Kanyon suicides after watching iMPACT!

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

chessarmy

Reaction score
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Source: The Wrestling Observer Newsletter

The latest issue of Power Slam, an independent monthly non-kayfabe wrestling magazine published in the United Kingdom, features a story on the recent passing of Chris Kanyon. James Mitchell, a close friend of his, contributes heavily to the piece, giving his views on the troubled life of his departed friend. The article talks about Chris struggling to come to terms with his sexuality and how he wanted to create a positive gay wrestling persona, described as a 'normal masculine babyface who just happened to be gay'. However, no major wrestling company was willing to experiment his idea.

The conclusion of the article notes that a few of his close friends, including Mitchell, believe "the last straw" for the troubled former Wrestling star was the debut of Orlando Jordan's 'openly bisexual' character in TNA Wrestling .

Here is what was written: "Mitchell and some other of Kanyon's close friends believe the last straw for the troubled Kanyon was likely the TNA debut of Orlando Jordan's 'openly bisexual' character, which seeks to exploit the character's sexuality for cheap heel heat instead of promoting tolerance and acceptance. Those who were close to Chris are of the opinion Kanyon regarded this as a mockery of the wrestling angle he felt was his "life's work" and "destiny". He took a fatal overdose of pills shortly after the character's appearance on the Monday March 29 iMPACT!."

It should be noted that two different friends of his independently speculated that he may have watched the character's debut on the Mar. 29 episode of iMPACT! and saw Jordan playing a role that in his mind felt should have been his. They felt it set off his latest bout of depression — past the point of no return — as he stopped returning phone calls following that particular evening.

"It could have been, hell that was his idea," said Robert McLearren, one of Kanyon's closest friends outside the business. "That would make sense. The last time I talked to him was Monday afternoon. I could only imagine how he felt knowing someone else got his angle."

McLearren said his final conversation with Kanyon involved him trying to find a book on ecstasy.

"He thought that could finally be the key to helping him find stability," he said. "That's the last I heard from him. I texted him over-and-over again throughout the week, but with no response. Chris was incredibly unhappy. The unhappiness was punctuated by short periods of mania, but for the most part, he just wasn't whole after he left wrestling. He told me once that since he was a kid, that’s all he could think about, all he wanted to do. After that was gone, he just didn't feel like he had anything to live for, the only dream he had was gone. You throw in living with bipolar, and it made for a bad cocktail."
[/FONT]

I don't blame him

xtremebadass

Reaction score
Well I sort of understand. He wanted to be a gay character but the wrestling world "wouldn't accept it" but they go right through with making a bisexual gimmick and think there is nothing wrong with that. I would be pissed too. I don't know if I would kill myself over it, but like it said he had alot more issues than just that which lead to his ultimate demise.

Axis

Reaction score
He was clearly egotistical then. If he was interested in playing this character in the name of tolerance, then it shouldn't matter who played the character. He wanted to do it because he wanted to be a martyr, and make himself a legacy.

Reaction score
^^^LOL.

It's not about who played it. It's about him wanting to play a gay character as a baby face, to promote tolerance and understanding of the idea of a gay wrestler. The thing with OJ is that they've done the EXACT OPPOSITE and made him a heel BECAUSE of his sexuality. I'm sure if I had the issues he had, seeing this would shit me off all the more.

Kizza

Reaction score
Get fucked. That's ridiculous.

...god...

Reaction score
In further news, Shawn Michaels is coming to TNA.

JurassicBonez

Reaction score
^^^LOL.

It's not about who played it. It's about him wanting to play a gay character as a baby face, to promote tolerance and understanding of the idea of a gay wrestler. The thing with OJ is that they've done the EXACT OPPOSITE and made him a heel BECAUSE of his sexuality. I'm sure if I had the issues he had, seeing this would shit me off all the more.

So bottom line, the reason he off'd himself is because they used a character he wanted to do but they made him a bad guy. If that's the case (which is pretty much what you said) he's clearly egotistical. It was either I do it or nobody does.

There's been gay character for years. People do gay acts for laughs. Billy and Chuck anyone? Goldust? Guys falling into each other balls (Beer Money comes to mind as recently doing this). Legacy was being made fun of during promos for doing gay acts. But no, using homosexuality as a joke wasn't bad, it was using a guys real lifestyle as a joke. The fuck outa here.

He was clearly egotistical then. If he was interested in playing this character in the name of tolerance, then it shouldn't matter who played the character. He wanted to do it because he wanted to be a martyr, and make himself a legacy.

Sounds good to me.

Airfixx

Reaction score
"EGO"????

So ya'll don't think it reasonable of him to have taken exception to the fact that whilst TNA are happy to show homo/bi-sexuals in a negative light (as the article says "for cheap heat"), yet not in a NEUTRAL light where his homosexuality wasn't played upon but merely acknowledged part of his character.

He wanted to portray gays the way the majority of them are... i.e NOT overtly camp, bum-rapists that thrive off of the attention they get for outrageous behaviour.

The guy suffered form Bi-Polar and general depression... NEWS FLASH... These aren't rational conditions to start with, so why is it so hard to concur with the POSSIBILITY (which is all the report was doing) that this tipped him over the edge?

Reaction score
Well, that's TNA for ya. So bad you want to commit suicide. I feel like that he was at a low time in his life and this OJ thing is taking it over the edge. Way to portray homosexuals as creepy awkward people TNA.

Double J

Reaction score
SEE?!! I told everyone that OJ's character was a bad idea! Now someone is dead over this stupid gimmick, and for what?! Just to try and get some failed ratings?! When will madness end? How many lives have to be sacrificed before TNH (Total Nonstop Hogan [trademarked]) gets the idea and pulls OJ from their/his program? COME ON Hogan, think of the lives you could be saving!!

chessarmy

Reaction score
In further news, Shawn Michaels is coming to TNA.

The Wrestling Observer Newsletter is no joke, I'm not sure if you're implying that this is bullshit, but I'm sure it isn't

...god...

Reaction score
Because they were in his house at the time of his death and saw what he was watching? I'm just pointing out that this is speculation and just as possible as Shawn Michaels coming to TNA.

Colin Gimp

Reaction score
Because they were in his house at the time of his death and saw what he was watching? I'm just pointing out that this is speculation and just as possible as Shawn Michaels coming to TNA.

enough said

Jon Honcho

Reaction score
I think his problems ran deeper than that. I might buy the "last straw" stuff. It still seems weak to use that as your final excuse to off yourself.

MattHardyV1

Reaction score
I had a feeling this played a part in his suicide. Fuckin dropped my heart to read. Kanyon was the shit, I was just watching his Cage match with Page Taker and Kane last night.

Now lets not get out of hand. OJs character wasnt the SOLE reasoning for his death. I mean a mentally stable person dosent just off themself after seeing a character on TV. But I just think the years of being shit on by people drove him insane, along with probably some other mental illness. But in having that illness it meant that any little bullshit thing could set him off and drive him over the edge. Unfortunately it didnt seem like he tried to get help and it probably led to his demise. Now the cause of the mental illness will probably be blamed on too many fucking chair shots, but thats a load of horseshit imo.