King of the Ring - Should it Return?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Vegeta

The Wanted Man
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
MOLAnG4
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
homd3TG
Favorite Sports Team
gLxCq87
Favorite Sports Team
WrE8t1L
Favorite Sports Team
lurU13l
Favorite Sports Team
HHst8yg
King+of+the+Ring.jpg

King of the Ring was one of the best PPV's in the day, it was exciting, it really helped push a few people up the card into the Main Event. Sadly it went away, and the few times that it was bought back was rather lack luster. Now, my question to you is should it be bought back as PPV, and go back to what it use to be, away to build up a future star? Think of all the people who'd be a good fit to win, Dean, Seth, Roman, Cesaro , and Big E of who's on the main roster now. At some point with people coming up from NXT you have a good bit of people to consider winning it, Adrian Neville, Sami Zayn, Corey Graves, Tyler Breeze, and maybe one or two more. Now some of you may not agree with anyone I listed, and some may have a few others they'd add to this list. But would you like to see the return of The King of the Ring? I know I would, and not in the way WWE has did it the last few times, but have a King of the Ring PPV. You can have matches on Raw and Smackdown to advance to the tournament, but do the main part of it at the PPV entitled King of the Ring.

So opinions, comments all that is welcomed.​

Postman Dave

Reaction score
Not really.

Money in the Bank covers the "getting a younger talent over" category and we can have tournaments any time, as evidenced by the IC title tournament.

Vegeta

The Wanted Man
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
MOLAnG4
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
homd3TG
Favorite Sports Team
gLxCq87
Favorite Sports Team
WrE8t1L
Favorite Sports Team
lurU13l
Favorite Sports Team
HHst8yg
Not really.

Money in the Bank covers the "getting a younger talent over" category and we can have tournaments any time, as evidenced by the IC title tournament.

But with Money in the Bank it's getting kind of annoying that the cash in is always the same. With King of the Ring the after story can always go different. Plus I got feeling MITB is going to become something for the big stars. The last two Raw ones was Cena and Orton, with one title now I see it being people on that level winning it.

Sent from my N860 using Tapatalk 2

Postman Dave

Reaction score
But with Money in the Bank it's getting kind of annoying that the cash in is always the same. With King of the Ring the after story can always go different. Plus I got feeling MITB is going to become something for the big stars. The last two Raw ones was Cena and Orton, with one title now I see it being people on that level winning it.

The only reason bigger stars starting winning was because there were two briefcases. Now there's only one, it'll likely return to it's previous state.

And the KOTR was pretty predictable too. Guy wins, wears a crown for several months, adds King to the front of their name, etc.

Vegeta

The Wanted Man
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
MOLAnG4
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
homd3TG
Favorite Sports Team
gLxCq87
Favorite Sports Team
WrE8t1L
Favorite Sports Team
lurU13l
Favorite Sports Team
HHst8yg
The only reason bigger stars starting winning was because there were two briefcases. Now there's only one, it'll likely return to it's previous state.

And the KOTR was pretty predictable too. Guy wins, wears a crown for several months, adds King to the front of their name, etc.

Well at first when they had two, you had Miz and Kane win, you can say Kane was a top star, and be somewhat right, but he never had much of a title run, next two was Daniel and Del Rio, two people rising to the top. Cena getting it was stupid, Orton the next year was just as stupid. Hopefully they do go back to someone using it to get in the main event.

As far as KOTR goes, it also ended in a title match, mostly but not a cheap one, it made them see better winning in a fair match, over winning via a cash in on a weak opponent. Now you had your lack luster winners of it also, but I feel it would be great to bring back.

Reaction score
As far as KOTR goes, it also ended in a title match, mostly but not a cheap one, it made them see better winning in a fair match, over winning via a cash in on a weak opponent. Now you had your lack luster winners of it also, but I feel it would be great to bring back.

That was a prize one time and one time only (2002).

Honestly, KOTR sucked beyond belief. The buyrates were always one of the worst of the year and the matches in the tournament were generally dreadful. I'm glad the PPV died a miserable death. The MITB PPV tends to be so much better it's not even funny.

Vegeta

The Wanted Man
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
MOLAnG4
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
homd3TG
Favorite Sports Team
gLxCq87
Favorite Sports Team
WrE8t1L
Favorite Sports Team
lurU13l
Favorite Sports Team
HHst8yg

Honestly, KOTR sucked beyond belief. The buyrates were always one of the worst of the year and the matches in the tournament were generally dreadful. I'm glad the PPV died a miserable death. The MITB PPV tends to be so much better it's not even funny.

That's right, my bad. Didn't a few people end up with a title shot anyway, even if it wasn't a prize? Guess I'm about the only one who misses it, I really enjoyed it back in the day and have been watching a few of them recently on the Network to just relive them. Money in the Bank can be good, but only if they use it to push guys who haven't yet made it to the Main Event, or guys who made it but fell back down. So hopefully it does go back to that with only one case now.

