Johnny Nitro - New ECW Champion

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

The Ripper

Reaction score
I disagree with the belt being put on Nitro. Nut if he has put on a good match with Punk and has a proper finisher now i may change my mind.

Montana

If you like JOhnny Nitro or not, they HORRIBILY set him up to win the title. There was no pre match qualifier. No promo. Not even acknowledgement that Beniot wasnt going to wrestler BEFORE the match.

Personally i dont think they can use him right as ECW champ. Where do they go now? It seems a bit of a cluster. Personally i think Cor von, Burke or Punk would have been better choices as champ. Nitro did the same thing that Lashley did. He walked in and won the championship the next week. Meanwhile the stars and backbone of ecw watch. I thought it was BS, but at the same time i like Nitro, so he will be fun to watch.

Great One

If you like JOhnny Nitro or not, they HORRIBILY set him up to win the title. There was no pre match qualifier. No promo. Not even acknowledgement that Beniot wasnt going to wrestler BEFORE the match.

Personally i dont think they can use him right as ECW champ. Where do they go now? It seems a bit of a cluster. Personally i think Cor von, Burke or Punk would have been better choices as champ. Nitro did the same thing that Lashley did. He walked in and won the championship the next week. Meanwhile the stars and backbone of ecw watch. I thought it was BS, but at the same time i like Nitro, so he will be fun to watch.
Exactly my thoughts. Besides, they're going to keep teasing a Punk title reign for a long time, but it's not going to happen for awhile.

3lions

Reaction score
I must admit, I was shocked to find this out when reading the results this morning. Nitor is a horrible choice to be the ECW Champion. I understand that the brand is going in a new direction, where it will help kick-start the careers of the younger guys, but Nitro was not the guy to be crowned ECW Champ last night. He has been jobbing on Raw for too long to warrant such a push and has zero mic skills to help get himself over. He has only just developed a finishing move for Christ's sake.

Like other's have already stated, I would have chosen Burke/Cor Von to replace Benoit (with my personal preference being Cor Von). Afrerall, they are the one's who participated in the #1 contender matches and have been ME players on ECW for a while now. Cor Von could have easily replaced Benoit and won the title, as he is credible (only lost once since debuting in ECW and can get himself over with his mic work).

I am interested to see how WWE book Nitro's reign. If they choose to keep the belt on him for a while, then Nitro will have to up his game big time. I just hope that WWE don't book Nitro to drop the title straight away. It would seriously affect Nitro's status on te brand, affect the value of the title (Champion gets annialated straight away) and portray Punk as being weak (was beaten by Nitro last night).

Truth

Reaction score
The fact that they chose Nitro over Burke or Cor Von is pretty messed up...but then again Cor Von and Burke are slated to feud and there black...its WWE, so it wont be for the title. After those two the next logical choice would be Nitro. Now since he won it I think he should hang on to it for a month. It would be corny if he lost it this tuesday. Benoit is out, Nitro comes in out of no where and wins the belt, Benoit is back, Benoit wins the belt. Im a fan of Benoit vs. Nitro at GAB, reason why Benoit couldnt compete at Vengeance...Nitro caused the family problem. Benoit wins the strap at GAB.

3lions

Reaction score
...but then again Cor Von and Burke are slated to feud and there black...its WWE, so it wont be for the title.
Don't play the race card. Maybe WWE wanted that Punk/Benoit to be feuding with Nitro for the title, whilst Cor Von / Burke feud in the secondary feud on the brand. Why is it in life that whenever a decision is made that certain don't like, the race card is played? Pisses me off.

Anyway, it's not like black guys haven't been successful in WWE. The Rock is a multi-time WWE Champion. Lashley is a fromer two-time ECW Champion and looks set to be challenging for the WWE Title soon. King Booker is a former World Champio in WWE and is ME'ing on Raw once again. There is a potential feud between Lashley/Booker for the WWE Title, so that does't coinscide with your theory does it?

Just becuase the majority of ME stars in WWE through the years have been white, doesn't mean WWE is racost. What other company's in the US have used black stars as ME players? TNA? Killings? Erm, no. WCW? Faarooq? Please. ECW? Nope. It's just that none of them are deemed good enough.

To accuse WWE of being racist, just because they chose Nitro as ECW Champion makes zero sence and makes you look stupid.

Beer Money Army

i think it's an awful Move... why because it's way way way tooo early.... For him being champion it's oing be like 2004 when orton got the chapionship...

I dont mind nitro.. but he isn't world championship material yet... give hime 2-3 more yrs.

I did some research and his 2007 singles outing is like this

wins 3 (nunzio, eugene)
Loses 5 (jeff hardy, CM punk, super crazy, john cena,
No contests 1 (super crazy)

his tag record this year is very poor too...

Plus his raw time this year was an fade away... now he got an world championship shot... It's really poor booking to think of it... because how did Johnny Nitro earn the spot...

He didnt do an damn thing......

A way better choice would of been the likes of Tommy Dreamer or Eijah burke or Marcus con va that have had impressive year of 2007 in ecw.... not like undeserving Mr don't call me wcw monday nitro ....

This championship win will damage the championship legacy thats has been dammaged already this year.....

Nitro isn't world championship material yet... His I-C Championship run was average not the greatest but ay he even couldn't beat jeff hardy that much but he can beat cm punk... CM Punk is 1000 times better than the both of them..........

i don't mind nitro but i don't like the booking of this... vince could f chosen an better replacement to face punk instead of facing someone that had a crap 2007 raw run instead...

Reaction score
King booker is better than him by all means king booker is gonna be WWE champion

Dude get over King Booker! This is a topic on ECW and its championship not if you think Booker is better or not.
Anyway , i agree that this can be a great move to make ECW more exciting rather than having Lashley as champion , we can sit back and watch Nitro and Punk put on amazing matches.This should be great for Nitro too , as he is very talented and deserves this push.

Disraeli

Reaction score
It was a bit of a shock to read the results in the morning and I too think they are seriously bringing the ecw titles value down. Perhaps they should have considered bringing some old champion form raw or smackdown to take benoit's place much like when Angle or edge changed to smackdown, but they are short on superstars as it is. But still someone like Kane could have been nice...

Still this could be a huge boost for nitro and future of the ECW title scene if they play it right...

3lions

Reaction score
Benoit doesn't need to be replaced. I don't know what 'personal reasons' he had for not being able to wrestle at Vengence, but I'm sure he will be back soon.

Switchy

Reaction score
They shouldn't have played it like that with nitro jumping straight to the Title. WWE could've at least established him as an ME/Upper card wrestler before that. Now people are just gonna think "Hey two weeks ago that guy was on heat on now he's the ECW champion, what the hell is going on?" and not watch ECW. I dunno if this is gonna work or it isn't but On my little scale it won't at the moment, it's too sudden but they had to do it when the title was vacant and Benoit had these personal issues so I guess it was the perfect time in the ECW's case.

Reaction score
i like Nitro, he's really athletic and by far the best thing to come out of tough enough. as for him having the ECW title; that's a big mistake by the E. as previously stated he as been jobbing on raw, doing nothing since losing the IC title to hardy, except the failed shots at the tag titles. There needed to be a better set-up for him to be in the match, or deserve to be in it. I don't understand why he was Benoits replacement in the first place. The match against Punk wasn't bad, and hopefully the rest of his defenses are entertaining. I hope he puts out 110% while he's champ so no one remembers he isn't very credible.