[Melzter] AEW needs a top babyface

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
Dave Meltzer talked about AEW’s need for a top babyface talent on Wrestling Observer Radio.

During Thursday morning’s show, Meltzer talked about AEW’s need for a top babyface similar to Cody Rhodes in WWE. You can watch the show clip below.

Meltzer said that AEW simply doesn't have that guy that draws people in, pointing to recent sluggish attendeance for AEW shows. He also said that turning Chris Jericho or having CM Punk return isn't the solution. He concluded saying that identifying the issue with AEW right now is the easy part, but finding the solution would be tough.

On Wednesday, AEW confirmed the World Championship match for AEW Revolution, with Bryan Danielson earning the match with MJF by successfully defeating Rush in what was a bloody, brutal match. After the match, MJF came out from the announcer’s desk and attacked Danielson, laying him out with a punch while wearing the Dynamite diamond ring. The two will now meet in a 60-minute iron man match on March 5.

Canadian Dragon

The Ace of WS
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
9Cf16sP
Favorite Wrestler
v9xmgrN
Favorite Wrestler
f0aLDLP
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
he's on crack, they have a bunch they are buiilding up. If anything they have too many top level faces atm :
Mox
Hangman
Cole
Ricky
Takeshita
Kenny isn't even really a heel either

Canadian Dragon

The Ace of WS
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
9Cf16sP
Favorite Wrestler
v9xmgrN
Favorite Wrestler
f0aLDLP
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
in contrast at heel :
MJF ***
Jericho
???????

Last edited:

CakeWalker

Fancy a slice?
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
TigerMask1
Favorite Wrestler
AZs1Z5p
Favorite Wrestler
E3RY3ej
Favorite Sports Team
2fIlV8l
Favorite Sports Team
Stewart52
Favorite Sports Team
Brad6
Favorite Sports Team
OH6F0Jl
Hangman is 100% a face - because I sure as shit don't like his character. And I generally don't like faces [good wrestler though.] LOL

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
I haven't watched the video but I assume what he means is for lack of a better way to explain it other than TEW terms but a "figurehead" which is like a Hogan, Cena, the attempt at face Roman, etc. One guy to point to and say that's the guy

But I don't really think that's ever been a goal on the face side, maybe MJF on the heel side yeah. Feels like the old debate of philosophy on NWA having top heel Ric vs WWF having top face Hogan and which is the better way to book all over again lol (the answer is both work if done well)

Canadian Dragon

The Ace of WS
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
9Cf16sP
Favorite Wrestler
v9xmgrN
Favorite Wrestler
f0aLDLP
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
I haven't watched the video but I assume what he means is for lack of a better way to explain it other than TEW terms but a "figurehead" which is like a Hogan, Cena, the attempt at face Roman, etc. One guy to point to and say that's the guy

But I don't really think that's ever been a goal on the face side, maybe MJF on the heel side yeah. Feels like the old debate of philosophy on NWA having top heel Ric vs WWF having top face Hogan and which is the better way to book all over again lol (the answer is both work if done well)
yeah thats never been the case imo in aew. unless you count mox, then they already have one

Rosie

Neo Genesis
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
dJvrW4y
Favorite Wrestler
kevinsteen
Favorite Wrestler
Se3BZPQ
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Sports Team
2DciFqq
Favorite Sports Team
OQcgyMS
Favorite Sports Team
coloradoavalanche
Favorite Sports Team
vCLYUUD
he's on crack, they have a bunch they are buiilding up. If anything they have too many top level faces atm :
Mox
Hangman
Cole
Ricky
Takeshita
Kenny isn't even really a heel either

I think Moxley and Hangman are the top two on there along with Kenny (who I only put less since he was heel until his return). Adam Cole needs to get involved before he can be truly seen as a babyface full stop and that storyline to establish him. As for Ricky and Takeshita, they are in the process of being built. But their faces mostly aren't quite as white hot as Cody or even Sami are in WWE, and I'm saying it as a fan of AEW.

Reactions: The Gipper

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
yeah thats never been the case imo in aew. unless you count mox, then they already have one

Hangman's rise you could maybe point as them trying but too many other faces were still hot then for it to ever just be one top guy. Punk, Hangman, Moxley all were the most over face at one point but it's always been more competition there than the heel side. And I don't even think that's bad, it's usually harder to have more good faces lol I just think that's where Dave is seeing his complaints stem from.

Also theory, he's getting a bit tired of MJF and doesn't know how to articulate that properly bc he's scared MJF will roast him on Twitter lol

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
2020 Moxley was probably the easiest time to point to someone being "top face" bc he carried that title for awhile after the pandemic way better than I was expecting

Canadian Dragon

The Ace of WS
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
9Cf16sP
Favorite Wrestler
v9xmgrN
Favorite Wrestler
f0aLDLP
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Ya but aew has had those faces white hot n can heat em at any time. Right now the storybis mjf, comparing it to wwe is stupid imo it b like comparing face roman to peak hangman

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
Ya but aew has had those faces white hot n can heat em at any time. Right now the storybis mjf, comparing it to wwe is stupid imo it b like comparing face roman to peak hangman

Again haven't watched the video so maybe he did mention Sami but him pointing to Cody as the example instead is funny to me lol if anything gotta include them worst but Sami def gets hotter reactions rn, Cody is second but there's a big gap

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
Guess you can also point to all that merch Cody sold at the Rumble tho so points for both depending on your metrics

Canadian Dragon

The Ace of WS
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
9Cf16sP
Favorite Wrestler
v9xmgrN
Favorite Wrestler
f0aLDLP
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
it's just a weird comparison anyways, like Cody just got thrusted into a white hot babyface slot and its mania season. apples to oranges to me, AEW is pretty clearly focused on building up a bunch of guys atm while MJF has a reign of terror at the top. WWE is hitting the conclusion of a 2 year long angle and a returning cody, heading into their biggest show of the year. doesnt really make sense to me to use a wwe example to talk about aew in this scenario.

Alexa

Forever on Holiday
Reaction score
Jerichogan...there is a reasons I call him that

Alexa

Forever on Holiday
Reaction score
Also, how can Cody be a babyface with the name "American Nightmare"? That would be like if AEW had their top babyface called "Texas Psycho" or something.