Jose Aldo turns down 155 bout in UFC against Kenny Florian

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

pumpt73

Reaction score
source: www.insidefights.com

Brazilian website TATAME is reporting that World Featherweight Champion Jose Aldo turned down the chance to make his UFC and lightweight debut in December against the highly regarded former world title challenger Kenny Florian. This would be consistent with the comments made by Dana White and Lorenzo Fertitta at last weekend’s International Fan Expo about the possibility of Aldo moving up to 155Ibs and Zuffa being open to give WEC mainstays showcase fights on UFC events. According to the website, Aldo’s management turned down the fight in favor of having him defend his title in January, possibly against Matt Hominick. Aldo is laid back about the situation saying that “They made the proposal. I wanna fight, it can be at WEC or in the UFCâ€￾.

Switchy

Reaction score
Old news, this was about at the start of the week before the UFC/WEC merge but I think this was one of the key factors of the merge as if Aldo stepped up to 155 then I don't reckon the merger would have happened personally.

I reckon if Aldo continues to dominate at 145, then the step up will be inevitable, but I have no idea how he will do up in the LW division because the 155 guys can't be looked past as easily as the 145 guys (not taking anything away from the 145lb guys, but UFC's 155 divsion has far more talent in it imo).

However, Florian/Aldo could have been an amazing fight but I can't say I'm disappointed to see it fall through now the UFC/WEC merger is due to happen.