John Cena: Going Forward

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Defiant

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
thewhyats
Favorite Wrestler
jericho
Favorite Wrestler
deanambrose
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
ajlee
This thread is about my idea for an angle for John Cena that I was kicking around in the chatbox with John McHenry. Either we simply don't agree or I wasn't painting my vision very well. So I thought I'd make this thread to add some structure to my idea because I think you guys will find it interesting.

It all started when we were discussing whether Undertaker should hang it up after he hits 20-0 (oh yeah, spoiler alert I guess). We both agreed that we would like to see Undertaker have one more match at Wrestlemania 29, as long as the opponent is right. McHenry believes the perfect choice would be Kane, the assumption being that this would be Undertaker's last match. My selection was different: John Cena.

My idea begins after Wrestlemania 28, when Taker has beaten Triple H and Cena has beaten the Rock. Through all the doubts, the trials and the obstacles, mental and physical, John Cena has not only prevailed and overcome, but he gets to tick the box he'd been waiting for since he was a kid: The Rock.

Now, there is a certain criticism you've heard before about elevating Cena to this level, being that Cena is effectively Superman at this point. A fallen God among mortal wrestlers.

The point of my angle is to answer this criticism, provide Cena with something to do going forward for the next couple of years, and perhaps add some meaning to the WWE Championship. The theme - that every man has his flaw, even Superman has his Kryptonite (if you'll forgive the level of faggotry in that sentiment).

After Cena defeats The Great One, his human ego begins to swell a little and will be reflected in his personality. Nothing character shaking, not even in heel turn territory. But after silencing the haters and beating one of the greatest of all time and stepping back into regular competition, John Cena finds himself a little more... Confident in his abilities. Its a small, but noticeable touch to Cena's personality.

Naturally, Cena finds himself in the position of what to do next. Feeling the need for a tougher challenge and a feeling that he may be on the verge of realising his full potential, he searches for a more powerful opponent. Like if Superman actually did stop all crime on Earth and set his sights on the galaxy.

As you would've predicted, that opponent will be the Undertaker at Wrestlemania 29. There are 3 reasons for why I chose this match: It gives Cena an even bigger challenge than the year before, it gives Undertaker an even bigger challenge than the year before, and it is a Wrestlemania match that honestly should've happened by now and may not get the chance to.

But here's the thing: John Cena will lose.

Cena's newfound ego has been shattered, an experience practically alien to him. This leads to an internal struggle angle with two roads he can go down: He can snap and turn heel (preferrably not, at least for my angle), or he can refocus and look at this experience as another obstacle to overcome in his life.

That's when it all dawns on him. In Cena's pursuit to achieve bigger and bigger things, he hadn't realised that in doing so he'd become no different to The Rock or The Undertaker: Guys who went on to achieve icon and legend status among wrestlers because they went beyond championships and matches. The Rock went on to movies, Undertaker exists solely for Wrestlemania. And while they may be considered icons, their presence in the ring has become irrelevant. The Rock may be back in the welcoming arms of his Millions, but it isn't quite the same, he doesn't quite belong here anymore. And the Undertaker is a basically a shell of his former self who, in his effort to place himself on another level, now exists only for one time of the year. Its the only time his presence has meaning, its the only thing he has left to cling to.

In Cena's quest to tackle the greatest of the great and solidify himself as the alpha male if this generation, he's lost sight of who is is and what he was supposed to be. It had become no longer about the business to him, titles were beneath him, he just wanted to reach another level.

He's not a wrestler. He's a superstar.

Not that that alone is a bad thing or anything, I'm not trying to say that Rock and Undertaker are these bitter, washed up losers clinging to the past or anything. But these are the things Cena was so quick to criticise The Rock for. Someone who lost sight of wrestling and championships and sought glory on higher platforms.

