John Cena needs to evolve

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

noumenon

Reaction score
Austin was a grown man running around in jean shorts too...
Hogan was a grown man running around in bright yellow and red shredded tank tops...
Undertaker wears a cowboy hat, trenchcoat and MMA gloves...

Your point?

Axis

Reaction score
I would hardly consider a change of shorts an "evolution." Anyway, Cena already explained that he wears jean shorts so that he can carry a cell phone with him even when he wrestles. Lame, but pragmatic.

Lady Redfield

Itchy tasty
Reaction score
Who cares how old he is when it comes to his outfit? 31 isn't that old. If he were like 60 and dressed like a wigger, yeah, I'd be shaking my head, but a 31 year old guy is still young and I don't see what the problem is with his outfit......

If anything, he just needs to GTFO but since he wont, he should go heel for a change.

newmie

Reaction score
You keep harping on that he's 31? by today's wrestling standards he is still one of the young guys in the bizz. But I do agree that he should change his attire, just for the simple fact i dont like it... but thats my opinion, it seems to work for him so he can keep going. and you say in 10 years no one will take him seriously if he keeps wearing them? two words for ya... Mick Foley... the man never wore "proper" attire, whether it was shotty cheetah skin tights with a ratty singlet, to tye die clothing, to seedy old tracksuit pants, a white button up shirt that has never been washed a ripped tie, a terrible mask, and a sock in his pants. You dont need traditional attire to be taken seriously.

...god...

Reaction score
Wait.. you're worried about HIS LOOK? This entire thread is about HIS LOOK? How about the fact that he's been cutting generally the same promo for the last 5 years.

JurassicBonez

Reaction score
Wait.. you're worried about HIS LOOK? This entire thread is about HIS LOOK? How about the fact that he's been cutting generally the same promo for the last 5 years.

LMAO!!!

Pretty much how I feel on this subject. I'm pretty sure the promo he cut on Raw was the same exact one he did when he had his last I Quit match against Orton.

Airfixx

Reaction score
I'd buy A mask that says SES on it lol.

Honestly, I don't think they would suffer THAT much, Rey wouldn't voluntarily join, he would be there with not choice in the matter, almost like a slave if you will. Besides I seriously doubt that anything could be done to effect Rey's overness with he fans tbh.

If Rey joins SES it won't be a million miles away from when JBL was pimpin' HBK last year. The fans will stay with him until he wins the rubber match for his freedom.

hbkfan

Reaction score
i agree a change for him would be good as his chareter has gotten a little stale atleast in my view but i dont see wwe changing his look as he is loved by kids and i dont think wwe wants to mess with what works.

straight_edge76

Reaction score
If Rey joins SES it won't be a million miles away from when JBL was pimpin' HBK last year. The fans will stay with him until he wins the rubber match for his freedom.

Yeah 'Fixx, I mentioned something similar to that in another thread I think, and if anything it could help build the feud more.

noumenon

Reaction score
Every major face cuts the same cookie cutter promos, it helps fans follow along/speak along and know what to expect from them..

IE Stone Cold...
You can bring your little ::insert clothing items:: to the ring but EH!EH!...that aint gon' make one bit of difference..WHAT?!...aint gonna make a difference..WHAT!?...I said aint gonna make a difference!!.... ect ect ect ect...

Rock..
::halts opponent mid sentence:: IT DOESN'T MATTER...::fill in situation::
Shining objects...inserting objects places..
ect. ect. ect.

HHH
The fact of the matter is... (SERIOUSLY, he says that A LOT)

...god...

Reaction score
Those are catchphrases though. Those guys had brilliant, epic catchphrases and gimmick lines synonymous with their characters (THINGS THAT CARRIED OUTSIDE OF WRESTLING). That's not going through the same scenario over and over again, where you just sit and preach how you never give up and how you love the WWE universe, which works against just about ANY opponent. What talent does that take? Talent was being able to apply your catchphrases and prominent character features, which the wrestler created, into your promos and towards your opponents NO MATTER WHAT THE SCENARIO/STORYLINE. Ever wonder why the ONLY thing Cena is truly synonymous with is 'YOU CAN'T SEE ME' (with the hand gesture), which he created during his fucking rap phase. His character hasn't evolved at all, not in the regard that chessarmy tried to imply, but for the reasoning I just stated. The only thing that stuck with the fans was when his character wasn't a piece of shit.

MizMasta3000

Reaction score
But...those are jusr signature catchphrases/things that Austin/Rock say to everyone.

"WE ARE GOING TO OVERCOME!" is not classified as such. Plus Austin/Rock promos are far from cookie cutter. I have come to terms with the fact that Cena is going to wear the same wigger jorts and have the same theme song until he retires. That, I can live with. However, every time he gets on the microphone; he's either about to cry, excessively serious, telling terrible jokes or holding his championship in the air about to cry about how he wouldn't have done if not for the fans.

I probably wouldn't be able to control my bladder ever again if he comes out one day and says "screw you kids". But that's just the smark in me ;)

BigD

Reaction score
Cena's character has evolved, jusy look at how he acted when he first came to WWE and how he acts now, a whole lot different. But the one thing you don't want to do with a character is stray to far.

Colin Gimp

Reaction score
If anything Cena is losing his charisma and spunk. Recently when he start's getting hot he get's injured.

If one thing is for sure is that with the contract he has and with it generally known worldwide that he is stale it's obvious they're waiting for something to pull the trigger.

That something being a new up and coming talent to figurehead Raw that overshadows Cena. With Batista's long awaited (heel or bust) heel turn being a success they have to be waiting to pull that trigger and milk this gimmick until something can be it's successor.

Montana

Reaction score
I feel like John Cena has matured over the years, and I guess that would be some form of evolving. I don't think he needs a complete make over at this point just yet. Before Cena goes heel the WWE needs someone to take over the reigns as a top face. In due time i think we will see Cena transform a bit, but no time soon.