Matt Hughes To Fight Again?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Swinny

Reaction score
All I'm saying is that catchweight would be easier. It would stop him draining himself in the lead up to the fight. If he's not training hard, he's not going to be 170 lbs.

Why wouldn't he be training hard though? If he's going into what is most likely going to be his last fight, he's going to train hard for it.

Catfish Billy

Reaction score
Why wouldn't he be training hard though? If he's going into what is most likely going to be his last fight, he's going to train hard for it.

Where did you get the idea that I said he wouldn't be training hard for his last fight? You said that throughout his career he's been 170 pounds. I stated that he's not training for a fight now so, he's probably a bit over it. At the moment, all that he's been doing is hunting and going on the road according to his website. If he's hunting and on the road (most likely eating out a lot) then, he won't 170 and will have to cut weight. He hasn't looked good in his last fights, having the burden of cutting weight during his camp isn't going to do him any favors.

Plus, I think Lytle would knock his ass out and collect his final bonus if they were to fight.

Swinny

Reaction score
You said "If he's not training hard, he's not going to be 170 lbs", so that is why I said that. Whether he's training or not know I'm sure he's still doing other things and staying in shape if he really plans to have one more fight. This conversation is kind of pointless though because he will fight at welterweight if he fights again and I'd be willing to put money on that. :tongue1:

Hoss

HELL IS NOT A MYTH
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
I'm still most interested in seeing him take on Jake Shields. Just saying.

Catfish Billy

Reaction score
I'm still most interested in seeing him take on Jake Shields. Just saying.

It would be interesting enough. It's funny that a year ago, people would have laughed at this match up.

Swinny

Reaction score
It would be interesting enough. It's funny that a year ago, people would have laughed at this match up.

I don't think they would have laughed at it. Yeah, Shields was considered one of the top welterweights in the world, but Hughes was coming off a few wins, until the BJ Penn loss.

Also, with Sanchez losing to Ellenberger, I'd definitely like to see Hughes vs. Diego, since that was supposed to happen before Hughes ended up fighting Koscheck. Only issue is I don't think Hughes could keep up with Diego's pace these days, so I don't know how winnable that fight would be for him.

Catfish Billy

Reaction score
I don't know if him fighting is such a good idea, I don't think he would have much of a chance against most credible fighters in the division. He may prove me wrong though.

Hoss

HELL IS NOT A MYTH
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
No, Diego would still blow right through Hughes. Putting him against Lytle or Shields gives him a high profile match that he still at least stands a chance in. I very strongly believe that UFC fans would rather see Hughes win against a lower caliber opponent, than to lose twice in a row against higher caliber opponents. He needs a fighting chance at a good sendoff, not a big disappointment.

Swinny

Reaction score
No, Diego would still blow right through Hughes. Putting him against Lytle or Shields gives him a high profile match that he still at least stands a chance in. I very strongly believe that UFC fans would rather see Hughes win against a lower caliber opponent, than to lose twice in a row against higher caliber opponents. He needs a fighting chance at a good sendoff, not a big disappointment.

I think Shields would have just as good of a chance to beat Hughes as Sanchez though. He may be coming off two wins, but they're to the best in the world in GSP and Ellenberger who is a real contender and of course just beat Diego. Also, he has just lost his father going into that fight, so that could have had something to do with that outcome as well.

Catfish Billy

Reaction score
The article is over two weeks old, but I only found it today.

matt_hughes-thumb-572xauto-202247_large.jpg

Women, right?

Former Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) welterweight champion Matt Hughes has not been heard from since losing to Josh Koscheck at UFC 135 via first round knockout in Sept. 2011.

After the bout, which marked his second loss in a row, Hughes didn't quite commit to retirement, but stated he would be on the shelf for a long while and would only come back if the UFC felt they needed him to compete.

And now, the UFC Hall of Famer is ready.

Speaking to Ariel Helwani in a UFC on Fuel TV interview, Hughes says that despite his wife's wishes, he is ready to mix it up once again and is just waiting for UFC head honcho Dana White's say so.

"I want to fight again, my wife tells me I'm going to retire, so Dana is the deciding vote. We will talk to him and see what happens. I'd like to talk to him tonight, but I have not seen him yet. I don't know yet to be honest. I think Dana can be the final decision-maker. My wife is a great lady, but she is not going to tell me when Matt Hughes retires. I'm just hoping I can fight next, we will see what happens. I am not scouting any one out, I'm just hoping the opportunity is till there for me. As soon as this old body can get back into shape I'd love to jump back in there, so, that's another that he'll (White) answer for me."

After ruling the UFC welterweight division for years, Hughes feels he still has enough to get back inside the Octagon and go toe-to toe with the rest of the 170-pound field.

However, after competing for so many years and doing pretty much all you can do in the sport of mixed martial arts (MMA), is it wise for Hughes to return to action and risk another loss? And would that tarnish his legacy?

One thing is for sure: should Dana White give Hughes the green light to return to action, it will be interesting to see just who he and UFC matchmaker Joe Silva put the country boy up against.