Let's talk about RPGs!

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

RedDwarfTechy

WWEF's Resident Hologram
Reaction score
image_kingdom_come_deliverance-23966-2864_0008.jpg

I have recently been playing Kingdom Come: Deliverance almost non stop.

This made me realize how much I missed a good RPG! That's when I thought it would be a good idea to talk about some good rpgs.

When's the last time an RPG grabbed you so much that you just couldn't stop playing it?

For me, before KC: D it was the The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt.
img_2034-1024x576.jpg

It had an amazing story, was fun to play and had plenty of content!

¡Tranquilo!

World's Finest Failure.
Reaction score
Assassin's Creed Origins is the last proper open world action RPG I played and it was absolutely Phenomenal. Dispite my gripes with the story I loved the Ptolemaic Eygpt setting. Honestly it was some of the best 100hrs I spent on any game, I highly recommend it.

Been slowly getting through Witcher 3 and I'm not feeling it tbh. Maybe it's due to open world fatigue after playing Origins so much.

While on the topic, Action RPG's are great, Nier Automata and Bloodborne being two of my top 5's of all time.

I should probably try playing a more traditional RPG/JRPG but turn based combat always kept me away.

RedDwarfTechy

WWEF's Resident Hologram
Reaction score
Assassin's Creed Origins is the last proper open world action RPG I played and it was absolutely Phenomenal. Dispite my gripes with the story I loved the Ptolemaic Eygpt setting. Honestly it was some of the best 100hrs I spent on any game, I highly recommend it.

Been slowly getting through Witcher 3 and I'm not feeling it tbh. Maybe it's due to open world fatigue after playing Origins so much.

While on the topic, Action RPG's are great, Nier Automata and Bloodborne being two of my top 5's of all time.

I should probably try playing a more traditional RPG/JRPG but turn based combat always kept me away.

I never enjoyed Turn Based so never got into the whole JRPG thing but AC: Origins was awesome. The thing with Witcher is that the first I believe 5-10 hours of the story isn't so exciting but really the best overall game i've played in years!

Black Wizard

サイバーパンク
Reaction score
And here I come being the one who loves turn based games and basically grew up on JRPGs. Huge fan of turn-based stuff and the ATB system like in Final Fantasy, Chrono Trigger, etc. If you name a classic JRPG, there's a good chance I've played it. Huge fan of the games like FF Tactics and Disgaea, strategy JRPGs are fun. And don't even get me started on Shin Megami Tensei/Persona, I can talk allll day about those games. Doesn't have to be turn based though, huge fan of things like the Soulsborne series, Dragon's Dogma, the Ys series. Tales series, Secret of Mana, soooo many good JRPGs. Definitely don't shy away from western RPGs though. The Fallout series are some of my favorites of all time, both the isometric turn based ones and the 3D ones (except Fallout 4, that game was a big letdown and is barely a RPG), Mass Effect series were great when they were more RPGs and less shooters, Dragon Age is pretty great. I own the Witcher 3 with all DLC but haven't gotten around to it.

Last RPG that drew me in and I'm still currently playing a ton of is Monster Hunter World. Monster Hunter games (and the clones they've inspired over the years) have always been their own breed of action RPGs, and this has been a very solid new release in the series. The fact that Capcom supports MonHun games with free DLC helps them stay fresh too so you can take a break and there's a good chance you'll come back to fresh content. Last JRPG was Persona 5. Game blew away my already high expecations, amazing art style, fun characters, incredible soundtrack, nice new systems in the game.

If you can't tell, I like RPGs.

Reactions: ¡Tranquilo!

¡Tranquilo!

World's Finest Failure.
Reaction score
And here I come being the one who loves turn based games and basically grew up on JRPGs. Huge fan of turn-based stuff and the ATB system like in Final Fantasy, Chrono Trigger, etc. If you name a classic JRPG, there's a good chance I've played it. Huge fan of the games like FF Tactics and Disgaea, strategy JRPGs are fun. And don't even get me started on Shin Megami Tensei/Persona, I can talk allll day about those games. Doesn't have to be turn based though, huge fan of things like the Soulsborne series, Dragon's Dogma, the Ys series. Tales series, Secret of Mana, soooo many good JRPGs. Definitely don't shy away from western RPGs though. The Fallout series are some of my favorites of all time, both the isometric turn based ones and the 3D ones (except Fallout 4, that game was a big letdown and is barely a RPG), Mass Effect series were great when they were more RPGs and less shooters, Dragon Age is pretty great. I own the Witcher 3 with all DLC but haven't gotten around to it.

Last RPG that drew me in and I'm still currently playing a ton of is Monster Hunter World. Monster Hunter games (and the clones they've inspired over the years) have always been their own breed of action RPGs, and this has been a very solid new release in the series. The fact that Capcom supports MonHun games with free DLC helps them stay fresh too so you can take a break and there's a good chance you'll come back to fresh content. Last JRPG was Persona 5. Game blew away my already high expecations, amazing art style, fun characters, incredible soundtrack, nice new systems in the game.

Can you recommend and good turn based JRPG's?

Black Wizard

サイバーパンク
Reaction score
Can you recommend and good turn based JRPG's?
- Valkyrie Profile (PS1)
- Chrono Trigger (play the SNES, PS1 or DS version. do not buy the mobile version, PS3 version or the Steam version)
- hard to go wrong with any older Final Fantasy game for the most part but my favorites are FF6 and FF7
- Persona series starting with 3 if you want something that is half turned based dungeon crawler and half high school student/social life simulator. cannot recommend Persona 3, 4, and 5 enough. if you play any version of P3 make sure it's P3 FES on PS2. P4 has a re-release on Vita but who owns a Vita? ...I do. Persona 5 get on PS4.
- Earthbound is an all time classic everyone should play, on SNES.
- Suikoden 2, on PS1. not super important to play the first game, it has some callbacks but you're not missing anything.

Can always drop more suggestions but those are a few random ones off the top of my head.

Reactions: ¡Tranquilo!

RedDwarfTechy

WWEF's Resident Hologram
Reaction score

I figured you did like RPGs a tad bit :emoji_stuck_out_tongue:

I love everything I'm seeing of Monster Hunter World and I can't wait for it to land on pc. Hopefully gonna be a good PC port though!

Reactions: Black Wizard

RedDwarfTechy

WWEF's Resident Hologram
Reaction score
- Valkyrie Profile (PS1)
- Chrono Trigger (play the SNES, PS1 or DS version. do not buy the mobile version, PS3 version or the Steam version)
- hard to go wrong with any older Final Fantasy game for the most part but my favorites are FF6 and FF7
- Persona series starting with 3 if you want something that is half turned based dungeon crawler and half high school student/social life simulator. cannot recommend Persona 3, 4, and 5 enough. if you play any version of P3 make sure it's P3 FES on PS2. P4 has a re-release on Vita but who owns a Vita? ...I do. Persona 5 get on PS4.
- Earthbound is an all time classic everyone should play, on SNES.
- Suikoden 2, on PS1. not super important to play the first game, it has some callbacks but you're not missing anything.

Can always drop more suggestions but those are a few random ones off the top of my head.
I've heard Chrono Trigger on steam is a Mobile Port though. Haven't played it myself but that's what I've heard.

Black Wizard

サイバーパンク
Reaction score
I've heard Chrono Trigger on steam is a Mobile Port though. Haven't played it myself but that's what I've heard.
It is.

The Steam version is a direct port of the iOS version, the touchscreen overlay is still in the game even. The mobile port was awful, so the Steam version is equally as awful. Between that and the Secret of Mana remake, Square Enix have really been dropping the ball lately when it comes to the classic games. Must be putting all efforts into the PC port of FF XV, which is disappointing since I'd love for those games to get the love they deserve. At least FF XV is a pretty good PC port, I've tried the benchmark they put out.

Reactions: RedDwarfTechy

RedDwarfTechy

WWEF's Resident Hologram
Reaction score
It is.

The Steam version is a direct port of the iOS version, the touchscreen overlay is still in the game even. The mobile port was awful, so the Steam version is equally as awful. Between that and the Secret of Mana remake, Square Enix have really been dropping the ball lately when it comes to the classic games. Must be putting all efforts into the PC port of FF XV, which is disappointing since I'd love for those games to get the love they deserve. At least FF XV is a pretty good PC port, I've tried the benchmark they put out.
They tend to do okay with the "big" games. They just have extremely large expectations when it comes to sales.

InSaNe

I lost it. I'm InSaNe!
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Favorite Wrestler
bullyray
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk
Favorite Wrestler
oAYiXZo
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Sports Team
6yloAaa
I never enjoyed Turn Based so never got into the whole JRPG thing but AC: Origins was awesome. The thing with Witcher is that the first I believe 5-10 hours of the story isn't so exciting but really the best overall game i've played in years!
You should. They are the mecca of RPG's. The current crop of RPG's don't have the same magic that Turn Based do. Trust me.

You're not the only person on the forum that likes JRPG's. I love most RPG's. You named some of the best names in the genre no matter which sector - Action or American RPG, JRPG, tactical RPG - you name it. My favorites are XenoGears, Tales of Symphonia, Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana/Evermore, I mean... damn. Squaresoft was killing it in those days.

I don't shy away from western games or western-style games, they're good if you know what to expect. Final Fantasy XV is a good game, despite being westernized. It was developed by a japanese company, but at it's core, it's still a Westernized game.

RedDwarfTechy

WWEF's Resident Hologram
Reaction score
You should. They are the mecca of RPG's. The current crop of RPG's don't have the same magic that Turn Based do. Trust me.

You're not the only person on the forum that likes JRPG's. I love most RPG's. You named some of the best names in the genre no matter which sector - Action or American RPG, JRPG, tactical RPG - you name it. My favorites are XenoGears, Tales of Symphonia, Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana/Evermore, I mean... damn. Squaresoft was killing it in those days.

I don't shy away from western games or western-style games, they're good if you know what to expect. Final Fantasy XV is a good game, despite being westernized. It was developed by a japanese company, but at it's core, it's still a Westernized game.

Just never been a fan of japanese media like anime/JRPGs/etc and the turn based is simply too 'start - stop' for me. While I understand that may not be the case for everyone, it's definitely not for me.

Rosie

Dark Side
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
dJvrW4y
Favorite Wrestler
kevinsteen
Favorite Wrestler
Se3BZPQ
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Sports Team
2DciFqq
Favorite Sports Team
OQcgyMS
Favorite Sports Team
coloradoavalanche
Favorite Sports Team
vCLYUUD
I mean, from my avatar, you can tell I have one RPG/JRPG of choice.

sylveon_gif_by_wolftamer990-d7efy0j.gif

Mustafar Reginald

The Lunatic Fringe
Reaction score
I hate how nebulous of a term "RPG" is in video games. It hardly feels like it's own genre but rather just component featured in multiple different games, like the qualifications for what defines an "RPG" seem so broad that this thread has already been about the two biggest distinguishing styles of it, the Western and the JRPG. This is a complete tangential note that I know doesn't matter but I had to bring up that I don't find "RPG" a useful genre description. Like I'm not going to be interested in a game if I hear it's an RPG, I need to dig into what type of RPG.

As for what type of RPG I like, I prefer turn-based one easily. I'm not a huge fan of open worlds in general, like it did not take long past the tutorial segment of Skyrim for me to completely lose interest in the game. Open world games in general are like that for me because while it's certainly impressive how much detail they can craft into the world and how many unique scripts and side-quests you could have at your exposure, to me it just often feels directionless and like there's no incentive for me to really do anything because the nature of it all just feels kinda meaningless. And like, this is what the main story-line is for, for players like me who almost immediately need a goal to strive for in order to play but Skyrim wants to promote freedom of choice and they absolutely should but because of this they didn't do a very good of providing incentive to continue the main quest. At least to mean, there wasn't a hook to do the main quest, and with every available, nothing felt valuable to do. It just felt like it would be a time-sink, in a world I'm not interested, I really don't like the setting a lot of these have. And this is my problem with most Western RPG's, just felt like explaining why I don't like them in general, not trying to say they're bad or anything. I have had fun with a few of them, Fallout 3 I think is my favorite of this type or maybe one of the Mass Effect. I didn't get super far in either of my play-throughs of those games either but yeah, I liked what little I played. Well for Mass Effect I really only liked having conversations in that game. Oh wait, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic exists! That's my favorite of these styles by far. Admittedly, half of my username is based off Star Wars so I got a bias there, but yeah. The ending twist was sick.

I prefer turned-based RPG's by far, whether that be typical JRPG's or tactical ones like Disgaea or Final Fantasy Tactics. In general, I found those game's contain stronger story hooks to continue on forward, and many of the contain multiple player characters so just progressing through the narrative or doing side-quests for an optional party member, feels like it has substantial weight on the game. Admittedly, for the tactical RPG's like Disgaea, I don't really care about the story, I actually just find that format of gameplay and level progression to be very satisfying and entertaining. I think it's a lot more engaging when combat contains multiple different units with different attacks that you have to maneuver around a wide terrain where certain spots can contain geographical advantages, as well as making the amount of space you can operate in (whether it be movement or attacking) vital to your success. I've never beaten the main story of one of these tactical RPG's but I've spent countless hours on both Disgaea 4 and Final Fantasy Tactics, both of which I do, one day hope to beat. Disgaea is very easy to waste time grinding. As for JRPG's, my favorite is Xenosaga Episode I. I've played all three games to varying degrees, I didn't get too far into Episode II, I actually don't dislike as much as many seem to, I was just kinda doing a playthrough with my brother (turn-based games also have the advantage of being great unintentional co-op games, I play a lot of these with my brother, we have are own characters and for tactical RPG's it can especially be really fun having to co-ordinate our strategy, whether it's something we do from the start or are forced into when doing our own thing botches.) and I went away to college during it so he finished his own file and we never went back. Episode III doesn't really require you to have played II, and I've played that til I think the penultimate boss when it became clear we needed to grind, and never found the time to grind.

Speaking of time, I barely play RPG's anymore because I barely game anymore and when I do, I usually go for something quick. RPG's, regardless of the type, are too much of a time-sink. Like I want to play Persona 4 but I also want 80 hours of my life to not be owned by one game. As I get older, it's harder and harder to justify spending so much time into one singular game. The last one I played, and I wouldn't say it blew me away though I did find myself playing it a lot longer than I thought, was Steven Universe: Save the Light. It's definitely a beginner's RPG but it's really charming, and the battle system is great (think Mario RPG button presses mixed with Final Fantasty's Active Time Battles). Definitely looking forward to playing more of that when I get around to it (I have a horrible habit of taking forever to start playing games after I take a break, I got Save the Light during the Holiday season when Free Time begins to hibernate, and I haven't gotten around to picking it up since).

InSaNe

I lost it. I'm InSaNe!
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Favorite Wrestler
bullyray
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk
Favorite Wrestler
oAYiXZo
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Sports Team
6yloAaa
Just never been a fan of japanese media like anime/JRPGs/etc and the turn based is simply too 'start - stop' for me. While I understand that may not be the case for everyone, it's definitely not for me.
Think of them as a form of "chess" or "checkers." Your job is to outsmart the CPU, either solo or with a team. I can understand that turn based games turn off some people, but in those games - you will never find a better game than RPG's if you enjoy story. Some games aren't turn based, like Chrono Trigger, Tales of Symphonia (really, the whole tales of series), and Xenogears is the perfect example of not realizing that it's an RPG, but it is an RPG. If that makes any sense. The menus aren't your typical RPG menu's, the whole UI looks like you're sitting at the actual controls of a mech. Which is fucking ingenious.