Lucha Libre discussion thread

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Roadster

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
uUsHwHt
Favorite Wrestler
CVWSrPC
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
L1l4tIp
I don't think Vampiro did commentary. English commentary was done by TNA.

Roadster

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
uUsHwHt
Favorite Wrestler
CVWSrPC
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
L1l4tIp
Ahh, that sucks to hear.

By the way... Who does TNA now, Matthews and Pope? If so, then meh.
Yeah Matthews and Pope.

Matthews thinks he's hot shit but Pope is funny.

Roadster

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
uUsHwHt
Favorite Wrestler
CVWSrPC
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
L1l4tIp
I've been watching classic Lucha from the 80s and early 90s and one thing that I've found amazing is the story of El Santo. His 4 decade career is so amazing and studded with accomplishments, and he is the father of modern day Lucha, in my opinion. He is the godfather of how wrestling superstars are perceived. He starred in 40+ movies, which were all done while in his El Santo character, and was one of the best drawing stars in history. His overall character and the evolution from his early days, to his physical peak in the 60s to his prime in 70s, it's just an amazing story to follow.

El Santo is 37-0 in Luchas de Apuestas. From my knowledge that's a record or at least one of the greatest of all time. He has shaved more heads and ripped off more masks than anyone else. And he did these all over Mexico and South America. I've seen a handful of the televised ones and they are classics. Though he wasn't exactly the greatest "wrestler" in terms of in-ring talent and skill, he definitely had the character and work ethic to be a star. He wasn't just a wrestling star, he was an icon in Mexican pop culture. His death is still memorialized by many Mexicans to this day. He was one of the original mask stars, and though he didn't have the most promising start, he became an absolute legend.

He had a storybook career and life, in my opinion. He only showed his face once in his entire career and it was a month (or something like that) before his death. He even got buried in his mask, in what is considered the largest funeral procession in Mexican history. Despite his son, El Hijo del Santo being the better in-ring talent, he isn't nearly as good as one would expect Santo's son to be. He is more of a midcard veteran who is known and respected but isn't exactly a fucking hero as Santo was. Santo was the star of comics, TV shows, wrestling promotions, movies, and is a Mexican icon.

I think he draws parallels to Muhammad Ali of the Lucha world. Just so many things and so many great accomplishments, and despite being over his heyday during the time he retired, he was still drawing and putting on amazing shows and being a character everyone could look up to. To many people he was wrestling in Mexicao. There was a pretty big drop off of Mexican wrestling popularity after his death, but luckily Lucha has been recovered. He was really the ultimate face. Unlike Hogan, Santo was the embodiment of a face. He not only was a face in the ring but out of it. I really, really enjoy what I've seen of him. Some 30 years after his death, and he's made another fan.

I have no school; i'll be writing stuff like this a lot more now

Roadster

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
uUsHwHt
Favorite Wrestler
CVWSrPC
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
L1l4tIp
Gran Guerrero, who is Ultimo Guerrero's son but is pushed as his younger brother, is extremely talented.

Stopspot

Now I’m a big, fat dynamo!
Reaction score
Apparently Jinzo (not familiar with him) will be working the Cruiserweight Classic.

Roadster

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
uUsHwHt
Favorite Wrestler
CVWSrPC
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
L1l4tIp
Apparently Jinzo (not familiar with him) will be working the Cruiserweight Classic.
Debuted in AAA, toured with NOAH a few years back but wrestles the Mexican indies nowadays.

Roadster

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
uUsHwHt
Favorite Wrestler
CVWSrPC
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
L1l4tIp
Possibly, in response to Mascara Dorada going to the CWC tourney, Lucha Libre Elite is going to hold their own lightweight tournament. Each wrestler will represent a country, with the Mexican representative being determined in an Elite Rumble.

Roadster

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
uUsHwHt
Favorite Wrestler
CVWSrPC
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
L1l4tIp
Volador Jr is the Mexican representative in the ELITE tournament.

Roadster

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
uUsHwHt
Favorite Wrestler
CVWSrPC
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
L1l4tIp
So, Kushida and Michael Elgin are on excursion to Mexico.

And the ELITE tournament is looking better and better than the CWC. Sabu is representing Saudi Arabia.

Roadster

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
uUsHwHt
Favorite Wrestler
CVWSrPC
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
L1l4tIp
Really cool to see Mexico trying to take care of their veteran wrestlers.

Roadster

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
uUsHwHt
Favorite Wrestler
CVWSrPC
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
L1l4tIp
Mr. 2013, Thunder died of Stomach Cancer today.