unlike most stars, this wasn't about Foley putting himself over, it really helped the embellishment of Orton's character also. In 2005 he returned for a match against Carlito, in which fans would choose his gimmick, they chose Mankind. THe match was not as hardcore as his other matches, obviously due to WWE toning down their product but after all the dust is settled, and examining his history, one cannot deny Foley is one of the greatest superstars in history to pave the path for the future.

His incredible geniusoity, mic skills and phenomenal talent didn't make him good, it made him one of the best. THere truly will only be one of a kind: Mick Foley.

-3:16-

The Anigma

Reaction score
Great read...I don't see Mick Foley as either overrated or underrated if that makes sense...lol...but anyway I think he is one of a kind. For all the crazy bumps he's taken throughout his career and all the hard times he went through to get to where he's at. You have to admire and respect the man because he never had the greatest body but he still gave the fans what they wanted and he knew how to connect with the fans. For that, I tip my hat to him.

Reaction score
foley was awesome and a loyal servant to the wrestling biz,and he showed he was intelligent by writing all those best selling books.

samborambo

Reaction score
Foley was one of my all time favorite wrestlers. Loved his passion for the buisness always willing to put the fans before his own well being. But you've missed out his part in WCW as Cactus Jack before he was in ECW, Where he had great matches with Vader and a great title match with Sting.

Reaction score
Foley was a great wrestler and King of the Hardcore which I'm not a fan of but i respect Foley 100%

C4

Mick Foley was surely one of a kind, he made the Attitude Era so special by jumping off Roofs, falling on concrete, blazing through fire, getting hit by tens of thousands of Chair Shots, falling onto Tables and getting millions of blows on his head. He suffered Injuries and he shortened his life but Mick Foley has all the respect he wanted, Whatever happens to that guy he will remain One of a kind, falling off 15 feet might seem easy but it's not - ask Mick himself, from his early Cactus Jack days and his funny Dude Love Era to his Mankind Mystery I had, have and always will love Mick Foley - hats off to you Mick!

gashface

Reaction score
Mick Foley is a legend nuff said. I only saw him in WWF (because I am too young to have seen him in WCW and ECW) Though I have since watched loads of stuff online of him as Cactus Jack. I just don't know why Vince didn't employ Foley earlier, they could've used him in some of the earlier 90s.. but then again I guess the time and place was right, with the whole extreme wrestling thing taking off...

Anyway I've gone off on a tangent.

FOLEY IS GOD.

Nobody

Reaction score
Foley was a good wrestler and he deserves our respect.I saw him and i liked him.Was an hardcore wrestler, who make everytime the best show.I can say that he's one of the biggest hardcore legend from industry.