All of a sudden, Superman doesn't feel so invulnerable. His hypocrisy has been exposed and John Cena is just a man. Imagine Batman having his world shattered if he were to realise The Joker was right, then you might have an idea of Cena coming to realise that after all this time CM Punk may have telling the truth.

Cena realises that its not too late to avoid ending up like the movie star he resents, someone who's become too important to focus on being the WWE Champion he dreamed of being as a child. Is John Cena a superstar, a sports entertainer, or a wrestler?

Maybe he'll even take some time off at this point, or maybe he'll get back into the title hunt. But by this time, there are plenty of eager, hungry young dogs that have grown up behind Cena's back, learnt new tricks and have painted a large bullseye on Cena's back. And if Cena really does want to stay the man of today, he's going to have to overcome those hungry young dogs in Daniel Bryan, CM Punk, Sheamus, Wade Barrett, Alberto Del Rio, Dolph Ziggler, Cody Rhodes, The Miz, the list goes on.

And if John Cena really is Superman, then he knows that a hero's work is never done (I'm being really heavy with the superhero theme I know, it just kinda works).

What has been accomplished through all this?

1) Cena and Undertaker both get a "bigger" match at WM29. This is a GOOD thing because I intend to have Cena actually elevated to God tier before being harshly brought down to earth, thats the goal. For Taker, its the most relevant match he's had for years in the sense that it serves more purpose.
2) Cena's character is fleshed out more, which is usually the only time he's ever interesting. The loss to Taker is the straw that breaks the camel's back.
3) Cena draws a new meaning from the WWE Championship, it is his primary focus. This gives the title credibility, and since we're about a year in the future I'd imagine we'll have at least a couple more stars for Cena to face that have broken through (Hell there's some Cena fueds I want him in NOW). This gives Cena's character a clear motivation, something to do and fresh fueds.

--------------

Now maybe I'm too idealistic when I daydream and conjure up stuff like this, and its not perfect. But with WWE teasing us with Cena character shake ups and possible heel turns over the past couple of months, I thought I'd explore the idea and see if it can be harnessed for a positive outcome. If WWE were ever going to do something with Cena's character (which they should), I believe my idea would be the right way to go about pulling the trigger.

I wanna hear what you guys think because this was interesting to think about earlier in the chatbox and, now that I think about it, because I just spent an hour typing this. Is this the right way to go about tinkering with Cena's character, or should we at all? Is it appropriate for Cena and Undertaker to wrestle each other next year?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
I like it. It reminds me a bit of Thor at times, but I like it. Cena being over confident, taking on too much, falling from the top graces, being looked at like he is crazy, and then reclaiming his throne. I like it though even though I am not a fan of Cena/Taker at 29 over 30.

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
That was a hell of a read despite some of the cheesy super hero references lol. When Cena was in that feud with Punk there was this small aspect of him during it that I loved and hope he keeps and that was the fact that he wrestling no longer like the underdog who gets his ass kicked for half the match and rises above but like you said in this thread a guy who is on top and confident and fully embracing that everyone who faces him is the underdog now. It just makes too much sense for Cena to act like that because the whole him being the underdog thing stopped making sense years ago.

Only thing that worries me about your idea is that if they go the route of not turning him heels and having him refocus that could mean we see 05-07 Cena all over again where he can't be beat and the guys he beats do shit after. Which wasn't the end of the world when it happened in 05-07 cause they were building Cena up but now it's needed now more than ever to make guys. Now if what you had in mind was to build this refocus to the point where he ultimately makes a few guys along the way then that makes sense. I think though it makes more sense for him to act heelish either after or during The Rock match or after losing to Taker at mania 29.

Defiant

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
thewhyats
Favorite Wrestler
jericho
Favorite Wrestler
deanambrose
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
ajlee
I wrote this idea keeping in mind WWE's probable mentality in regards to Cena turning (ie -they don't want to) and the reports suggesting that WWE are interested in doing more long term booking in light of their perceived "success" of the Cena/Rock build. I had to take that into consideration when thinking whether this angle would work in practice and if it would be something they would do.

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
What about Cena not losing any match by any means for a whole year, only to lose to Taker at Mania? I think that would make for a good story. And I mean he never loses any match and ends up winning the Rumble just to challenge the streak

Andrew

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisbenoit2
Favorite Wrestler
princedevitt
Favorite Wrestler
sethrollins
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
johncena2
Favorite Wrestler
ricochet
That was the best read in a long time. I vote this for thread of the month.

I love your ideas and I believe they work perfectly. I'd love to see your idea actually happen in WWE.

Vivido

Reaction score
Smooth work Hixo

The main problem that I find, as pointed out by PHX, is what does he do in the meantime? In building towards the Undertaker at WM the ideal prep for would of being Kane, they done it. Which is a bugger. I guess they don't need to annonce this untill after Summerslam, where Cena once again beats the Rock, that gives him something to do untill the summer at least, then give him something simular to Kane again, maybe someone like Big Show or perhaps then would be the time to do this rumored Prince Albert fued.

Defiant

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
thewhyats
Favorite Wrestler
jericho
Favorite Wrestler
deanambrose
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
ajlee
I don't think they necessarily need to announce Cena/Taker a year in advance, just that they have a long-term strategy planned out. Another great thing about this match is that Undertaker is basically the guy that fucks with his opponent's minds, most recently how he was able to cut right through Triple H and manipulated him into the match. Get Taker on the mic with Cena, he'll highlight the theme of the angle and Cena's hypocrisy with ease. That's when things get fun with Cena.

As for what he does in the meantime, that was the big gaping hole in my brainstorming because I really don't know. I would've said Kane - in fact, he would've been perfect - if only they hadn't fueded already. Chris Jericho maybe, I don't think that's been done for a while. Mark Henry, Tensai (if he's heel) and maybe Dolph Ziggler might be appropriate.

Vivido

Reaction score
Him and Jericho last fueded in 05 when Bischoff fired Jericho I believe, I dunno if that would really work, I think your angle needs more of filler fued than something noteworthy, which with their history Jeiricho/Cena is, plus for the meantime at least the WWE title picture needs Jericho to keep it strong well Cena is on his path to Superstar, punk can't do that on his own. Mark Henry would work, but he just pinned him clean, which he would obviously do anyway, but since he already done that we would know already that it was happening again and even in this case we need that slight bit of doubt that Cena may lose, even if it's only a 1% chance we need it, otherwise it's going to be boring as fuck and it just wouldn't be what pro wrestling is all about. Ziggler nup, save that for after 'Taker, as you say there will be people that have caught up to him without him realising and Dolph should be the first in line judging on his obvious potential. Tensai would be the way to go, hopefully he ends up being Johnny Aces bodyguard and they fued via Johnny, that way you have the top guy over coming the GM, a huge guy and a ripped lawyer, an air of invincablity that would certianly create.

Darth Shizzel

Reaction score
No as much as people like to see Cena vs Taker I don't want to I'm too worried about him going superman because there in a bad situation Cena loses he becomes a victim of the streak and loses the superman thing (we would love it but WWE won't) Taker loses then Cena is more hated then ever and people would stop watching (me included)

Defiant

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
thewhyats
Favorite Wrestler
jericho
Favorite Wrestler
deanambrose
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
ajlee
I tried to make it clear in my post that I fully WANT Cena's head to swell a little and for the Superman comparisons to come out, because I INTEND to have him then brought back down to reality. That's the whole point: To emphasize that while he may be good and successful, he is not perfect, he not God or Superman, he is a wrestler who needs to focus on whats really important, championships and competition.

Cena getting to the same crossroad as Rock and Undertaker and deciding to stay true to himself as a competitor, not as a movie star or a gimmick. The ring is where he belongs, 24/7. Its his life.

I also don't know how Cena gets more hated by BEATING Rock and also gets more hated by LOSING to the Undertaker. I assume you're talking about the same fans in both instances, right?

Vivido

Reaction score
Pull this off right and people won't stop and people won't hate Cena. Believe it now if you wish, but trust me if this was to happen, if you have any sense of what wrestling should be, then you will enjoy the eventual outcome.

rcoot93

Reaction score
I think it's a great idea and well thought out could easily see that sort of thing happining on TV, you need to try to get a job doing this

Vivido

Reaction score
Have thought about this during the day a bit more, up untill I read this I was hoping for a Cena heel turn, and to be honest I'd still be happy to see that, and find it to be more likely(as this idea is pretty crazy and I find it very unlikely that Defiant and creative think exactly the same), but this would do so much more for the business going forward, Cena's good, damn good, but he's needed a shake up for a long time and he's nearing the point of no return if they don't add a twist along these lines fast.

John McHenry

John McHenry
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
dolphziggler2
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
brianpillman
Favorite Wrestler
shaneomac
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
This thread is about my idea for an angle for John Cena that I was kicking around in the chatbox with John McHenry. Either we simply don't agree or I wasn't painting my vision very well. So I thought I'd make this thread to add some structure to my idea because I think you guys will find it interesting.

It all started when we were discussing whether Undertaker should hang it up after he hits 20-0 (oh yeah, spoiler alert I guess). We both agreed that we would like to see Undertaker have one more match at Wrestlemania 29, as long as the opponent is right. McHenry believes the perfect choice would be Kane, the assumption being that this would be Undertaker's last match. My selection was different: John Cena.

My idea begins after Wrestlemania 28, when Taker has beaten Triple H and Cena has beaten the Rock. Through all the doubts, the trials and the obstacles, mental and physical, John Cena has not only prevailed and overcome, but he gets to tick the box he'd been waiting for since he was a kid: The Rock.

Now, there is a certain criticism you've heard before about elevating Cena to this level, being that Cena is effectively Superman at this point. A fallen God among mortal wrestlers.

The point of my angle is to answer this criticism, provide Cena with something to do going forward for the next couple of years, and perhaps add some meaning to the WWE Championship. The theme - that every man has his flaw, even Superman has his Kryptonite (if you'll forgive the level of faggotry in that sentiment).

After Cena defeats The Great One, his human ego begins to swell a little and will be reflected in his personality. Nothing character shaking, not even in heel turn territory. But after silencing the haters and beating one of the greatest of all time and stepping back into regular competition, John Cena finds himself a little more... Confident in his abilities. Its a small, but noticeable touch to Cena's personality.

Naturally, Cena finds himself in the position of what to do next. Feeling the need for a tougher challenge and a feeling that he may be on the verge of realising his full potential, he searches for a more powerful opponent. Like if Superman actually did stop all crime on Earth and set his sights on the galaxy.

As you would've predicted, that opponent will be the Undertaker at Wrestlemania 29. There are 3 reasons for why I chose this match: It gives Cena an even bigger challenge than the year before, it gives Undertaker an even bigger challenge than the year before, and it is a Wrestlemania match that honestly should've happened by now and may not get the chance to.

But here's the thing: John Cena will lose.

Cena's newfound ego has been shattered, an experience practically alien to him. This leads to an internal struggle angle with two roads he can go down: He can snap and turn heel (preferrably not, at least for my angle), or he can refocus and look at this experience as another obstacle to overcome in his life.

That's when it all dawns on him. In Cena's pursuit to achieve bigger and bigger things, he hadn't realised that in doing so he'd become no different to The Rock or The Undertaker: Guys who went on to achieve icon and legend status among wrestlers because they went beyond championships and matches. The Rock went on to movies, Undertaker exists solely for Wrestlemania. And while they may be considered icons, their presence in the ring has become irrelevant. The Rock may be back in the welcoming arms of his Millions, but it isn't quite the same, he doesn't quite belong here anymore. And the Undertaker is a basically a shell of his former self who, in his effort to place himself on another level, now exists only for one time of the year. Its the only time his presence has meaning, its the only thing he has left to cling to.

