Jim Ross discusses AEWs needs for the future

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
Ross appeared on Busted Open Radio on Wednesday and was asked to give a letter grade to the company he’s worked for since it launched five years ago.

“Probably a solid B,” Ross responded. “A lot of things that can be improved upon, like anybody else’s company. AEW’s challenge right now, to me, is creating new stars. Somebody on that brand has got to get hot. That’s got to be, I think, what they need now. Somebody’s gotta get hot.”
However, Ross says he believes AEW’s talent will step up at Double or Nothing this weekend in Las Vegas. Ross said that’s what always happens on AEW pay-per-views.

“These pay-per-views like we’re having Sunday night in Vegas, these kids rise to the occasion on these pay-per-views, they really do,” he said.

Ross was asked by co-host Bully Ray if it’s more on creative or the talent to get someone in the company hot. He responded that it’s more on the wrestlers.

“I think the latter,” Ross responded.
“Creative can get you in the ring but once you get in the ring, it’s up to the talent at that point, in my estimation. I think it’s a talent-based thing, Bully, I really do,” he continued.
Ross is currently promoting his new book, “Business Is About To Pick Up: 50 Years of Wrestling, 50 Unforgettable Calls,” which was released on May 7, 2024.

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
I think this is fairly reasonable but I'm baffled that he'd say it's more on the talent than creative to make the stars. The talent is given such little TV time a week and even if they make the absolute best of it, it's pretty pointless without follow up. I don't think I've seen any criticism on talent not maximizing minutes in AEW, I've only seen it about Tony not using them enough or properly.

But JR is always praising Tony so I'm not too surprised I guess, I just have a hard time believing he actually thinks this and isn't just attempting not to criticize his boss while trying to be a fair critic lol

Reactions: Hoss

Cwalker

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
randyorton
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
codyrhodes
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Favorite Wrestler
jaylethal
Favorite Sports Team
BZw58qk
5 years in, I would have to agree that a B is about right.

And I also agree with him about creating new stars. Out of all the top guys currently on the roster, it feels like MJF is the only one that wasn’t a major player in WWE/Japan or Ring of Honor.

Now I will disagree with him when he says once creative gets you in the ring, it’s on you. It’s 50/50. Wardlow when he was at his hottest went from squashing MJF to feuding with Mark Sterling. That’s creative not knowing how to capitalize on a guys momentum. And he was cooled quickly. Talent does bear responsibility but so does creative.

djsunyc

Reaction score
i watched the aew ppv last night. it was good but there's a few things that i noticed that i didn't really like.

1. i don't like mjf trying to bury things like new japan and guys that wear masks. i also found it funny that he came back wearing hhh's return outfit back in the day but still goes on to say he doesn't need someone else to make him.

2. i noticed that the last 6 matches involved guys that got over in wwe first. danielson, cage, mone, copeland, moxley, jericho. it's been 5 years since aew debuted but alot of their matches still are based on ex-wwe stars - meaning they haven't created enough new stars to run ppv's yet. also mjf mentioning vince and then bringing back gangrel - and calling back a wwe angle is stuff that i thought aew would be past 5 years later.

Hoss

HELL IS NOT A MYTH
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
i watched the aew ppv last night. it was good but there's a few things that i noticed that i didn't really like.

1. i don't like mjf trying to bury things like new japan and guys that wear masks. i also found it funny that he came back wearing hhh's return outfit back in the day but still goes on to say he doesn't need someone else to make him.

2. i noticed that the last 6 matches involved guys that got over in wwe first. danielson, cage, mone, copeland, moxley, jericho. it's been 5 years since aew debuted but alot of their matches still are based on ex-wwe stars - meaning they haven't created enough new stars to run ppv's yet. also mjf mentioning vince and then bringing back gangrel - and calling back a wwe angle is stuff that i thought aew would be past 5 years later.
To your first point, I think you're reaching if you think MJF doing an homage to a guy he's venerated a lot throughout the years equates to someone else making him. MJF became a star by being MJF. And part of that bit is doing homages and referencing smarky stuff, and that's not for everyone, but that's still MJF making MJF.

To your second point, I will again say that tastes differ, but I think something that a lot of AEW fans appreciate are callbacks and references to wrestling history. Whether it be something from WWE, TNA, WCW, ECW fucking Mid-South Wrestling or whatever the case may be... AEW likes to throw in those bits of nostalgia. I don't think there will ever be a time in AEW history, no matter how much of their own lore they create, when they don't do nods to wrestling's past. To each their own in regards to whether you think it's a good thing or not.

Reactions: djsunyc

Bad News Booty

It’s Ghetto Blaster Time, Fool
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scotthall
Favorite Wrestler
kevinnash
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Favorite Wrestler
bigbossman
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
To your first point, I think you're reaching if you think MJF doing an homage to a guy he's venerated a lot throughout the years equates to someone else making him. MJF became a star by being MJF. And part of that bit is doing homages and referencing smarky stuff, and that's not for everyone, but that's still MJF making MJF.

To your second point, I will again say that tastes differ, but I think something that a lot of AEW fans appreciate are callbacks and references to wrestling history. Whether it be something from WWE, TNA, WCW, ECW fucking Mid-South Wrestling or whatever the case may be... AEW likes to throw in those bits of nostalgia. I don't think there will ever be a time in AEW history, no matter how much of their own lore they create, when they don't do nods to wrestling's past. To each their own in regards to whether you think it's a good thing or not.

I doubt he’ll accept your reasonings looking at his posting history

djsunyc

Reaction score
I doubt he’ll accept your reasonings looking at his posting history

i did, it was a decent response without nonsense.

i'm a casual aew viewer so i want them to succeed b/c that's what's best for the business.

Death By Looch

Peace, Love & Fuck You
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
arnanderson
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
vader2
Favorite Wrestler
yujinagata
Favorite Wrestler
bethphoenix
2. i noticed that the last 6 matches involved guys that got over in wwe first. danielson, cage, mone, copeland, moxley, jericho. it's been 5 years since aew debuted but alot of their matches still are based on ex-wwe stars - meaning they haven't created enough new stars to run ppv's yet.
First of all, four out of those six you've mentioned there (Danielson, Cage, Moné and Moxley) were either horribly misused by the WWE or were never supposed to get over in Vince's/Creative's eyes. So I'd argue that neither of them got over because of the WWE, but rather despite the roadblocks they had to deal with in the WWE. While Christian got really over during his TNA run, the other three are on the level they are right now because of what they'd done after they left the WWE.

Second, "involved" is the key word you used there. Those matches weren't "based on ex-WWE Stars", they involved ex-WWE "Stars". They also involved a good amount of talent which made their names during these last years in AEW. I'd even argue that out of the 16 Wrestlers involved in those last six matches, half of them did get to the point they are right now just because of their time in AEW. (Black, FTR, Darby, Perry, Willow, Takeshita, Swerve) ...and if you look at the whole card, the balance even shifts more towards that side.

---

The whole argument of "AEW needs to make stars" is pretty tiresome... what does it even mean, honestly? Do they need to have Wrestlers, who also get movie roles? Or go onto big non-Wrestling TV shows? Do they need talent, which transcends into the mainstream media? I mean just look at the roster and tell me they aren't in a good spot for at least the next 5 years.
I'd rather have them bring in talent, that either wasn't used to their full potential or that is on a good path to become something bigger and give those talents the stage to continue their path, Instead of watching them fumble one easy opportunity after another to "make a star", like the WWE did an absolute staggering amount of times over a very long ass period.

Last edited:
Reactions: Canadian Dragon

Canadian Dragon

The Ace of WS
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
9Cf16sP
Favorite Wrestler
v9xmgrN
Favorite Wrestler
f0aLDLP
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
It's a bullshit argument in the first place imo they've made plenty of stars by themselves. Current world champ included. It's funny how when wwe grab indie stars suddenly they "made" them. Like punk, Danielson, mox , cole, Rollins weren't huge stars in the indies. Wwe also had no faith in swerve n passed on mjf . Fucking laughable take from marks n Jr.

Last edited:

Canadian Dragon

The Ace of WS
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
9Cf16sP
Favorite Wrestler
v9xmgrN
Favorite Wrestler
f0aLDLP
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Hell, aew made Jade a star lol, but ig that doesn't count? Mjf , swerve are aew made stars unless ur a bad faithed wwe nut hugger tbh

Canadian Dragon

The Ace of WS
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
9Cf16sP
Favorite Wrestler
v9xmgrN
Favorite Wrestler
f0aLDLP
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Jayme hayter n Britt baker apparently also don't exist n Toni Storm was clearly made a star in WWE too right? Fucking lol

Bad News Booty

It’s Ghetto Blaster Time, Fool
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scotthall
Favorite Wrestler
kevinnash
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Favorite Wrestler
bigbossman
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Stupidest shit ever AEW had only been around 5 fucking years. Of course a lot of the top guys are from WWE. And in the short time they’ve been around they’ve started to create some big names. Wrestlers have long careers so in 10 years I’m sure the wrestling pool will be pretty split on who came from where. It’s the lowest IQ argument you can have at this point.

Last edited:
Reactions: Canadian Dragon