Last Wrestling Match Watched 2.0

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Crippler

Prove me wrong
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisbenoit2
WWE Night of Champions 2008 - World Heavyweight Championship: Edge vs. Batista
Some back and forth action is broken up by long restholds that kill any momentum the match was getting. But as soon as it started getting really good the screwy dirty finish happen, and that was overbooked. The best part of the match was Batista guerrilla presses Vickie Guerrero and tosses her over the top rope, out of the ring, onto Kurt Hawkins, Zach Ryder, Chavo Guerrero, and Bam Neely. This doesn't even touch the match they had at the 2007 Night of Champions Show. ***

WWE Night of Champions 2008 - WWE Championship: Triple H vs. John Cena
Video package here is excellent. I totally forgot how enjoyable this is. The match is very back and forth as it usually is with these two and they certainly know how to get the crowd into it. Considering they are both big time faces. The final stretch to the finish was pure AMAZING. For me this is the best Cena/HHH match they've had together. ****1/4

Crippler

Prove me wrong
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisbenoit2
WWE Great American Bash 2008 - Chris Jericho vs. Shawn Michaels

The build for this has been phenomenal already and it would just get better as the year would go on. They’re playing up that the eye may not be 100% after going through the screen on the Highlight Reel. This was has to be the best angle advancement match of all time, it started off with good back and forth action but as soon as Michaels eye got opened up and Jericho attacked it so AWESOMELY! That the ref had to throw in the towel because he was scared Michaels could lose sight in the eyes forever was great, Michaels sold that shit perfectly. ***3/4

Kiffy Lube

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
WCW Road Wild 1997: WCW Title Match- Hulk Hogan v.s Lex Luger(c).

So on a recent edition of Nitro, Hogan lost the World Title to Luger which ends up being pointless when Hogan decides he'll just win his title back on a bigger stage. I don't know who even thought this would be a good idea. Also, this match is mostly Hogan just beating on Luger who ends up fighting back only for the nWo to get involved and cost him the match. We get an appearance from Sting or you know a nWo member in a Sting mask to make sure Luger is always a loser. This is just slightly better than the tag main event at Bash at The Beach the month before with Dennis Rodman.

Crippler

Prove me wrong
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisbenoit2
WWE Great American Bash 2008 - WWE Championship: Triple H vs. Edge

There is really not much here that stands out, but the match itself is pretty good. Not a lot of big spots or anything that would make you remembers it. Maybe it's because they never kick it into high gear. I kept waiting. And waiting. And waiting. And then, all of a sudden, cat fight missed spear and then pedigree for the 3. **3/4

Kiffy Lube

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
WCW Fall Brawl 1997: Crusierweight Title Match- Eddie Guerrero v.s Chris Jericho(c).

This had some fantastic exchanges at times but wasn't nearly as crisp as I'd want it to be. The match progresses well and escalates nicely from the opening arm drag control Jericho was employing to Eddie's back work on Jericho that sustained him awhile. They started trading big moves as we kept inching closer for someone to pull it out. It went well right into the finish which was a nice, quick set up to a picture perfect Frog Splash by that Eddie character. This is what a title match is all about both guys looking like they want to accomplish winning and not just doing moves for the sake to get a pop. It's just some transitions didn't come off as fluidly as I'd like otherwise this could have a pace of a true classic.

***3/4

Kiffy Lube

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
WCW Fall Brawl 1997: Harlem Heat v.s The Steiners.

Eh, this is a pretty basic tag match and if you've watched a lot of WCW you've probably seen this particular match enough times. They always seem to be flailing around the tag title scene and just seem to get into so many matches together. This is pretty much just a rankings match since the Outsiders have a stranglehold on the actual belts. It's an average match at best for TV let alone for a Pay-Per View.

Kiffy Lube

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
WCW Fall Brawl 1997: TV Title Match- Ultimo Dragon v.s Alex Wright(c).

This match gets tons of time but I don't think it should have got as much as it did. I mean it should be a fast paced Crusierweight style match and both guys seem like they wanted to work a more deliberate pace. So we get some pretty good storytelling but it's pretty basic. Most of the match really is just Wright beating down Ultimo to eventually comeback. Well Ultimo comes back but he's never really in control of anything. He got caught on like 3 top rope moves and they just started to look stupid. Hell it was a reversal from a top rope move that led to his downfall. I heard this was much better than this but this is what I witnessed. It's not really a horrible match, it's a solid title bout but you know the talent involved is capable of more.

**3/4

Kiffy Lube

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
WCW Fall Brawl 1997: #1 Contendership for the US Title- Dean Malenko v.s Jeff Jarrett.

This had some great action, I mean everything meant something up until the leg work Jarrett started doing just so he could get to the finish which was Dean tappin' out in the Figure Four. It just went from something they were establishing into a sequence that just ended the match. Prior to all this every move and counter move led to a nice moment with some strategy and thinking behind it. I wish they had more time because they were on a pace that had going had fireworks written all over it with tons and tons of nearfalls. Too bad. I guess Wright/Ultimo was a more important match.

**1/4-**1/2

Kiffy Lube

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
WCW Fall Brawl 1997: Faces of Fear v.s Mortis & Wrath.

This was a sub-par brawl at best. I didn't enjoy it very much and seeing Mortis and Wrath do an Electric Chair Suplex out of the corner to one of the FACES and Mortis has his own partner pretty much headbutt his nuts when he hits the mat just says that was a stupid move. Knowing Mortis he probably liked it though. The finish was a little much to make Meng look strong only for Wrath to put him down. He had the death grip on Vandenberg and Mortis before Wrath does his thing.

*1/2

Kiffy Lube

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
WCW Fall Brawl 1997: Scott Norton v.s The Giant.

Eh, I'm a fan of Norton but him being fed to the Giant is all this really was. It started off like it was gonna be a real fight and Norton does get a few moves in but ultimately you know he's not a real threat. If you are gonna let two guys this size in the ring, you should let them tear each other apart.

3/4*

Kiffy Lube

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
WCW Fall Brawl 1997: Scott Hall & Randy Savage v.s Lex Luger & D.D.P.

Ugh, this didn't last long as it was just basic stuff besides Scott Hall attackin' referees for sport. Larry Zbyszko ended up deciding he was the ref after making some RUDE comments about Hall's wrestling ability. It was just like you got these 4 big stars but instead of actually letting them go, you just go ahead and set up a storyline for them for future Nitros. This isn't a way you use a PPV match.

1/4*

Crippler

Prove me wrong
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisbenoit2
WWE Summerslam 2008 - World Heavyweight Championship: CM Punk vs. John Bradshaw Layfield
This was pretty solid for two guys that have 2 completely different styles. Punk played the role of underdog face to perfection here. It started out slow but then really picked up towards the middle. They worked in some damn good spots and Punk managed to turn the crowd into his favor despite a large section of the audience cheering for JBL early on. I forgot this was the match JBL knocked the shit out of Punk and busted the back of his head open. Good 'Ol JBL always gotta show those Indy guys who’s BOSS. ***

WWE Summerslam 2008 - WWE Championship: Triple H vs. The Great Khali
HHH carried the shit out of this one, and made sure the even if the wrestling would be terrible at least this would have a good story, with him playing the overwhelmed and overpowered babyface. He also bumped like crazy in this to make Khali's offense look respectable. **

Kiffy Lube

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
WCW Fall Brawl 1997: WarGames- nWo(Buff Bagwell, Konnan, Syxx & Kevin Nash) v.s Four Horsemen(Chris Benoit, Steve McMichael, Ric Flair & Curt Henning).

I listed everyone as they came into the ring and nWo won the coin toss so you should be able to figure out the flow. I always enjoy these matches especially one like this that has some good talent involved. Sometimes you just get a bunch of big guys doing nothing because they can't really move around. This you don't get a ton of moves either but this is the kind of match where they aren't warranted. A lot of use of the cage and striking, you know what it would be like if you actually fought in that kind of environment. I guess a lot of newer fans would just complain that they aren't doing ridiculous moves that need their opponents to help accomplish. That is the exact opposite of what you do is these gang warfares. This is not one of the greatest WarGames matches though but it is a solid battle. It may have been better if this wasn't mostly about Henning turning on the Horsemen. You do get the heated ending where the Horsemen refuse to give into the now 5 on 3 fight that they have gotten themselves into. It takes Flair being put into a position where his head is going to get slammed in if his team doesn't give up for him. They do it... And Henning still slams the door. Pretty good fight but I prefer an even playing field for competition sake.

Last edited:

Crippler

Prove me wrong
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisbenoit2
WWE Summerslam 2008 - John Cena vs. Batista

It really is crazy the amount of chemistry Dave and Cena have together. And this was a great 1st time meeting sure it's not as amazing as I remembered it being in 2008 on first watch. I think I had it 4 stars. Only reason I marked it down was I didn't neither guy No selling the leg work done in the early part, and most of the match was just trading big moves. But I do still MARK for the near falls at the end, and Batista absolutely snapping at the end was a great. Oh and the counter into the powerbomb in mid-air by Batista was WOW! ***1/2

Crippler

Prove me wrong
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisbenoit2
WWE Summerslam 2008 - Hell in a Cell Match: The Undertaker vs. Edge

The match was technically great and while I enjoyed every minute of it I can't help but it feel like something was missing to make it EPIC. This match had a number of great spots from Edge shouting "I understand" before splashing Taker through a table, to four different spears Edge did the first being while Taker had his back to the steel steps and Edge speared him, 2nd the spear through the Cell wall, 3rd Spear was Edge running across 2 announce tables and speared Taker through the 3rd table. The finish was pretty much a perfect way to end it with the chokeslam a double stacked of tables, to hitting Edge with a spear then hitting him with a video camera and then so seeing Taker pull out the Con-chair-to was AWESOME! Just to finish it off with a tombstone. The only thing I really disliked was the Post Match foolishness as Undertaker chokeslams Edge off a ladder and through a gimmicked part of the ring, which breaks and then bursts into flame because Taker realized is arms. C'MON! ****1/4