Reaction score
That's right, my bad. Didn't a few people end up with a title shot anyway, even if it wasn't a prize? Guess I'm about the only one who misses it, I really enjoyed it back in the day and have been watching a few of them recently on the Network to just relive them. Money in the Bank can be good, but only if they use it to push guys who haven't yet made it to the Main Event, or guys who made it but fell back down. So hopefully it does go back to that with only one case now.

Yeah, a few of the winners (Owen Hart, Mabel and Kurt Angle) all earned title shots for Summerslam that year by other means.

Sadly, you're not the only one who wants it back. I've had this same debate with multiple people on several boards and over a many year span. :lol:

Vegeta

The Wanted Man
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
MOLAnG4
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
homd3TG
Favorite Sports Team
gLxCq87
Favorite Sports Team
WrE8t1L
Favorite Sports Team
lurU13l
Favorite Sports Team
HHst8yg
Yeah, a few of the winners (Owen Hart, Mabel and Kurt Angle) all earned title shots for Summerslam that year by other means.

Sadly, you're not the only one who wants it back. I've had this same debate with multiple people on several boards and over a many year span. :lol:

Well the only one on here that wants it back haha. With the talent WWE has now, I think they could have some better matches, and make it work honesty. Plus you have a better chance of seeing two faces you want to see in a match, actually have one, and the same for two heels.

Reaction score
Well the only one on here that wants it back haha. With the talent WWE has now, I think they could have some better matches, and make it work honesty. Plus you have a better chance of seeing two faces you want to see in a match, actually have one, and the same for two heels.

Eh, it's 2014, is it really that uncommon to find face vs face or heel vs heel matches?

And to be honest, quality of wrestlers was never the problem for why KOTR sucked. Take 2000 for example. You had Benoit, Jericho, Angle and Guerrero all in the tournament. The main problem is that the WWE pretty much sucks at booking such tournaments. The matches are typically overly short and and rarely anything special

Kross Rhodes

Israel Has the Right to Exist
Reaction score
Website
wrestlingsmarks.com
Favorite Wrestler
emma
Favorite Wrestler
YA1yyED
Favorite Wrestler
frmoJZU
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg

Actually, I'm a pretty big fan of the King of the Ring as well.

Eh, it's 2014, is it really that uncommon to find face vs face or heel vs heel matches?

And to be honest, quality of wrestlers was never the problem for why KOTR sucked. Take 2000 for example. You had Benoit, Jericho, Angle and Guerrero all in the tournament. The main problem is that the WWE pretty much sucks at booking such tournaments. The matches are typically overly short and and rarely anything special
I think the main problem with how WWE booked most of them is trying to do too many of the matches in one night. If they paced out the qualifying, first round and quarter-finals on RAW and SmackDown and only put the semi-final matches and KOTR final match on PPV, it would be a pretty cool concept again. You'd have plenty of time to have quality matches in the three tournament matches and slots for 5 other matches including title matches. All it takes is for someone to actually think about the booking.

Even something as simple as the IC Championship tournament brings a little excitement to a standard match at Extreme Rules and KOTR could potentially help build new talent.

Reaction score
I think the main problem with how WWE booked most of them is trying to do too many of the matches in one night. If they paced out the qualifying, first round and quarter-finals on RAW and SmackDown and only put the semi-final matches and KOTR final match on PPV, it would be a pretty cool concept again.

They did that in 1998, 2001 and 2002 and those PPV's still sucked. Even when Kurt Angle got to work with a couple of good talents in Christian and Edge in 2001, his KOTR tournament matches were completely forgettable. Yet, on the same night, he had a non-tournament match and he ended up producing a MOTYC. The tournament on PPV just finds ways of under performing every time.

Swamps

Space Cowboy
Reaction score
Favorite Sports Team
WrE8t1L
Favorite Sports Team
HHst8yg
Favorite Sports Team
lurU13l
Favorite Sports Team
ceaRtck

Yeah, that year it was mainly used to get Lesnar into the title picture.

I agree that most of them sucked. Especially the one in 1995 where King Mabel won against Savio Vega. I mean seriously, Vega wasn't even on the initial card and had to qualify against Bray and Bo's Papa before the show even began because someone wasn't going to be able to wrestle. However, the King of The Ring did spawn some critical moments for the WWF. Austin's famous 3:16 promo was freaking epic! The Rocket Owen Hart became The King of Harts, and the 1993 KOR gave us another Hart vs Lawler feud (wasn't it Feud of the year too?). But.... it did have *sigh* Hogan losing to Yokozuna via fireball from an exploding camera.

Now the tournament, (not the PPV) did do wonders for some wrestler's careers. Look at what it did for Booker T! He was awesome as King Booker and he ended up having a decent title reign.

Reaction score
Now the tournament, (not the PPV) did do wonders for some wrestler's careers. Look at what it did for Booker T! He was awesome as King Booker and he ended up having a decent title reign.

Or Sheamus. That losing streak until he gave up the KOTR gimmick was AWESOME!

By the way I love to hate on KOTR, I wouldn't be surprised if I insist on having some joke at the expense of the tournament to be added to my tombstone. :lol: