Looking back on Edge/Taker

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

MikeRaw

Wow. Whart a match we witnessed last night between the Undertaker and Edge. But this thread isn't about JUST that match, I want to talk about the whole feud, and how it will be remembered.
I know some people may think it went a bit too long, and that may be, but I think that doesn't make it a bad feud, because really, it was the only A + feud they had for so long on SD, and they made it work.
So, do you think, in years to come, you will remember this AMAZING feud as one of the best in recent times? Will you remember it at all?

I definately will. I mean, from a match standpoint, how can you not? TLC, HIAC, No DQ, and others are all matches they have taken part in, and the TLC and HIAC may be some of the best matches in the past 5 years, if not more. These two have definately had enough great matches to make it be remembered.

Secondly, from a promo and storytelling/awesome moments perspective, I think it will be remembered too. Edge, during this entire thing, has evolved so much, through his awesome promos. This feud had him go from an oppurtunistic cheating guy, to transforming to an ass kisser, and a wife-user, starting when he returned at Survivor Series, and then back to his old, badass, fearless self we see now.
Every single promo he has had has been amazing, and on occasion, some of Undertaker's stunts like stalking, etc, have been memorable too. But all in all, they have had a very solid story told, with several twists along the way (retirement, marrige, Edge finding himself, Edge cheating, Undertaker returning, Edge returning during Batista/Undertaker HIAC)

So ya, this feud has been amazing IMO, and one that lasted TEN MONTHS, and goes back further than that with their past history. And it qalways seemed to stayu entertaining.

So do you think you will remember this as a very good, and enjoyable feud in the future, and now that it looks like it's over, what are your overall thoughts on it?

humankiller99

Reaction score
i think it was a good fued and I hope its over. though i think edge will somehow try to get revenge on Taker.. but im thinking vickie will thank taker on SD friday night and award him a title match at unforgiven vs HHH..

Reaction score
Yeah, this was one of the better feuds over the years and one that I will remember. More then the feud itslef, I think i will remember the HIAC match more. Unlike the TLC match, this had no outside interference. There were two men beating ths shit out of each other and many classic stunts prefromed.
All in all it was a great Feud to watch and had a even better finsh... if that was the finsih.

Airfixx

Yeah, damn good fued... A testament to the performers behind the storyline... Respect is without a doubt due!

One thing I felt was that there was one too many matches in the earlier segment of the fued (I was totally uninterest in what was their 3rd standard PPV match in a row)... As I try to recal how the fued played out it all becomes a bit of a blurr at that point for the same reason and IMO maybe the match at Judgement day was surplus to requirements... At that stage I reckon it was time for the gimick matches and they could have skipped the JDay match (Suspend Taker cos of the "gogplata" banning, have taker 'dissapear into the shadows' to play mindgames or sumthin' else for a couple of weeks.) and then had the TLC for the vacant title...

WM.... Taker wins WHC.
Backlash... Taker wins/retains.
Judgement Day... Title vacant... Taker wins by countout.
ONS... TLC.. Edge wins.
SSlam... HIAC. Taker wins.

So then.... What now for Edge? .....Maybe he needs to have a word with Kane and borrow his mask if he's not gonna be wearing it on Raw? .....Or maybe he's just gonna miraculous escape burn-free from his firey 'grave'? ;o]

umnic

Reaction score
The HIAC at SummerSlam was w/o a doubt a blockbuster. Easily one of the best HIAC's we have seen, and of the 15.. one of maybe 5 that stood true to what HIAC is all about - two men, wreaking pure havoc on each other (not a standard wrestling match, in a cage that hardly gets used).

At first I was a little upset the match didn't venture on top of the cell, but then I realized most anything you could do from there, has been done, and then it wouldn't so much be hIAC, but, HoutsideAC.

Full of devestating maneuvers, and spots.. easily 4 stars.

As far as the feud goes? Eh..

I've been a little put off by the whole thing. Aside from the ONS match, and maybe the WrestleMania match - I didn't really think any of them were all that great. We saw a few too many standard matches, and poor finishes.

Promo wise - The Edge/Vickie thing seemed really forced and redundant until the seperation angle, which took Edge to a whole new level. It's rare you see a heel become a super heel like that, and Edge was just the guy to take that step, and did so perfectly.

Where do we go from here? The Undertaker hasn't been new or creative in 10+ years, in my opinion. After the Corporate Ministry, I haven't seen a single new thing from him. But, I guess if it isn't broke, don't fix it. I just don't know how much longer that horse is going to ride.

Edge had just hit such a huge turning point in his already stellar career, and then the WWE sends him down in flames with a horrible looking chokeslam/ring collapse angle. As mentioned before, there's no way Edge can come back on SD! Friday and be completely normal. We've undoubtedly either seen the last of Edge for a while, or we're going to see a horrifying new Edge (ala The Brood??)..maybe it'll be for the best, but I just don't see how.

Then again.. in WWE.. you can get hit head on by a car, and just get "grazed", so maybe Edge put on flame retardant tights.. *sigh* here's to hoping.

The Rated R CMStar

I think I may be in the minority, but I want to see another encounter between Edge and Taker. I wouldn't be mad(or surprised) if we end up seeing a 3 Stages from Hell match pretty soon

umnic

Reaction score
Orton will probably be brought back to SD! and either team with Edge, or feud with Taker... though Taker/HHH could be exciting.

Y2Jasmine

Reaction score
I wouldn't mind seeing more Edge vs Taker either. It's not like there is a whole lot of other choices for them to use as Main Event. Even the addition of Triple H hasnt done a whole lot to spice up the ME division. But it still may be to soon, and I am glad that they went ahead and got Khali vs Triple H out of the way already, since it was inevitable.

But as far as the feud, I think it was a very good one, and whenever people ask, what was the best feud Edge was in, Taker will have to be up there in the top 3. With Taker, I dont know if I would consider this feud one of his best ever, but it was definately a good one. I'm just happy that the storyline lead around to Edge being the psychotic heel, because that is by far my favorite gimmick of his.

umnic

Reaction score
I was always fond of the Kennedy/Taker program. Edge/Cena was solid, despite Cena. I agree though, seeing Edge get old school and crazy was a highlight for sure.

Moonlight Drive

It was fucking awesome. If it wasn't for HBK/Y2J Feud of the Year for sure.

It's very similiar to the feud I mentioned above, will all the twists and turns. I mean, NOBODY though Taker would get banished, then he did. They all said he'd come back in the wedding, he didn't. Also, the evolution of Edge was very akin to the Evolution of Y2J when you think about it.

HIAC is one of my matches of the year so far, right behind Flair/HBK

Austin_316

Reaction score
I enjoyed the feud but felt it was a little long as you said 10 months. On the other hand the matches were awesome with all the twists and turns that occurred i believe i will remember this as one of the best i have ever seen in the 11 years i have watch WWF/WWE. Taker has had several changes since then and Edge has become a big star since and they were also together in the Ministry so have worked together before so this was exciting to see them go against each other for such a length of time.

PW's KJ

Reaction score
Edge/Taker is right there with Batista/Taker as the SD! feud of the past couple years. In fact, it's the best thing I've seen since Angle/Lesnar on the program.