Jon Jones vs. Alexander Gustafsson to headline UFC 165 in Toronto

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
WINNIPEG – The title fight between UFC light-heavyweight champion Jon Jones (18-1 MMA, 12-1 UFC) and Alexander Gustafsson (15-1 MMA, 7-1 UFC) will headline UFC 165 in Toronto.

UFC President Dana White today confirmed the plans at UFC 161's open workouts in Winnipeg.

Earlier today, as MMAjunkie.com (UFC blog for UFC news, UFC rumors, fighter interviews and event previews/recaps*–*MMAjunkie.com) White tweeted that the fight likely would take place in the fall, though he initially didn't get mention an event.

UFC 165 is slated for Sept. 21 at Toronto's Air Canada Centre. The main card, which will feature Jones vs. Gustafsson in the headliner, airs on pay-per-view following prelims on FX and Facebook.

Jones is ranked No. 1 and Gustafsson No. 6 in the USA TODAY Sports/MMAjunkie.com MMA light-heavyweight rankings.

After winning the title from Mauricio Rua at UFC 128, Jones has successfully defended the belt against Quinton Jackson, Lyoto Machida, Rashad Evans and Vitor Belfort before making quick work of Chael Sonnen, who was stopped with elbows and punches in the first round of their April fight. Since a disqualification loss to Matt Hamill in 2009, Jones has won nine straight fights with eight stoppages. Only Evans went the distance.

Gustafsson, meanwhile, is on a six-fight win streak since his lone career loss, which came to now-teammate Phil Davis in 2010. He claimed No. 1 contender's status with recent decision victories over Thiago Silva and ex-champ Rua. Gustafsson was slated to fight Gegard Mousasi in April's UFC on FUEL TV 9 headliner but wasn't medically cleared due to facial a cut. The Jones title fight would be the Swede's first bout of 2013.

Should be a decent fight, not sure i see Jones losing here though.

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Jones via destroyal, Gus gets tagged way too often for a guy of his size.

Slim

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
newageoutlaws
Favorite Wrestler
tara
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
What? How in the world did he get this fight? This is... man this is ... really? I guess the only thing to watch for is to see if Jones will bust out a new move.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Big step up for Gustafsson, would have given him one big contender before feeding him to Jones. I am a fan of him but I don't think he is ready for a title shot, I just can't see how he will win.

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Rather see this than any of the other lame ass contenders getting it.

Just because a guy has a similar frame and reach doesn't mean he's legit though. Jones is by far the better fighter, not even in the same class other than weight.