In Cena's quest to tackle the greatest of the great and solidify himself as the alpha male if this generation, he's lost sight of who is is and what he was supposed to be. It had become no longer about the business to him, titles were beneath him, he just wanted to reach another level.

He's not a wrestler. He's a superstar.

Not that that alone is a bad thing or anything, I'm not trying to say that Rock and Undertaker are these bitter, washed up losers clinging to the past or anything. But these are the things Cena was so quick to criticise The Rock for. Someone who lost sight of wrestling and championships and sought glory on higher platforms.

All of a sudden, Superman doesn't feel so invulnerable. His hypocrisy has been exposed and John Cena is just a man. Imagine Batman having his world shattered if he were to realise The Joker was right, then you might have an idea of Cena coming to realise that after all this time CM Punk may have telling the truth.

Cena realises that its not too late to avoid ending up like the movie star he resents, someone who's become too important to focus on being the WWE Champion he dreamed of being as a child. Is John Cena a superstar, a sports entertainer, or a wrestler?

Maybe he'll even take some time off at this point, or maybe he'll get back into the title hunt. But by this time, there are plenty of eager, hungry young dogs that have grown up behind Cena's back, learnt new tricks and have painted a large bullseye on Cena's back. And if Cena really does want to stay the man of today, he's going to have to overcome those hungry young dogs in Daniel Bryan, CM Punk, Sheamus, Wade Barrett, Alberto Del Rio, Dolph Ziggler, Cody Rhodes, The Miz, the list goes on.

And if John Cena really is Superman, then he knows that a hero's work is never done (I'm being really heavy with the superhero theme I know, it just kinda works).

What has been accomplished through all this?

1) Cena and Undertaker both get a "bigger" match at WM29. This is a GOOD thing because I intend to have Cena actually elevated to God tier before being harshly brought down to earth, thats the goal. For Taker, its the most relevant match he's had for years in the sense that it serves more purpose.
2) Cena's character is fleshed out more, which is usually the only time he's ever interesting. The loss to Taker is the straw that breaks the camel's back.
3) Cena draws a new meaning from the WWE Championship, it is his primary focus. This gives the title credibility, and since we're about a year in the future I'd imagine we'll have at least a couple more stars for Cena to face that have broken through (Hell there's some Cena fueds I want him in NOW). This gives Cena's character a clear motivation, something to do and fresh fueds.

--------------

Now maybe I'm too idealistic when I daydream and conjure up stuff like this, and its not perfect. But with WWE teasing us with Cena character shake ups and possible heel turns over the past couple of months, I thought I'd explore the idea and see if it can be harnessed for a positive outcome. If WWE were ever going to do something with Cena's character (which they should), I believe my idea would be the right way to go about pulling the trigger.

I wanna hear what you guys think because this was interesting to think about earlier in the chatbox and, now that I think about it, because I just spent an hour typing this. Is this the right way to go about tinkering with Cena's character, or should we at all? Is it appropriate for Cena and Undertaker to wrestle each other next year?

Seriously after our discussion the mention I get is that I think Takers final opponent should be Kane.

I do think Kane should face Taker in Taker's last match. To me it ends Takers story they've got so much tied in together.

Cena is also desperately close to being above the WWE title in my opinion. He' almost at the point now where the title isn't even important and if that continues it won't be important to other the goal will be to beat the man whose beaten everyone John Cena and I think that's a bad thing I think Cena is oversaturated.

He doesn't need to face Taker very much like him facing the Rock is a nothing match him facing Taker is the same unneeded match Cena doesn't need Taker and Taker shouldn't be putting over Cena.

I'll post my more effective rebuttal tomorrow it's almost 4 am my time.

Last edited: