Lampoons Vacation Reboot discussion

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Wangman Page

Cowboy Shit
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
hulkhogan
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
boots2asses
Writing duo John Francis Daley and Jonathan Goldstein, the men behind the critically-lauded hit Horrible Bosses, received much-welcomed news this week when it was announced they would get a chance to helm the Vacation reboot they’d penned together. With the future of an adored franchise now at their fingertips, the first-time feature directors tell EW they hope the new Vacation will both honor the original (possibly with a Chevy Chase appearance!) and still act as a worthy introduction to a new generation.

“We had always wanted to direct from the get-go, basically. When we got the opportunity to write the script, we definitely could see how we wanted the movie to play out if we had the opportunity to direct it,â€￾ Daley, who currently stars on Bones, tells EW in an exclusive chat. So how will it “play outâ€￾? For one, the story finds grown-up Rusty Griswold hitting the road with his wife and two sons as he attempts to “recaptureâ€￾ what he recalls having with his own family. The best way to do so? Head for Wally World, of course.

“Some of us have a tendency to romanticize our childhoods,â€￾ Goldstein explains. “We like the notion that Rusty has chosen to forget the less-pleasant parts we saw in the [first] movie and thinks it was just the greatest time.â€￾ In a sense, Rusty is now Clark. “We want [Rusty] to have the same fatherly impact on our audience that Clark did in the original,â€￾ Daley says. “Clark Griswold is everyone’s dad, and we want Rusty to be [the same], with his goofiness and relentless optimism and ability to embarrass.â€￾

Clark, Goldstein adds, “has an important part to play in this movie,â€￾ but they have yet to nail down Chevy Chase for the project. They remain optimistic, however, that both he and Beverly D’Angelo (who played Ellen in all the Vacation movies) will be willing to participate. And Daley says while they have actors in mind for the other roles, it’s too early to give names. (An extra bit of scoop: Clark and Ellen no longer live in Chicago, but neither Goldstein or Daley would give up their current locale.)

Vacation’s trip from from script to screen is likely to begin toward the end of this year, at the earliest — that’s when they’re hoping to start filming — but that will depend on actor availability. This is also far from the only project in the works for Daley and Goldstein. Horrible Bosses 2 is also currently on their plates and their comedy Burt Wonderstone, which stars Steve Carell and Jim Carrey, is currently filming.

“The tone of what makes people laugh has changed. We’re not trying to re-do the tone of National Lampoon’s Vacation in the early ’80s,â€￾ says Goldstein. Daley adds: “In no way do we think of this as a remake. It’s definitely an extension of the legacy that has already been created.â€￾

Sorry without Chevy as Clark this will not interest me. He was the movies.

TroyTheAverage

Love That Danhausen
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
LDuO6dG
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Sports Team
timberwolves
Favorite Sports Team
xNN1pyG
Favorite Sports Team
MK6AEv8
Re: 'Vacation' scoop: 'Horrible Bosses' duo dish on reboot

I don't know, Chevy or not this could work. They are not reinventing the wheel, just making it go. I like that they are going with a similar story but for a new generation. It would be nice to see Chevy and Beverly in it just for a cameo.

Bad News Booty

It’s Ghetto Blaster Time, Fool
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scotthall
Favorite Wrestler
kevinnash
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Favorite Wrestler
bigbossman
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo

plus they did a great job on Horrible Bosses so who knows?

Sudakis as the man character would sell me

Kellie

Reaction score
Chevy Chase Wanted For Vacation Reboot

beverly_d_angelo_29920.jpg

The word "reboot" is one that often urges movie fans to gnash their teeth, cry out about Hollywood's lack of originality, and curse the cash-grabbing bastards surely responsible for making such a thing occur. So, when word hit that New Line was looking to reboot National Lampoon's comedy classic Vacation franchise, the response was predictably negative, even though they'd signed rising comedy writers John Francis Daley and Jonathan Goldstein, who penned the cheered summer comedy Horrible Bosses, to polish the script and helm the project. Perhaps to allay the fears of those fans who have insisted that no one could dare play Clark Griswold besides Chevy Chase, Daley revealed to THR that he agrees. Moreover, he wants Chase and Beverly D'Angelo to reprise their roles as the parents who can't get a break during their holiday family getaways.

In truth, the unnamed reboot doesn't actually sound like a reboot at all as it's intended to center on Rusty Griswold, son of Clark and Ellen, all grown up and experiencing vacation-related mayhem all his own. This sounds like a smart innovation story-wise, as it will allow Daley and Goldstein to bring some new characters into the Griswold fold without ostracizing their best-loved members or fans. Of course, as five different actors have played Rusty over the course of the Griswold's adventures, the writers-turning-directors aren't bound in their casting options for their lead. However, Daley admits,

"We don't know who will be playing him, but we intend to have a part for Clark Griswold. Chevy, we're hoping he'll be down to come back -- and Beverly D'Angelo as well."

Now, I would assume that Chase and D'Angelo would have sort of glorified cameos in this Vacation, but personally I think it could be fun to see the pair as knowing grandparents smirking as Rusty fumbles to make the perfect vacation they long tried to attain. Or perhaps the years won't have mellowed the pair at all. Either way, their involvement not only speaks to Daley and Goldstein's commitment to making their Vacation a movie in the vein of the original franchise, but also their respect for those comedies. Plus it's not like they're unaware the stakes are high:

"It is something that we've been warned not to screw up. We have confidence that there's still a lot to tell in the story of the Griswolds."

I totally agree, and look forward to seeing what's in store in the second generation of family shenanigans. Hopefully Chase and D'Angelo will be game to revisit the Griswolds.

cinemablend

Wangman Page

Cowboy Shit
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
hulkhogan
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
boots2asses

Kellie we had a thread on this so I merged them.

I want Chevy as Clark not in a cameo.

Wangman Page

Cowboy Shit
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
hulkhogan
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
boots2asses

Ed Helms says he is not taking over the "Vacation" franchise in a reboot of the classic Chevy Chase series.

"I have no idea how and where those rumors got started. I'm not aware of any conversations about me doing that movie," he said while promoting his new film, "Jeff, Who Lives at Home."

Of course, he's a big fan of the original films and Chevy Chase.

"The whole reason I do what I do is because of 'Animal House,' and 'Caddyshack,' and 'Vacation' and 'Ghostbusters' and 'Fletch' and 'Trading Places," Helms told Moviefone.

Now that the idea's out there, would he want to be the new Clark Griswold?

"If it felt like the right package -- I don't know. I have a hard time wrapping my head around it. I'm not a big fan conceptually of remakes but anything's possible. Anything done well is going to be good. If it's done poorly, it's going to be bad. I would never say never, but I'm not sure what's afoot with that project."

For more on Helms's latest comedy, "Jeff, Who Lives At Home," check back to Moviefone later this week.

Ed Helms might be a decent Clark Griswald, but he wouldn't be my first choice.