Lucha Libre discussion thread

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Farooq

Chairwoman of The New Day
Reaction score
D-Generation-Mex lol vs Black Family

Mean Smark Callous

The Artiste
Reaction score
Website
www.redmeat.com
We have one for New Japan, why not one for Lucha (CMLL and AAA) ?
Who's your favorite luchadors right now? I've been trying to get into lucha lately. Rush is pretty cool, and Mistico II (although not as good as Mistico classic/sin Cara)

good call sir. i've lived in los angeles all my life and lucha libre is very popular here. i'm the only white guy i know that actually watches aaa and cmll they have house shows in my area seen alex koslov rassle once.

Bort

WALKEN'
Reaction score
Random lucha, all things CMLL, AAA, IWRG and countless indies. Ask anything, although I'm far from a go-to guy. Might do a list of modern must-see wrestlers and matches later.

Right now, I wanna recommend you an already essential match:

These two are having an eternal blood feud filled with wild brawling, blood, cheating and mask ripping. It's all one giant build to an inevitable Mascara vs. Mascara match, but not neccessarily, this is Mexico we're talking about, and Wagner's asking price for losing the mask is 500K minimum.

At this point, death seems like doing them a big favor. Funny thing is, I had no freakin' idea they wrestled each other again. This match is why Park is the greatest wrestler alive.

Anyway, the match is fun, wild and insane, it has lighttubes, blood, mask ripping and a highly rigged ref. Since it happened in Monterrey, a town that despises clean finishes so much it might be their gimmick, don't get confused/annoyed, it's all a part of lucha charm.

ufOTLGU.gif

Stopspot

Now I’m a big, fat dynamo!
Reaction score
I've been interested in getting into Lucha for a while now. But I have had problems finding a way to watch shows and knowing which of the feds that is putting out the better product right now.

Bort

WALKEN'
Reaction score
RUSH (CMLL)

YGcqlY2.png

Top 5 wrestler world wide, and one of the greatest heels nowadays. Arena Mexico hates him so much they had to turn him heel (rudo), and he's so damn great at it. He's a top notch aggressor and evildoer, he also uses Chris Benoit's entrance theme because he doesn't give a shit.

Currently, he runs a stable with La Sombra and La Mascara, they're pretty damn good:

Bort

WALKEN'
Reaction score
Essential lucha matches from this year, although I'm pretty sure I forgot few matches, especially from the indie scene:

****3/4

****1/2

****1/4

Psycho/Texano

Bort

WALKEN'
Reaction score
CMLL 81 Aniversario links from thecubsfan: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/thecubsfan/1

This is why I love lucha libre. In Mexico, pro-wrestling is religion indeed. One of the most emotional moments in a looong time, I shed a tear or two. The whole history and bigger-than-life meaning of masks summed in those 45 minutes.

My reaction for main event and the aftermath:

ABDs84L.gif

Watched the opener, cabellera match and main event, obviously. Opener was good enough, three stars. Cabellera was FANTASTIC, CMLL's got themselves something truly special in Cavernario, dude's already the Top 10-15 material, world wide, if they don't fuck him up he might become a huge draw, the Mistico level. Rey Cometa impressed as well. ****1/2

Main event was cinematic, incredible and immensely emotional, such a rollercoaster of feels, the whole aura of the match was bigger than life. Technically, the match WAS NOT perfect, but this is not gymnastics where you grade moves and execution, no, this is pro-wrestling - a complicated yet so simple art of performing and entertaining the crowds. ****3/4

Bort

WALKEN'
Reaction score
Dead thread much?

I highly recommend watching Villano IV vs. Blue Demon Jr. from AAA 4/19 this year:

I watched it half a year ago and loved it, now I fucking adore it, Top 5 match of the year, mos def. The match starts around 55:00 mark.

Bort

WALKEN'
Reaction score
For Alberto del Rio fans:

Texano & Perro vs. Patron & Mesias was fantastic, probably the best Patron performance I've ever seen, right up there with that Ziggler double turn match. Of course it was a brawl, of course it was bloody, of course it was great
960381670780a0c8984cb8ded4753298.png
:

55 min mark.

Bort

WALKEN'
Reaction score
A must-see Super Fly vs. Aerostar mask match:

Unprotected chairshots, lots of mask ripping, blood, struggle and apeshit crazy moves, all that in less than 15 minutes. Fantastic apuesta match, old school meets new school.