Matt Stafford

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Did the Lions pay TOO MUCH for Matt Stafford?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Kaedon

Reaction score
hes only makin like 12 million a year. its not even close to what entire teams spend on their roster. its still like as much as peyton manning makes and stafford is obviously no peyton manning. rookies should start out at a few million with a lot of incentives for them to do good.

His total contract is close to what some teams spend on a whole roster in a year, add to that more than HALF of it is guaranteed. He could flop out in one season and hes still set for life. WAY TO PROTECT YOUR TEAM LIONS

X-Sterl-X

Reaction score
Well there just a terrible team, making decisions like this is why they will continue to flop. They paid him like 15-20 mill more than calvin... He won't be as good as his position as Calvin Johnson is. Horrible front office decision.

Enigma22

Reaction score
All I have to say is holy hell, My falcons last season paid a shitload of money for Matt Ryan and it worked out. Staffored imo is not going to be the savior for the Lions that he is made out to be, he wont do what Ryan and Flacco did. He will be more like Cutler, except he will start from day 1. When you are paid that kind of chedder you better cut the cheese from day 1 haha. What other options do they have? Daunte Fucking Culpepper? He wont be a winning QB for 3-5 years and I am sure when he starts off something like 3-5 or somewhere in that neighborhood the Lions' fans will already be chanting out "BUST!" or "We Want Culpepper" whenever he throws a pick/loses a game.

flacco didnt do shit. he just got by on an ok running game and an amazing defense. and ryan did good because he had an amazing running game. stafford has nothing around him besides one good receiver so i doubt he will do much. he might be the next jamarcus russell.

phantomgerald

He is, to date, the highest paid first round pick of all time. You do NOT have to give a guy THAT MUCH money, especially when he's unproven. This notion that you "HAVE" to do it, is bull. Especially when what he makes RIVALS WHAT ENTIRE TEAMS SPEND ON THEIR ROSTER!!!

Every single year, the agent of the first pick will negotiate at least a 5% increase. And that's the way it goes, Lions have no choice but to pay that money to whoever they have chosen. Agents are a part of the NFLPA too and not a single agent will be willing to get equal or lesser money than last year's pick. So no, it's not bull and it's the only reason they have to do it. Even the Lions aren't not dumb enough to pay him when they don't need to.

Hopefully the next CBA there will be a rookie cap.

straight_edge76

flacco didnt do shit. he just got by on an ok running game and an amazing defense. and ryan did good because he had an amazing running game. stafford has nothing around him besides one good receiver so i doubt he will do much. he might be the next jamarcus russell.

That's what I meant, they weren't expected to do what they did in college; throw 80% of the time and that is why they were successful. What does Stafford have? Calvin Johnson...no run game...no defense...no offensive line, and he is not as mobile as Ryan and Falcco. He wont be a QB of consequense for 3-5 years.

ratedrko09

Reaction score
i think they had no choice since they cant afford more bad pub after their epic performance last year

Travis40

Stafford will be a bust....just watch.

Out of the next Big 3 QB's, I think Colt will be the best NFL QB. Oklahoma QB's always have injuries that cause them to retire before they can even take their first snap in the NFL. If Bradford can stay healthy, he'll be a good QB, but not great. I really hope that Tebow can do well at the next level, but I think he'll either have to change his style of play, or he'll get seriously injured. McCoy could get drafted around the middle of the first round by a team like Arizona, and could instantly step into the starters role.

Travis40

I know it's just preseason, and preseason doesn't mean shit.....but Stafford has looked like a joke when I've seen him. He acts like he doesn't know what he's doing.

Enigma22

Reaction score
ya i saw him against the browns. i was not impressed

phantomgerald

He doesn't look that bad. He was ok as a rookie. But Sanchez have really outshone him. But I wonder how much we can place the blame n the QBs. Jets have a great line, Lions line was horrible.