Meme of the Year Awards

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

What are your top 3 memes of the year?

• Powerful Shaggy

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Unvaccinated

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Let Me In

• Elon Musk "Is That True"

• Ricardo

• No one/Nobody:

• Ah shit, here we go again

• Me and the Boys

• Table Cat

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • Keanu Reeves

• Thanos

• Ight I'mma Head Out

• Ok boomer

• Baby Yoda

• I'm In

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Solid Snake

Champion
Reaction score
Memes are for sheep who feel the need to be a part of something that is currently popular because they can't come up with anything original themselves.
You realize you can say this about music, TV, movies, drinking, drug use, etc. etc. right? lol

Jeffry Mason

Your Local Sports Team Sucks
Reaction score
You realize you can say this about music, TV, movies, drinking, drug use, etc. etc. right? lol
True to some extent, but I don't think people use those as methods of covering up their own lack of abilities. I don't listen to music just because I can't play it, whereas I feel like a lot of people who aren't clever enough to make their own funny jokes on a consistent basis resort to memes as a replacement for their own humor. Obviously, it's a generalization that isn't true for everyone, but it's enough people to become the majority imo

Solid Snake

Champion
Reaction score
True to some extent, but I don't think people use those as methods of covering up their own lack of abilities. I don't listen to music just because I can't play it, whereas I feel like a lot of people who aren't clever enough to make their own funny jokes on a consistent basis resort to memes as a replacement for their own humor. Obviously, it's a generalization that isn't true for everyone, but it's enough people to become the majority imo
Memes are a form of comedy. Granted, it is quick and takes little effort in most cases but that is the world we live in now. Everything is done on the fly and meant to be appealing for a short amount of time. I think memes are great because they draw a middle ground for people on the internet who would likely hate each other otherwise. There is nothing wrong with having a connection with people through pointless humor. We are humans and most of the time we suck but if we can get along, even through stupid internet memes, the world is a slightly better place.

Jeffry Mason

Reaction score
Memes are a form of comedy. Granted, it is quick and takes little effort in most cases but that is the world we live in now. Everything is done on the fly and meant to be appealing for a short amount of time. I think memes are great because they draw a middle ground for people on the internet who would likely hate each other otherwise. There is nothing wrong with having a connection with people through pointless humor. We are humans and most of the time we suck but if we can get along, even through stupid internet memes, the world is a slightly better place.
I obviously wouldn't argue that any of those effects are bad. People getting along is great. But why can't people be original and have the same effect?

Solid Snake

Champion
Reaction score
I obviously wouldn't argue that any of those effects are bad. People getting along is great. But why can't people be original and have the same effect?
Nothing is original anymore and that has been the case for a long, long time. Research proved this years ago. Everything we view as "original" is someone else's recreation of someone else's work. We see things every day that shapes the way our brain processes ideas. If you really look at everything, you can see inspiration is pulled from everywhere. I think the last original idea someone had was the internet. LOL

Jeffry Mason

Reaction score
Nothing is original anymore and that has been the case for a long, long time. Research proved this years ago. Everything we view as "original" is someone else's recreation of someone else's work. We see things every day that shapes the way our brain processes ideas. If you really look at everything, you can see inspiration is pulled from everywhere. I think the last original idea someone had was the internet. LOL
Sure, but at least there can be an attempt to be original as possible, no? It's like being in last place and statistically eliminated from a prestigious tournament. You still want to do your best even though it's impossible to win, not for anyone else but just for taking pride in yourself. Copying and pasting memes just to post them is the equivalent of giving up when it comes to humor. Using or referencing them in moderation in clever ways and mixing it up with other methods of humor... I can understand that. Using them with no context though, or relying on them as almost your entire sense of humor... can someone even be considered a funny person at that point?

Jeffry Mason

Reaction score
People do realize trying to be "original" is not original, right?
Maybe, maybe not. But at least it's a lot more clever and entertaining than seeing the same couple of jokes being run into the ground repeatedly until they're deader than Pauly Shore's career

Solid Snake

Champion
Reaction score
Sure, but at least there can be an attempt to be original as possible, no? It's like being in last place and statistically eliminated from a prestigious tournament. You still want to do your best even though it's impossible to win, not for anyone else but just for taking pride in yourself. Copying and pasting memes just to post them is the equivalent of giving up when it comes to humor. Using or referencing them in moderation in clever ways and mixing it up with other methods of humor... I can understand that. Using them with no context though, or relying on them as almost your entire sense of humor... can someone even be considered a funny person at that point?
Well, I make my own memes 90% of the time. I only use other ones such as "fake news" or "ok boomer" unironically. Maybe because the way I use them doesn't seem distasteful for me which is why I can't see why you'd be this annoyed by them... However... People using them on social media just because everyone else is using them... I can see why that could be annoying. Maybe this is more a less down to our outcast/black sheep nature? I was this way and still am in many regards. I just do whatever I like and enjoy not really caring about popularity or anything. I mean it is all fine and dandy to be liked but I would rather be liked for me not something witty I said online.

I can't remember where I was going with this. Consider it a win. I can't stop sneezing on my keyboard. Also, this was all probably Reag's fault some how.

Jeffry Mason

Reaction score
Well, I make my own memes 90% of the time. I only use other ones such as "fake news" or "ok boomer" unironically. Maybe because the way I use them doesn't seem distasteful for me which is why I can't see why you'd be this annoyed by them... However... People using them on social media just because everyone else is using them... I can see why that could be annoying. Maybe this is more a less down to our outcast/black sheep nature? I was this way and still am in many regards. I just do whatever I like and enjoy not really caring about popularity or anything. I mean it is all fine and dandy to be liked but I would rather be liked for me not something witty I said online.

I can't remember where I was going with this. Consider it a win. I can't stop sneezing on my keyboard. Also, this was all probably Reag's fault some how.
I'd make the argument that I see it not as a popularity thing but rather a pride in one's self and work. I'd also make the argument that people don't make memes, people make jokes and it's the people who reuse those jokes that classify them as memes. But you already said I won which means I don't really need to argue anything, so I'll instead wish you wellness with your current health problem (which for the record is definitely not Reag's fault :p)

• Haha
Reactions: Solid Snake