Lucha Libre discussion thread

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Leo C

Backlund Mark
Reaction score
So CMLL seems pretty dumb to have a bunch of their top singles matches done in another company, but this Elite tourney thing sounds great to watch lol

Roadster

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
uUsHwHt
Favorite Wrestler
CVWSrPC
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
L1l4tIp
So CMLL seems pretty dumb to have a bunch of their top singles matches done in another company, but this Elite tourney thing sounds great to watch lol
What do you mean?

Leo C

Backlund Mark
Reaction score
What do you mean?
Correct me if I'm wrong, but this Elite promotion (which I assume has a good relationship with CMLL, but is in fact another company) is doing a round robin tourney with a bunch of CMLL top stars, right? So CMLL is cool with another company burning through a bunch of their top singles matches? That's odd to me.

Drag

Reaction score
I've been watching LU for a while now and recently caught up with all of it. Given that it uses a lot of AAA guys I was thinking of giving that a go, anyone recommend any good matches/shows to start with?

Roadster

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
uUsHwHt
Favorite Wrestler
CVWSrPC
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
L1l4tIp
I've been watching LU for a while now and recently caught up with all of it. Given that it uses a lot of AAA guys I was thinking of giving that a go, anyone recommend any good matches/shows to start with?
Watch their Rey de Reyes show. It's uploaded on their YT. Has an amazing TLC match, and a good amount of LU guys.

Reactions: Drag

Roadster

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
uUsHwHt
Favorite Wrestler
CVWSrPC
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
L1l4tIp
Correct me if I'm wrong, but this Elite promotion (which I assume has a good relationship with CMLL, but is in fact another company) is doing a round robin tourney with a bunch of CMLL top stars, right? So CMLL is cool with another company burning through a bunch of their top singles matches? That's odd to me.
Doesn't matter if LLE does star studded matches. CMLL's stories make the same matches 5x better. Look at Atlantis vs. Utlimo Guerrero, match quality aside (since it was 5* match) knowing what was at stake, their history and their careers in general made that match feel like Rock vs. Austin.

Leo C

Backlund Mark
Reaction score
Doesn't matter if LLE does star studded matches. CMLL's stories make the same matches 5x better. Look at Atlantis vs. Utlimo Guerrero, match quality aside (since it was 5* match) knowing what was at stake, their history and their careers in general made that match feel like Rock vs. Austin.
Eh, I still think doing a big singles match like this can make a future match less meaningful if not enough time passes (unless the first one builds to the rematch somehow). Even if the rematch is better.

Roadster

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
uUsHwHt
Favorite Wrestler
CVWSrPC
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
L1l4tIp
Ultimo Guerrero vs. El Caristico - though Caristico sucks donkey scrotum, this match really showcased some of his best work.

And El Mesias is a bad ass.

Roadster

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
uUsHwHt
Favorite Wrestler
CVWSrPC
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
L1l4tIp
Cage has been coming out with a "Vote Donald Trump" t-shirt and tron. Amazing.

Roadster

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
uUsHwHt
Favorite Wrestler
CVWSrPC
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
L1l4tIp
Brian Cage getting that ME push. Teaming with the Mega Champ, and getting a rub from El Mesias. :damn:

Leo C

Backlund Mark
Reaction score
Just watched the last 3 matches of Rey de Reyes... Pentagón/Villano/Parka was fine I guess, although I really don't like the heel ref thing. Texano/Mesias seemed alright, and Wagner/Psycho was very fun, enjoyed it a lot.

Roadster

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
uUsHwHt
Favorite Wrestler
CVWSrPC
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
L1l4tIp
Just watched the last 3 matches of Rey de Reyes... Pentagón/Villano/Parka was fine I guess, although I really don't like the heel ref thing. Texano/Mesias seemed alright, and Wagner/Psycho was very fun, enjoyed it a lot.
Texano and Mesias was great. They've been the top stars in company for a while and winning the finals to a title that's been vacant since October, it was epic for what it was.

THG?

The Game
Technician
Reaction score
can the lucha marks single out some good elite matches from recent times? watched dorada vs xtreme tiger the other week and it was amazeballs. like the vibe of it all.

Prince Bálor

I'm kind of a big deal
Reaction score
Some Lucha news:

Fight Network to Debut Weekly CMLL Wrestling Series on Cinco de Mayo

Toronto – Fight Network, the world's premier 24/7 multi-platform channel dedicated to complete coverage of combat sports, announced today a multi-year deal with Mexico-based CMLL Wrestling for a weekly series to air on Thursday nights across Canada.

CMLL Wrestling premieres on Cinco de Mayo, Thursday, May 5, 2016 at 9 p.m. ET. The weekly episodic program will debut in the same timeslot every week.

Founded in 1933, the Mexico City-based promotion is characterized by 'Enmascarados' who fling themselves from the top ropes and dart about the ring in colourful masks. Lucha libre emphasizes action over dialogue, providing rapid sequences of holds and manouevres, feats of 'derring-do' and the level of athleticism required to be a 'luchador.' CMLL helped launch the global cruiserweight division, spawning the careers of some of Mexico's greatest stars. The weekly show features Atlantis, Ultimo Guerrero, Rush, Mascara Dorada and many more.

"The demand for a weekly CMLL Wrestling series in Canada speaks volumes about the dedicated professional wrestling fan base across the country," said Chad Midgley, VP of Fight Network. "The product is consistent with the high quality viewers have come to expect from Fight Network, and what better day to launch the series than Cinco de Mayo, a celebration rooted in Mexican tradition."

For more, visit fightnetwork.com or follow us on Twitter @fightnet, become a fan on Facebook and visit us on Instagram @fightnet.