Lucha Underground on El Rey

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Stopspot

Now I’m a big, fat dynamo!
Reaction score
So bye bye to Ricochet on the indies then if the rumors of el Ray not allowing work on the indies are true.

But maybe he had enough weight to negotiate a good deal.

I'm actually excited for this

Bort

WALKEN'
Reaction score
I'm excited too, but don't be surprised if it had very little lucha. Fuck, not even the hardcore lucha bloggers have any clue what it might be about.

Apparently Alberto has reached some kind of agreement with WWE because he has a lot on them.

Stopspot

Reaction score
I wonder if there will be some sort of overhanging plot (it is said to be taped in seasons after all). Or if that would be too forced.

Stopspot

Reaction score
FIRST LUCHA UNDERGROUND TAPING FOR THE EL REY NETWORK TONIGHT, UPDATES ON ALL WE KNOW
By Mike Johnson on 2014-09-06 10:11:27
The El Rey Network will begin taping episodes for "Lucha Underground" tonight in Boyle Heights, Los Angeles. El Rey is very much behind the series and want it to be an important piece of original programming, becoming the third original series the network has created and launched since going on the airwaves.

Here's everything we know about the Lucha Underground series thus far:

The set is quite similar to the old Wrestling Society X, designed to look like a wrestling show set up inside a warehouse with bleachers on one side and raised seating in wooden chairs around the ring. There are "Lucha Underground" posters everywhere to add to the underground feel. In another WSX similarity, there are bands advertised as playing the tapings this weekend, but I don't know if that's scheduled to be part of the actual TV product or not. There are several different levels of the arena which should provide ample material for crazy dives.

Confirmed as working for the series are Luchadors Blue Demon Jr., Sexy Star, Drago, Fenix and Pentagon Jr., DGUSA Open the Freedom Gate champion Ricochet, Chavo Guerrero, John "Morrison" Hennigan, Ricky Banderas aka Messias in TNA, Martin Casaus, Famous B, Matt Cross, B-Boy and Ricky Reyes. Konnan will appear in a non-wrestling role. Former WWE referee Marty Elias is booked. Many of them will be wrestling as new personalities and characters created by the series.

Matt Striker and Vampiro will be the announcing team.

Aaron Aguilera, Kaos and Ivelisse Velez are all booked for the taping to work "dark" matches with the idea that should they come to terms, their footage could be incorporated into the show.

Rocky Romero had also been offered a deal for the series, but whether he signed or not is unknown as of this writing.

The series is headed by former WWE creative team member Chris DeJoseph with former WWE writers Chris Roach and Matt Stollman also working on the show.

Talents who have passed on the series are Mike "Evan Bourne" Sydal, Joey Ryan, Candice LaRae, Scorpio Sky, Mike Sydal, The Young Bucks, Kazarian and Erik Watts (Tough Enough alumni)

I've heard Los Ben Dejos and Los Banditos names also bandied about as possibilities for the series over the last two days, but have not confirmed whether either team will be working the tapings.

Several episodes will be taped tonight and tomorrow. They have additional taping dates of 9/13, 9/14, 9/27, 9/28, 10/4, 10/5, 10/18, 10/19, 10/25 and 10/26 set, which means the series could tape as many 24-36 episodes by late October.

Lucha Underground will debut on The El Rey Network on 10/8.

Initial press releases for the project have indicated that the series would also develop "monthly and quarterly specials" as well as live PPV events as well as licensing and merchandising for the production.

Bort

WALKEN'
Reaction score
Matt Striker and Vampiro.

lnrqekJ.gif

Bort

WALKEN'
Reaction score
Credit: Pwinsider.com

Quote:
The El Rey Network's Lucha Underground series taped its first episodes tonight in Los Angeles. We don't have spoilers as of this writing as the taping requested fans turn phones off in an attempt to ward off results leaking out. So, based on what we have heard thus far, here are some plot points and highlights from the taping:

Martin Casaus of Tough Enough fame worked under the moniker "Magnificent Martin."

Matt Cross worked under a mask billed as name "Lord of Havok" and at one point, wrestled AAA female Luchador Sexy Star.

Ricochet, billed as Prince Puma, wrestled John "Morrison" Hennigan in what was said to have been an awesome match.

There is a heel trio featuring the former Ezekiel Jackson, Ricky Reyes and 'Lil Cholo from the California indy scene. One person I spoke to believed the trio was dubbed "The Crenshaw Crew." Crenshaw is an area of LA.

Blue Demon Jr. wrestled Chavo Guerrero Jr.

No sign of Fenix or Pentagon Jr., although they were scheduled for the taping.

Matt Striker and Vampiro were indeed the announcers.

The crowd seemed to feature very little wrestling fans and a larger percentage of extras. Fans were asked to keep their cell phones off during the taping.

Bort

WALKEN'
Reaction score
Pentagon Jr.!

I may as well put this too:

Chris Dejoseph interview http://pwtorch.com/artman2/publish/P...l#.VB4RDektDug

Confirmed 39 episodes for the first season will be run in 3 cycles but not 13 episodes each. Maybe 9, 16 and then 14.

Target audience is 18-49 years old. Probably was Robert Rodriguez decision because his network has nudity and profanity that's not bleep out. Its crazy because I never seen a network that shows commercials but have nudity. I doubt Lucha Underground has both.

No commercials during matches unless its a special match. He also made it a point that the matches will not be short.

Men, women and minis are equals.

There will be wrestling 80% of the time which I highly doubt. There will be multiple styles of wrestling.

They turned away people at the last tapings.

The original Sin Cara/Mistico Myzteziz might show up.

Stopspot

Reaction score
3ad97299292c93e42ed3fd961d063f00._.jpg

Teaser of Ricochet as Prince Puma

Reactions: Bort

Stopspot

Reaction score
More and more people added to the roster on El Rey's website. So far Sexy Star, Blue Demon Jr, Mill Muertes, Prince Puma and Johnny Mundo are among the people added (i don't remember the names of the rest and can't be arsed right now to go back and double check.)

Stopspot

Reaction score
Lucha Underground will tape TV today and tomorrow in Boyle Heights, Los Angeles.
Prince Puma, the character Ricochet will be portraying, is going to be billed as from Boyle Heights, so he'll be the hometown hero.

There's been talk of bringing the former original Sin Cara in.

Lucha Underground has been looking for a house band to play on the series. A casting notice that was sent out was looking for a band that could play their own original music on the series with the gig paying $750 per episode.

Lucha Underground also issued a casting notice seeking several female models to sit in the crowd for this weekend's tapings.