JBL's Return

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

CT Styles

Has JBL's return to wrestling been worth it? In my opinion, I say no. I think he's overrated and fat and really think we would've been better off if he hadn't returned and stuck to commentary. I find him boring and think he's a waste of space in the Main Event. Your thoughts?

Moonlight Drive

I think it was awful until he started the program with Michaels, which has been pure gold.

I think JBL would be absolutely perfect for GM role. He is great on the mic, and it also allows him to wrestle occasionally to put over some young talent.

CT Styles

Yes, but this is most likely leading up to a Shawn Michaels/JBL match, which people wanted.. years ago. It's too late; Michaels will pull him through the match but I still don't think it's been worth it.

Moonlight Drive

I didn't think anybody has ever wanted to see that match, and I do believ it already happened. Didn't they face off in a Lumberjack match during the Raw vs SD feud in 05?

Regardless, I think they should've done it earlier as well if this was always their intention to have JBL face HBK, seems that they only went with this particular angle though because of The Wrestler.

Nancy Di Loreto

Reaction score
JBL's return up until this saga with HBK was dreadful. He really was a waste of space on RAW, in the entire WWE in fact, and should've stayed at the commentator's desk.

But this storyline with HBK so far has been gold. I could see this go on on for the rest of both men's careers, and be happy with it... :shifty:

A blow-off at WM 25 would be good, but I'd much rather see 'Taker vs. HBK

★Chuck Zombie★

Reaction score
I didn't think anybody has ever wanted to see that match, and I do believ it already happened. Didn't they face off in a Lumberjack match during the Raw vs SD feud in 05?

It was a Wrestlemania reversal, right before Wrestlemania 23. HBK had to face JBL (which didn't even happen) and Cena had to face Benoit.

They were, however, team captains in the RAW vs. Smackdown! feud, but they never had a one on one match.

JurassicBonez

Reaction score
No, he should have stayed retired. I don't think he's really done anything helpful since he returned. Just a filler here and there. He should have stayed commentating, he wasn't bad at that. Or a GM or someone's manager, but not wrestle. I thought it would have been good for him to work with Cade and be his manager, that would have been a perfect team up. And him re-igniting his feud with Cena ruined what it was before. They way it ended on Smackdown was perfect. It helped elevated Cena to be a true main eventer, got him his 1st WWE title reign, and the matches they had were epic. Especially the I Quit match. It should have ended there. The storyline he's in now is the only good one he's had since coming back. I didn't like it 1st cause it didn't make since, and I still don't think it's the best, but it's decent. And it's pretty obvious how it's going to end, HBK gets fed up, super kicks JBL, they have their matches, the end.

phantomgerald

I agree. I thought he was good as a commentator. Should have kept them there.

The Rated R CMStar

They were, however, team captains in the RAW vs. Smackdown! feud, but they never had a one on one match

No, in fact HBK vs JBL did happen at Raw, it was a Lumberjack match in England the week before SS 05.

Anyways, JBL has been just that, a filler, but a filler that has made a decent work. WWE has also found a savior in him. They needed a feud to keep Cena away from the title scene? Enter JBL. They needed a credible challenger for CM Punk to go over? Enter JBL.

His actions have certainly picked up with his feud with HBK.

Switchy

Reaction score
JBL is perfect for any role out of the ring now at this stage if you ask me because his mic work is fine but he is past his prime when it comes to in-ring work imo. He is a decent wrestler but isn't the wrestler he once was and I'd say that his return wasn't worthwhile but I think if he was to step out of the ring once again he could pull off a role as Commentator, GM or even a manager.

With those roles (as we already know from his commentating role) he could bring out the best in his mic work and not have to do any in ring work and his character suits all three roles amazingly, especially the GM one. I think JBL would also be the perfect manager for Ted Jr if given the oppurtunity and as for commentary we all know just how awesome he is.

noumenon

I don't see anything wrong with his return. It's not like since being back they've been handing him World Titles. When he was on Smackdown he did solidify himself as a decent main eventer for a while. Since coming to RAW he's put over CM Punk...who really needed someone to do so in his title program...it was obvious Batista wouldn't. He's pretty much stayed around the upper mid card, running decent feuds and getting decent heat. He fills in the main event spot when needed. Although he may not be the best wrestler on the roster his mic skills more than get the job done.
And no one can argue how over his program with HBK is right now. Him returning to the ring is no more of a mistake than guys like Kane still wrestling.... and I vastly prefer JBL to Kane.
But when he does decide his wrestling career is over again I would love to see him back on commentary, he was quite good at it.

MikeRaw

No, it's worth it.
He's had a great storyline with Shawn Michaels, proving he still can carry a storlyine.
Before that, his return was kinda bad, but that's not his fault. The writers didn't give him anything of substance.
But he did have a good feud with Jericho.

So, in the span of a year, he's had a great feud with Jericho, and a solid one with HBK. That sounds good to me. His ring work sucks, but that's why his matches aren't usually the top one on the card. He's been solid IMO.

The Rated R CMStar

I personally like his matches. He goes out there and brawls, a plain out brawl, and he's good at doing that

The Rated R CMStar

WWE gave away too many big matches in the build up of that feud. They also did Orton vs Batista