Matt Hamill Retires From MMA

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
After 13 fights inside the octagon, Matt Hamill has decided to retire from MMA.

The UFC light heavyweight today made the announcement on his personal website.

Hamill (10-4 MMA, 9-4 UFC) suffered a second-round TKO loss to Alexander Gustaffson this past Saturday at UFC 133, which was his second consecutive setback following a decision defeat to Quinton "Rampage" Jackson at UFC 130.

"To be honest with you, after 'Rampage,' he was done," Hamill's trainer and manager, Duff Holmes, today told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). "He told me, 'I just can't stand the constant pain.'"

The born-deaf fighter suffered several injuries throughout the course of his career in the UFC, including a pinched nerve in his neck that ailed him prior to the Jackson fight. He also re-injured his shoulder, which was separated in his December 2009 fight with now-champ Jon Jones.

"I was ready to make this decision after UFC 130, but my friends, family, coaches and most importantly my daughter encouraged me to give it one last chance," Hamill wrote in his announcement. "My career has been plagued by injuries starting with 'The Ultimate Fighter' and disrupted my training ever since.

"There hasn't been even one training camp where I've been able to train without training around an injury. I have not been kind to my body, and it has nothing left after 28 years of nonstop competition. It's time to finally give it a rest."

Hamill, a lifetime wrestler, and Holmes will continue to train fighters at their gym, Mohawk Valley MMA, in upstate New York.

"I couldn't be prouder of him, and he's taken me on this amazing journey he's been on," Holmes said. "He has nothing to hang his head about."

The 34-year-old Hamill leaves the octagon with a 9-4 record (10-4 overall). He has notable career victories over former champ Tito Ortiz, Keith Jardine and Mark Munoz. Although he is the only man to hold a win over Jones, he doesn't consider it one due to the outcome of the fight (Jones was disqualified for illegal elbows).

A three-time Division III wrestling champ at Rochester Institute of Technology, Hamill first became known to fans on "The Ultimate Fighter 3." He won a preliminary fight on the reality show but was forced to withdraw with a concussion.

A movie based on Hamill's life is set for a fall release.

"Thank you to all my training partners who have shared their blood sweat and tears with me along the way," the fighter said. "Thank you to all my friends and family for their unconditional support and most of all thank you to my fans! It's the fans that have made this the truly special experience it has been.

He hasn't looked his best in the past few fights and it is good to see him retire rather than continue when he isn't at his best. I have never been a big fan of Hamill but he did a lot in MMA and I am sure inspired many other deaf people around the world.

Dademo

Reaction score
I wasn't surprised but I didn't think he would retire at this moment. I wish him good luck in the future though.

Slim

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
newageoutlaws
Favorite Wrestler
tara
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
When I first heard about it I was like eh. Didn't care. Now days later I'm still of the same feeling. I mean yeah it was an inspirational story for the deaf guy to not only make it to the UFC but to be rather successful and mainevent a pay per view.

But... he was still... just okay inside of there. So he retires with his head still functional. Not a lot of damage or being broken down.

Andrew

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisbenoit2
Favorite Wrestler
princedevitt
Favorite Wrestler
sethrollins
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
johncena2
Favorite Wrestler
ricochet
Hamill was well known in the deaf community and is a #1 fan amongst those deaf people who watch UFC. I was always a fan of him because he inspired many people that he could do something that nobody thought he could do and that was be a UFC Fighter. Even though he wasn't the best or great, he will always leave a mark in the deaf community.

For him to retire was probably the right decision.