Lucky to be alive right now

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

pumpt73

Reaction score
For those who don't know, Im a journeyman electrician in one of the largest coal fired power plants in the world. A job I've been at for over 10 years now. This morning I got a job I've done 100 times, testing a 4160 volt motor. We do this from the back of the breaker where our field cables go out to the motor. I went and seen my red tag was on the right motor and proceeded to the backside of the bus (a series of breakers linked together, but can be isolated). I removed the test stud caps, hooked up my ground and went to put my first lead on when I got a spark. This I knew wasn't normal. I looked up and noticed the operator had opened the wrong door. I was on #3 coal mill and he opened #4. Had I kept going, I would have been electrocuted. Whew, what a wake up call..

Reaction score
Pumpt facts:
He's just a city boy, born and raised in South Detroit...
Probably looks like the Brawny Man
Knows MMA better than anyone here and will punch your teeth straight to your nutsack if you disagree
Once got someone addicted to painkillers by shaking his fist at them
Once powered his entire coal plant by himself...simply by flexing.

He is Pumpt, IWF's manliest man.

No sarcasm intended, glad you're alright, pal.

pumpt73

Reaction score
Pumpt facts:
He's just a city boy, born and raised in South Detroit...
Probably looks like the Brawny Man
Knows MMA better than anyone here and will punch your teeth straight to your nutsack if you disagree
Once got someone addicted to painkillers by shaking his fist at them
Once powered his entire coal plant by himself...simply by flexing.

He is Pumpt, IWF's manliest man.

No sarcasm intended, glad you're alright, pal.

LOL!!! Thanks Enzo. I needed that. That shook me up pretty good. Im usually not complacent like that. Thats what I get for trusting someone else.

I can tell ya, I will never make that mistake again on that job.

pumpt73

Reaction score
LOL, very true TIO. I'll be honest, it's pretty scary. I've been bit by 120 volts, 277 volts, once by 100 volts DC which hurt like hell, and even once by 480 which will wake you up to say the least. To paraphrase Mirko CroCop, 480volts Hospital, 4160volts cemetary.

pumpt73

Reaction score
Thanks MK and TC, I appreciate it. One thing I'll say is it wasn't manliness, it was pure luck that's for sure. I don't know if it was because I had my ground hooked up or what, but I should have drawn an arc and a fireball. If you haven't seen an arc before, check them out on youtube. Just type in electrical arc and Im sure you'll find one. But thanks for the tip of the hat Knox.

*Hold IWF World Championship, looks deeply into the center plate, and returns to the real Champion*

...god...

Reaction score
Damn, that's crazy, pretty dangerous job. How much do you make doing this?

Also, you should fuck that guy up.

pumpt73

Reaction score
Oh yeah bro. That's just a small part of the plant. We produce 1000 degree steam at 3500PSI. If you get the chance look up Monroe Power Plant on Google Images and you'll see how big it is. I make pretty good money. I can't complain. I've been here since 2000 and haven't made less than $50,000 any year I've been here. Last year I made $91,000. Overtime a plenty that's for sure.

...god...

Reaction score
damn, nice, you need a degree for that shit? EE?

Also, something funny to note is the way you told your story is the same way this video of this dude we are ALL required to watch when starting where I work where he starts his story like the same way, saying how he was sent to a job he's done 100 times and took a risk and some shit and it lead to him exploding an entire gasoline conversion powerplant and being lit on fire and scarred for life. Although, you didn't really take any risks or shortcuts to my knowledge so that's good and inconsistent, maybe you've seen the video idk, the guys name is Charlie.

pumpt73

Reaction score
Not at all. If you can get into a trade school or apprenticeship, it usually takes 3 1/2 - 4 years and you're full Journeyman status. I got mine through an apprenticeship at work. I started out as a Boiler operator. I took classes for that, and about 6 months into my first year, the company posted Mechanic and Electrician apprenticeships. I was lowest on the seniority list and didn't think Id even get an offer, but I put a bid in on each anyways. Low and behold, a month and a half later, I got offered Electrician and accepted it. 2 days later, I got offered Mechanic. Once I turned out, the US Department of Labor sends you a cert stating that you've gone through an accredited apprenticeship. Plus because the class work was through Henry Ford Community College, I got a certificate from them as well, and made Dean's list. Went on and took my Michigan State licensing test and got that. And now Im finishing up my Associates because I only needed 5 more credits to get that. So Im pretty blessd. It's definitely a job that's in demand.

I haven't seen that particular video, but I've seen stuff like that. It doesn't take much if you get careless here. Even your everyday tools can get you. I've seen guys loose fingertips because of grinders, bash knuckles because of wrenches slipping. And then there's the things you have no control over like the steam lines. We had a cold reheat steam line let go on our turbine deck once. An 8 inch thick seamless pipe opened up and leveled the 3rd floor. Blew all the windows out, took out any small trailers that were there, and leveled every brick structure. It looked like straight out of a bombing. When you come in here, you just have to put that kind of stuff out of your mind and jus focus on what your doing and your surroundings. It's pretty amazing what has to be done before someone can flip the light switch on to read a book, watch TV, or play a video game.

Reaction score
Damn bro, glad to hear you're OK. I got a friend that works in safety, and he's always telling me about crap that can go wrong, or has gone wrong. I'm not 100% sure what he does, but I know he doesn't work with coal, I know he works with electricity alot though. Jobs like yours and his are some jobs that not everybody would want to do, that's for sure.

...god...

Reaction score
That's crazy, but yeah, glad you're okay. I assume the benefits there are pretty good as well?