Kane & Abel

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Reaction score
Welcome to Fair Fight – a Christian blog for wrestling fans. Before you raise the people’s eyebrow in confusion, yes, that is a thing. At least now it is.

This concept came to me overtime after realizing how many Biblical references have been used over the years in wrestling storylines. It is my goal to dive into these references, revealing their Biblical truths in a casual and hopefully comprehensible way. I am by no means a theologist or a Pastor. I’m just a dude who loves Jesus and loves wrestling. It’s like a Bible study… but with chair shots.

Today, we are going to dive into the story of Kane - both the Biblical and WWE versions.

I recently learned an interesting fact on the Bruce Prichard podcast that the name of "Kane" was originally planned for the debut of the Undertaker. Ted Dibiase even introduced him as "Kane the Undertaker", but it was edited out when Vince decided to stick with just "The Undertaker".

Fast forward to October 5th, 1997 at the In Your House: Bad Blood pay-per-view when Glen Jacobs made his infamous debut as Kane - ripping the door off the hell in a cell and facing off against his older brother, the Undertaker. The story line focused on the horrific past of these two brothers where, as told by Paul Bearer - Kane's father - that a youthful Undertaker burned down the home and funeral parlor of his family, murdering his parents and forever scarring his younger brother.

This story is adapted straight out of the Bible in Genesis 4, Verse 1. Adam and Eve, earth's first two people, had two sons - Cain and Abel.

Abel attended to the flocks and Cain worked the soil. Over the course of time, Cain brought some of the fruits of the soil as an offering to the Lord (offerings were what you presented to God as a sacrifice prior to the death of Jesus, but that's another blog).

Abel also brought an offering – fat portions from some of the firstborn of his flock. The Lord looked with favor on Abel and his offering, but on Cain and his offering he did not look with favor. Cain was very angry, and his face was downcast.

Let's take a second to dive into why the amount of their offerings is essential to this story. I want to begin by saying that God does not need our stuff, nor does he need our money. What He wants from us is our obedient hearts. This principle is echoed in another story about how the righteous religious leaders would be very boisterous in their giving of what they had left over. Yet, Jesus found favor in a poor woman who gave her last two pennies as a true sacrifice because that was all she had left to give. God is finding favor in Abel's very sacrificial gift, but not so much in Cain's gift out of his surplus.

So then the Lord said to Cain, “Why are you angry? Why is your face downcast? 7 If you do what is right, will you not be accepted? But if you do not do what is right, sin is crouching at your door; it desires to have you, but you must rule over it.”

8 Now Cain said to his brother Abel, “Let’s go out to the field. While they were in the field, Cain attacked his brother Abel and killed him.

9 Then the Lord said to Cain, “Where is your brother Abel?”

“I don’t know,” he replied. “Am I my brother’s keeper?”

10 The Lord said, “What have you done? Listen! Your brother’s blood cries out to me from the ground. 11 Now you are under a curse and driven from the ground, which opened its mouth to receive your brother’s blood from your hand. 12 When you work the ground, it will no longer yield its crops for you. You will be a restless wanderer on the earth.”

13 Cain said to the Lord, “My punishment is more than I can bear. 14 Today you are driving me from the land, and I will be hidden from your presence; I will be a restless wanderer on the earth, and whoever finds me will kill me.”

15 But the Lord said to him, “Not so[e]; anyone who kills Cain will suffer vengeance seven times over.” Then the Lord put a mark on Cain so that no one who found him would kill him. 16 So Cain went out from the Lord’s presence and lived in the land of Nod, east of Eden.

This holds a lot of significance when you’re talking about being out of the presence of the Lord. It is a representation of hell on earth – a separation from God, full of despair.

Now... what should we be learning about this? It would be simple to slap a bow on this and just say, "don't kill people". But there's much more to be said about murder when you fast forward to Matthew Chapter 5, verses 21-22.

This is what Jesus said about murder:

21 “You have heard that it was said to the people long ago, ‘You shall not murder, and anyone who murders will be subject to judgment.’ 22 But I tell you that anyone who is angry with a brother or sister will be subject to judgment.

Essentially, this means that even harboring evil thoughts about people is equally sinful as murdering them in God’s eyes. To most people, this command may seem like a stretch, but it is an important reminder to not don’t let anger fester in your heart. It could have devastating consequences.

. . . . . . .

Twitter & Facebook: @FairFightAudio

Instagram: fair_fight_wrestling

Email: Theron RD Steinke fairfightaudio@gmail.com

. . . . . . .

Resources for New Believers:

*Note: Some of these are affiliate links. Thank you for the support!

The Purpose Driven Life by Rick Warren

http://amzn.to/2ez9SSU
Blog Cover 2 - Kane & Abel.jpg

Save Me From Myself: How I Found God, Quit Korn, Kicked Drugs, and Lived to Tell My Story - Brian “Head” Welch

http://amzn.to/2wuZLEK