Live WrestleMania Night 1 Discussion Thread - Saturday April 6th 2024

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Kross Rhodes

Israel Has the Right to Exist
Reaction score
Website
wrestlingsmarks.com
Favorite Wrestler
emma
Favorite Wrestler
YA1yyED
Favorite Wrestler
frmoJZU
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
yeah Triple H talked about that on Logan Paul's podcast.
Just interesting to air these things before the main event. It’s one thing if we do it after. Also not as bad doing it on like a shoot interview but like wrestlemania just ended and then they aired that commercial before the press conference. It’s like you shouldn’t kill the kayfabe on your actual wrestling broadcast. Lol.

I am interested in seeing that documentary though. At least then they can set the record straight. All the fans try to act like they had all this planned out six months ago.

Reactions: epo1984

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
Kross Rhodes said:
Just interesting to air these things before the main event. It’s one thing if we do it after. Also not as bad doing it on like a shoot interview but like wrestlemania just ended and then they aired that commercial before the press conference. It’s like you shouldn’t kill the kayfabe on your actual wrestling broadcast. Lol. I am interested in seeing that documentary though. At least then they can set the record straight. All the fans try to act like they had all this planned out six months ago.
Yeah it is too early to talk about it.....but I think TKO don't give a fuck about kayfabe and think that op3ning the curtain gives them more credibility as entertainment.

Reactions: Kross Rhodes

Kross Rhodes

Reaction score
Website
wrestlingsmarks.com
Favorite Wrestler
emma
Favorite Wrestler
YA1yyED
Favorite Wrestler
frmoJZU
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
Well that was a night. Got to see Gunther’s reign end in person and see The Rock wrestle.
You got some great moments to see in person.

Kross Rhodes

Reaction score
Website
wrestlingsmarks.com
Favorite Wrestler
emma
Favorite Wrestler
YA1yyED
Favorite Wrestler
frmoJZU
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
Well that was a night. Got to see Gunther’s reign end in person and see The Rock wrestle.
I hope you get to see Cody finish the story.

Hidden Blaze

The Wanted Man
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
MOLAnG4
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
homd3TG
Favorite Sports Team
gLxCq87
Favorite Sports Team
WrE8t1L
Favorite Sports Team
lurU13l
Favorite Sports Team
HHst8yg
gueas that journalist doesn't know what remission is
To be fair, Pat said on commentary tonight Roman was battling it.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
Vegeta said:
To be fair, Pat said on commentary tonight Roman was battling it.
yeah, taking meds is still battling it tho....remission just means it's stalled, not cured, but you're a smart guy and I'm connfident you knew that....no diddy.

Hidden Blaze

The Wanted Man
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
MOLAnG4
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
homd3TG
Favorite Sports Team
gLxCq87
Favorite Sports Team
WrE8t1L
Favorite Sports Team
lurU13l
Favorite Sports Team
HHst8yg
yeah, taking meds is still battling it tho....remission just means it's stalled, not cured, but you're a smart guy and I'm connfident you knew that....no diddy.
I’m just saying why the person asked about it, he even brought up the comments from Pat when asking about it.

Storm Trooper

If I can be Storm Trooper for a Minute
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
zackryder
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
samizayn
Favorite Wrestler
7rtdSS0
Favorite Wrestler
88j8DYn
Favorite Wrestler
LmZfvje
Favorite Sports Team
RRzOmtg
Favorite Sports Team
bMIeUcR
Favorite Sports Team
T5Zw0Si
Holy shit what a good time. I'm spent beyond belief right now after a wrestling doubleheader.

Glad Rock won tomorrow gonna be a cinematic shit show in the most awesome way.

epo1984

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Wrestler
codyrhodes3
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
homd3TG
Favorite Wrestler
roIjoft
Favorite Sports Team
zFgjY9e
So woke up at 12.45 after 3 hours sleep and then just woken up from another 2.5 post "Wrestlemania Saturday". Honestly, with the exception of one single moment on the night, that was a very good show.

Good idea to open with Trips. It's felt all week like they were turning the page on Vince, and the proclamation of a new era probably did it officially.

Becky and Rhea was a very good match. In terms of mania openers a strong contender, for me, for a top 5 slot from the past 40 years. Set a strong tone for the rest of the night. 8/10

The tag title ladder six pack match was good. The pre match rundown from Pretty Deadly was entertaining and you have to question why they were given this role but not included in the match and a spotlight shone on them. They'd have made a good addition and hopefully post mania they will form part of a string tag division on Smackdown. I called the R-truth hot tag and pin (even put the pin attempt on my bingo card). Nice to see A-Town Downunder win the tag titles over on Smackdown. Think it's a reward for the consistency of both and how good a job they did in the Grayson Waller effect segment in Melbourne in getting Seth and Cody over as a team. They then pretty much sat out the rest of the match after Waller went through a ladder still celebrating. Kofi's trust fall was a visual treat but still something bugs me about a bunch of guys waiting to catch you. The spot that left me wincing the most was Ciampa's air rad crash off the top of a tall ladder, especially given his neck issues. Bate took it well. The crowd mega popped for truths win, which was lovely. I was surprised as how little Judgement Day seemed to matter in this, which worries me for night 2 and a possible cash in. Anyway 6.5/10

Rey and Andrade against Dominik and Santos Escobar. Okay. I have a big problem with this match. More specifically the ending. I felt of everyone, Andrade shone the most. You have to wonder why he didn't work at AEW and how TK let this talent slip through his fingers. His moonsault and explosive offence hits every time (running double knees a personal fave). But outside of Andrade this was...meh. very flat. The springboard was a good moment. But then the ending. Oh the ending. Having two Philadelphia eagles support at ringside would have made sense of we'd seen them already and earlier in the match there was some face off at ring side between Dom and them . Instead we got two giant luchadors, which was kind of exciting at first until McAfee started saying they look like legends. I'm not a big NFL follower so I had no idea who they were but for commentary. I guess for some fans in the arena they wouldn't have the commentary, so any non NFL following fans from outside US may have been like "who the hell is this?" Honestly feel like Escobar and Dom deserved a little better after such a strong year. 3/10

Jey Vs Jimmy felt a little flat. I have no idea why, but it was missing...something. a spark. It was possibly one of the matches with more emotion and history than any other match on the night. But...well...it was just functional. The YEET/NO YEET spot was good, but the match never really got going. Jey's spear was rushed and looked bad. Thought it was the right result but their interactions during the royal rumble match were way better. 5/10

Bianca, Naomi and Jade Vs Damage Ctrl I feel was slightly in the wrong spot. Should have gone before the main event to bring the crowd down a little bit more. But as a match felt it was solid. I was waiting for a Bianca / Jade foreboding spot but it didn't come. Made Jade look strong and hid her inexperience, slightly at the expense of Bianca and Naomi. 6/10

Sami Zayn Vs Gunther. Sami, Sami, Sami! What. An absolute journey this one was (and this is why I felt this needed to trade places with the six woman tag as we were so tired post this one). What a match. Sami truly is the ultimate underdog from the underground. He sells so well, but even if he didn't, Gunther is so strong and powerful everything he does looks like it kills you. I think it was good to show Gunther finally getting too cocky, taunting Sami's wife. It's been coming for a while and the ring general will have to admit to his cohorts in Imperium that he actually got something wrong. The finish was explosive, in the way only Zayn can come back from a beating. What a match. I think Gunther has to move on up the card for his inevitable title shot in August at Bash in Berlin. 10/10

Cody and Seth Vs Rock and Roman was a good match. It must have been nearly an hour long, right? The video hype package was playing at 4.10am and at 5.05am was wrapping up. The rock looked incredible but lost a bit of the explosiveness (but age does that to you). This one didn't get going until after they'd all been outside the ring. The timing on the miscommunication/ spear slot was great from all involved and Rock sold like he had been hit by a freight train. I thought the Rollins splash spot was great too. I was genuinely surprised that Rock went through a table. Not phoning in this return at all. The spear through the timekeepers barricade is a tired spot but effective at explaining why Seth wasn't around for the finish. The finish worked with an injustice and a visual of Cody being pinned could be a vision of what awaits tomorrow so was quite strong. I like all the stories and ramifications from this , with Seth battling a knee and back injury tomorrow for his match versus Drew and all the possibilities that a bloodlines rules match brings. Good match and capped off a strong mania night 1. 7.5/10

Overall an 8/10 night for me.

epo1984

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Wrestler
codyrhodes3
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
homd3TG
Favorite Wrestler
roIjoft
Favorite Sports Team
zFgjY9e
Also somebody needs to re-think some of these match sponsorships.

The usos match was sponsored by Dude Wipes, so literally the shits

• Haha

Y2Jayne

2 levels above, 2 steps ahead
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho2
Favorite Wrestler
DeSDzbM
Favorite Wrestler
9nCExBd
Favorite Wrestler
LDuO6dG
Favorite Wrestler
LBaYVuW
Favorite Wrestler
ToxicA
Remember when Wrestlemanias had Limp Bizkit or Rev Theory as their theme song and not some mainstream pop music? At least we still have NXT.

Y2Jayne

2 levels above, 2 steps ahead
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho2
Favorite Wrestler
DeSDzbM
Favorite Wrestler
9nCExBd
Favorite Wrestler
LDuO6dG
Favorite Wrestler