Luchablog - Lucha free agent has signed with AEW/ROH

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Canadian Dragon

The Ace of WS
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
9Cf16sP
Favorite Wrestler
v9xmgrN
Favorite Wrestler
f0aLDLP
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf

AAA

“Black Taurus” is no more. The guy under the mask is fine. Let’s call this man “Bert” (not a real name) to make this paragraph less confusing. AAA owns the “Taurus” gimmick, that’s not in dispute. Bert portrayed the Taurus character in AAA from 2015 to 2016. Bert then left AAA, modified both the outfit and the name ever so slightly, and portrayed “Black Taurus” for a couple of years. Bert also registered the Black Taurus name and outfit, and appeared on TV in Mexico (for Lucha Libre Elite) as that character. Bert returned to AAA in 2018. He resumed using the “Taurus” gimmick on AAA shows, but kept the “Black Taurus” branding for his outside and independent work. That outside work included his time in Impact Wrestling, where Bert was billed as “Black Taurus.” AAA appeared OK with that. AAA raised no objections of Bert using “Black Taurus” on indie shows or on merchandise. Bert, again under “Black Taurus,” appeared in an ROH show and an AEW show. AAA has been less OK with that. To me, there are three ways this could’ve gone:

1. AAA could’ve let the “Black Taurus” gimmick go of any issues because of their great friendship and alliance with AEW
  2. AEW could’ve decided Bert’s ownership of the Black Taurus character was legally sound, and just stuck with the character over AAA’s objections.
  3. AEW could decide to modify the “Black Taurus” character and name to something slightly more distinct from “Taurus” to avoid any legal issues.
Option 2 wasn’t a real choice. I think Bert (and AEW) would have a strong case, but AEW recently settled a lengthy lawsuit over the Luchasaurus mask. I expect they’d rather not deal with that for another character, especially one they’ve only recently and barely put on TV. Option 1 seems a great possibility if AAA and AEW were on good terms. It’s going to be Option 3; I’m told Bert was prepared for that to be a possible outcome. I don’t know exactly what Bert will look like or be called when you see him on TV again, but I’m expecting his name won’t have the word “Taurus” in it

TV is the key here. AAA’s probably not this upset if Bert is working untelevised indies, and there’s no reason for Bert to invest into a new character without TV promotion to get it over. It may take a few days for you to read this same information behind a paywall, but this means Bert’s got a AEW/ROH deal.

This Taurus issue may be another aspect of that AAA/TNA announcement; there was a definite spirit of “Friendship Ended with X, Now Y is my best friend” to that deal. It’s also possible someone could end up as the new Taurus in AAA, just as there are new Octagons and Myzteziz. It’s debatable if that strategy helps the wrestlers, but AAA feels it helps AAA.

Canadian Dragon

The Ace of WS
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
9Cf16sP
Favorite Wrestler
v9xmgrN
Favorite Wrestler
f0aLDLP
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Man I wish he would just go by Bert that’d be amazing
presskit_ss_bio_bert.png

Canadian Dragon

The Ace of WS
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
9Cf16sP
Favorite Wrestler
v9xmgrN
Favorite Wrestler
f0aLDLP
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
they should just debut him as Ramon Rein
mdfib89wq7dc1.png

Roy Mustang

Reaction score
It wouldn't shock me if the AA partnership with AEW is done once Tony gets Vikingo. Bert will be a good addition to the roster