Match of the Year Candidates?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Mr. Roman Empire

The Game
Main Eventer
Reaction score
They'll probably give the Slammy to Baley vs Sasha

I dont agree with it tho.

Mr. Roman Empire

The Game
Main Eventer
Reaction score
Who'd you give it to, though? Besides Lesnar/Cena/Rollins.

I mean, that Sasha vs Bayley match at Brooklyn was fantastic, IMO.

Thats thing, I would give it to Rollins/Cena/Lesnar lol

I stopped watching WWE for 10 years (stopped watching in 2005). I still watched some of the old stuff on Youtube here and there. Then I decided to buy the WWE network to watch old PPVs mainly from Attitude Era/Ruthless Aggression. I bought the network in January and saw that the Royal Rumble was on it so of course I had to watch. The triple threat match was so good, that I probably watched 5 or 6 times that week. And then watching the Rumble and finally catching up on who the hell all these new wrestlers were got me back into watching WWE. But I still give credit to that triple threat match for literally getting me back into the show again and keeping my subscription.

But I think that Cena vs Owens had a better match than Baley vs Sasha. Especially the one at Elimination Chamber with Owens going over. I also think Taker vs Lesnar at HIAC was better, not from a technical wrestling standpoint, but more of a dramatic psychology standpoint with it being the rubber match and all the blood and the ring being torn up at the end. Also Reigns vs Lesnar was great and more exciting, it felt almost like a legitimate fight. And then Rollins cashing in was probably the biggest moment of the year.

I don't really get the hype for Baley vs Sasha honestly. Maybe its because I don't watch NXT very often. I thought they put on some good matches but (and people will probably think I'm sexist for saying this but what ever) they only got the hype that they did because they are girls. And its the first time that women in WWE are having actual matches that aren't just 6 minutes long with some big titty bitches that can't wrestle. And other male wrestlers could of done that match, spot for spot and it would of been whatever

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
Since others are mentioning non WWE matches, and no one has mentioned this yet, I'll add AJ Styles vs Tanahashi Hiroshi in the G1 Climax. It was easily the best match of the tournament.

Reactions: Red Rain

C.M. Shaddix

The Architect
Hotshot
Reaction score
Brock vs. Cena vs. Rollins I guess is a good candidate, damn that was a while ago, all I remember Cena doing was just AAing and STFing the whole match while Lesnar and Rollins did fucking great.

MOTY will go to a different company though, WWE didn't have that much good stuff this year

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
Brock vs. Cena vs. Rollins I guess is a good candidate, damn that was a while ago, all I remember Cena doing was just AAing and STFing the whole match while Lesnar and Rollins did fucking great.

MOTY will go to a different company though, WWE didn't have that much good stuff this year

Lesnar was actually out of a great deal of the match when Rollins put him through an announce table. All 3 guys did well, though I tend to agree Rollins and Lesnar were better... but definitely a rewatchable match.

Roadster

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
uUsHwHt
Favorite Wrestler
CVWSrPC
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
L1l4tIp
Since others are mentioning non WWE matches, and no one has mentioned this yet, I'll add AJ Styles vs Tanahashi Hiroshi in the G1 Climax. It was easily the best match of the tournament.
Saying Tanahashi Hiroshi in English is the equivalent of saying it backwards in Japanese. :heyman2:

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
Saying Tanahashi Hiroshi in English is the equivalent of saying it backwards in Japanese. :heyman2:

It actually is not. There is no steadfast rule either way but I've spoken Japanese for 9 years now and had it hammered in my head from both my community college sensei (who is a native Japanese speaker) and my university professor (who lived in Japan for 12 years) that it is actually considered rude by some to put the surname last whether you're speaking in English or Japanese.

Last edited:

Roadster

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
uUsHwHt
Favorite Wrestler
CVWSrPC
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
L1l4tIp
It actually is not. I've spoken Japanese for 9 years now and had it hammered in my head from both my community college sensei (who is a native Japanese speaker) and my university professor (who lived in Japan for 12 years) that it is actually considered rude to put the surname last whether you're speaking in English or Japanese.
Literal translation is backwards, though. At least that's what I learned from my 4 month Japanese course in the 7th grade.

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
Literal translation is backwards, though. At least that's what I learned from my 4 month Japanese course in the 7th grade.

That's fine. I think my 4 years of schooling and 9 years speaking and the fact that I translate Japanese to English for a living trumps that just a tiny bit :rock:

Roadster

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
uUsHwHt
Favorite Wrestler
CVWSrPC
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker