Mafia General Discussion

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Marty McFourth

Indy Wrestling Connoisseur
Reaction score
Can we please nuke the section, it’s too toxic

tumblr_peuo539MdM1rvtmx4o5_500.gifv

Banez

Below average mafia player in mafia section near you.
Reaction score
Sounds like Brutus wants to make Fallout mafia game.

Marty McFourth

Reaction score
Interest check:

A smaller Mafia game between 13-15 players that has no night posting aside from Mafia in their QT and a max posting limit for each player during day (I'm thinking 50)

Why I think this would be good:

It would make Mafia feel like less of a commitment and people couldn't flood the thread with too many posts (like myself) making it harder for others to catch-up. No night posting means people can chill out during the entire phase. A smaller playercount also means games would be ran and filled much faster.

Interested to hear any thoughts, I know @Poyser liked the idea of no night chat. I'd be down to co-design a smaller set-up with these mechanics with somebody to run after my Line of Duty game or before then, I don't mind. As an experiment. I doubt it'd be hard to design such a set-up and I could easily think of a theme.

Reactions: Chris

Poyser

Pathological Liar
Reaction score
Interest check:

A smaller Mafia game between 13-15 players that has no night posting aside from Mafia in their QT and a max posting limit for each player during day (I'm thinking 50)

Why I think this would be good:

It would make Mafia feel like less of a commitment and people couldn't flood the thread with too many posts (like myself) making it harder for others to catch-up. No night posting means people can chill out during the entire phase. A smaller playercount also means games would be ran and filled much faster.

Interested to hear any thoughts, I know @Poyser liked the idea of no night chat. I'd be down to co-design a smaller set-up with these mechanics with somebody to run after my Line of Duty game or before then, I don't mind. As an experiment. I doubt it'd be hard to design such a set-up and I could easily think of a theme.
yeah I’m happy for hosts to experiment as they see fit (as long as the balance of the game itself is ok obviously) which is why I was fine with the sack race too. I do think some people would appreciate no night posting. In terms of the posting limit, I’m not against it or anything but it would have to be up to the host to keep on top of this and warn players when they’re getting close. I don’t think it’s really fair to keep it up to the player to track their own posting. Easy enough to do though, the host can just copy and paste everyone’s post count at the start of the phase, and then publish it upon phase start so that if the players want to keep track of their own posts, they can. Then maybe the host gives them a warning once/if they go over 40 posts

Reactions: Marty McFourth

Marty McFourth

Reaction score
yeah I’m happy for hosts to experiment as they see fit (as long as the balance of the game itself is ok obviously) which is why I was fine with the sack race too. I do think some people would appreciate no night posting. In terms of the posting limit, I’m not against it or anything but it would have to be up to the host to keep on top of this and warn players when they’re getting close. I don’t think it’s really fair to keep it up to the player to track their own posting. Easy enough to do though, the host can just copy and paste everyone’s post count at the start of the phase, and then publish it upon phase start so that if the players want to keep track of their own posts, they can. Then maybe the host gives them a warning once/if they go over 40 posts

That's why I suggested I get a co-host to design and host it with me, because I have never done smaller games with such mechanics but I would say I'm pretty active as a host, as people will know from my WF hosted games.

I would keep on top of players and their post counts. I'm thinking vote changes/unvotes should be still allowed if a player reaches the max limit for the day. Although there isn't many players in this section that reach such highs every day. Last game I think it was only really myself, TP, Flay and you. If I'm recalling that correctly.

Tracking post counts is easy as pie on this site. The warning at 40 posts works me for me.

Marty McFourth

Reaction score
The day posting limit is just a suggestion btw, just having no night chat would be fine too.

I just notice that a lot of players post about how there is too much to read and they don't really want to sift through so many posts.

Ace

Reaction score
Yeah experimenting with things like this are cool as long as the host doesn't take any post-game feedback personally.

Marty McFourth

Reaction score
Yeah experimenting with things like this are cool as long as the host doesn't take any post-game feedback personally.

I would say I take feedback better as a host than a player lol, It's the whole point of hosting imo. My goal is to try to make my games as fun and fair as possible.

@Showtime @CraigPelton You guys have any thoughts on the above set-up suggestion? I know you guys like to play but don't want to have to shovel through so many posts.

CraigPelton

Dean of Greendale Community College / Pals Era Pioneer
Reaction score
Post limits could work, I think for the majority of players it wouldn't even affect them. This would just make it so the more active players have to combine their thoughts into fewer posts, which is fine.

My issue with No Night Posting is it could lock some players out of posting based on their timezone, especially later in the game when day phases resolve more quickly while most players (EST and UK times) are around. For players in PST such as myself and Magic, and those in Aussieland, I could see this being an annoyance.

Poyser

Pathological Liar
Reaction score
Post limits could work, I think for the majority of players it wouldn't even affect them. This would just make it so the more active players have to combine their thoughts into fewer posts, which is fine.

My issue with No Night Posting is it could lock some players out of posting based on their timezone, especially later in the game when day phases resolve more quickly while most players (EST and UK times) are around. For players in PST such as myself and Magic, and those in Aussieland, I could see this being an annoyance.
Yeah that’s a good point. You could maybe make sure days go the full 24 hours, and if a hammer is reached beforehand then have the rest of the time as a twilight or something where people can still talk up until the end of the phase time. Not sure what to do about flips, but I guess you probably wouldn’t post it til the end

Marty McFourth

Reaction score
50 is too small because some people, even with less activity, would not get to 50. 100 is more reasonable to ensure the game is still active.

Are you talking about overall post count throughout the entire game, Magic?

I said 50 because I was thinking per day phase. For example TP racking up over 100 posts in the first day phase, although I know that's a rare case :lol

Fair point on the timezones.

With the post limits, it might be okay to still have night chat but just optional as people aren't going to post a ton during night in that case. Although I do like Poyser's suggestion on a 'twilight' before Night officially begins. It just might be annoying for people to wait so long for flips. I know I get antsy when someone has been hammered.

Showtime

Reaction score
Are you talking about overall post count throughout the entire game, Magic?

I said 50 because I was thinking per day phase. For example TP racking up over 100 posts in the first day phase, although I know that's a rare case :lol

Fair point on the timezones.

With the post limits, it might be okay to still have night chat but just optional as people aren't going to post a ton during night in that case. Although I do like Poyser's suggestion on a 'twilight' before Night officially begins. It just might be annoying for people to wait so long for flips. I know I get antsy when someone has been hammered.

no i mean per phase, 100 per phase lol.