Luigi Fioravanti Gripes About M-1 Challenge, Much Ado About Nothing

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

WrestlingSmarks News

Reaction score
20091009063945_5572_large.jpg
Slam! Sports caught up with Luigi Fioravanti and Joe Doersen to talk about their upcoming fight on June 10. Fioravanti is coming off a loss to Andrei Semenov at M-1 Challenge XXV, and wanted to get a few things off his chest about fighting over in Russia for M-1:

"I'd take the guy down and he was grabbing on the ropes and he was kneeing me in the (groin), poking me in the eyes and throwing elbows (to the head) when there are no elbows in M-1," Fioravanti said. "If you watch the fight, every time he kneed me or something, I (said to the ref), 'He's kneeing me in the balls; he's poking me in the eyes.' I kept telling the referee and he thought I was just bull-----ing."

"The thing is, there's no (athletic) commission in Russia. So his coach was giving him something to smell. I don't know if it was smelling salts to wake him up in between rounds or what. I was just kind of like, 'What the hell? I don't fight like this.'

"It was in a little vial or bottle or something, but what can I say? It's not illegal over there."

My eyes widen a bit when I find an opportunity to slam M-1 for some transgression or another, so I checked out the fight on Youtube to investigate Fioravanti's claims...

...and I'm not sure what he's talking about. Semenov throws a knee in the first that may have landed low, and the referee broke up a clinch in which Fioravanti had a waistlock from back control. Questionable stuff, but not outlandish.

In fact, the most egregious thing I could find was Semenov refusing to stay put in the neutral corner after the referee halted the bout for an obvious low blow late in the third. Again, though, this is small potatoes in the larger scheme of the fight.

As for the smelling salts accusation, if it took place, the cameras didn't pick it up.

It's possible that Fioravanti's gripes are legitimate, but at first glance it looks more like sour grapes.