January 4 is a special day, at least for me....

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

pumpt73

Reaction score
I hold this day closer to my heart than my own birthday. It was 2 years ago today that I got sober after 7 years of opiate abuse. I've come a long way, but I've got a lot further to go and know that I could lapse at any time. I don't want to as I have too much good in my life. It started out innocently enough when my left shoulder started hurting. I would take my vicodin as prescribed, but would only get a script every 3 or 4 months as I could live with it and plus I was in a very hardcore bodybuilding mode at the time. Then I was introduced to Nubain. An injectable pain killer, and before too long I learned how to "rig" it. For those who don't know that means to inject it intravenously. I moved off and on from it as it's rather expensive. I then had my surgery in 2007 to correct my shoulder and then it exploded. A script of 30 loracet would last me 3 days. Then 2 days. Pretty soon 30 pills would be gone in under 18 hours. My last script that I got, I swallowed 9 lories and it barely phased me. A week later, I found Suboxone and haven't looked back.

Guys I really take this seriously. If anyone ever thinks they have an issue with something like this, don't hesitate to PM me. I've only been around 32 years (I know Im a dinosaur to some members here...LOL), but I've definitely been through my share of crap. I didn't post this to brag or boast, but rather if anyone ever needs help or someone to talk to, don't hesitate.

Quintastic One

Reaction score
I can't say I have any sort of substance abuse problems. I'm pretty straight edge beyond the occasional moment of social drinking. But I can say that I am very happy for you, and if I have any justification to be proud of you, then I am also proud of your accomplishment. Keep it up, never go back and don't even give it a passing thought.

Italian Outsider

Reaction score
How's Vicodin?
Just because it's House's favourite drug, always wanted to ask someone who tried it.

pumpt73

Reaction score
Thanks TQO. I know what you mean bro. Every now and then I'll have a Johnnie Walker Black about 30 minutes before bed, but that's it.

Well it all depends TIO on what you are curious about it for. Vic's are a pretty potent opiate and it's the one most start on. Loracet is just higher strength (10mg) Vicodin and Norco is the same as Loracet just with less APAP (Tylenol) If you take it as prescribed it will do what it's supposed to, and numb pain. It wears off after a bit and that's where abuse can start. Look, I won't BS anyone, I LOVED the feeling I got from them, but it's killing yourself slowly, not to mention your relationships and bank accounts. Most Vicodin comes with 5 or 7.5mg of the opiate itself attatched with 625mgs of Tylenol. That's a lot of Tylenol and that stuff is rough on the liver. So imagine putting 10 times what you're prescribed through it.

It becomes something that's very hard to get off of. The withdrawal symptoms I wouldn't wish upon anyone. Bad muscle cramps, the runs, sometimes vomiting, sweating, cold sweats, anxiety (this is usually how opiate users start their paths on Xanax). Everything aches. Let me put my addiction into perspective. I would get a script of 30 Loracet (10mg Vicodin) which was good for 10 days. I would run through them in about a day. Go to another doctor get another script and just pay out of pocket. You'd be surprised at how cheap they are. When those would run out in about a day, then the phone calls kick in and now you're paying $2-4 a tablet. So take into consideration 2 doctor visits every 10 days at $25 each. That's roughly $75 a month. Then roughly $10-$30 for the scripts. That's $30-$90 a month. When that's done, here comes the calls and driving to get them at all hours of the day and spending $100-$200 on the same amount of tablets that you just paid $10-$30 for. $300-$500 a month. You can now see you have a Corvette or Escalade payment going towards your pill addiction. Insanity at it's very finest.

Now Im not saying every person who uses these is like this, but most abusers are. I never ground them up and snorted or shot them, but it still doesn't justify what I was doing. I just thank God that I never let myself get to the OxyContin. I have a longtime and now long lost friend who buys these things and shoots them.

Remember though TIO, if taken properly and if needed, they're helpful. My wife suffers from Fibromyalgia and she takes Norco (the 10mg Vicodin with less Tyenol). Her neurologist scripts her 90 a month and it takes her almost 3 months to use 1 presription. She hates taking them, and will only take them when she really needs them. It can start out very innocently and before you know it, it's controlling your life.

Italian Outsider

Reaction score
Oh don't worry, I don't need anything nor plan to try them.
It was more a personal curiosity.

Side note: I didn't know you had a wife. Nice.

Reaction score
Good to hear bro, it's always good to know when someone doing good. You're a good dude, it sucks knowing you got to put up with some bullshit. Glad to know you're staying on the right track though bro, keep it up!

monkeystyle

Reaction score
Oh don't worry, I don't need anything nor plan to try them.
It was more a personal curiosity.

I'd consider giving vicodin a spin, but I'd rather just try smoking plain old opium. Never actually tried any opiates at any point though, I don't think.

Anyway, good job Pumpt. I know how hard it is to give up life's little pleasures.

...god...

Reaction score
Kurt Angle was taking 65 pills a day. :(

Italian Outsider

Reaction score
I'd consider giving vicodin a spin, but I'd rather just try smoking plain old opium. Never actually tried any opiates at any point though, I don't think.

Anyway, good job Pumpt. I know how hard it is to give up life's little pleasures.

How's the old good destroyer of empires (opium) instead?

J...

Reaction score
Congrats on reaching 2 years dude!! Cutting addictions is hard as hell but doing it only makes you stronger.

And Vicodine is nothing special all it does is make you numb and give your head a free feeling.

pumpt73

Reaction score
Kurt Angle was taking 65 pills a day. :(

Doesn't surprise me a bit about Angle. Reason being, is he's done quite a bit more Im willing to bet. Allow me to explain. I've told all that I used to be into bodybuilding pretty hardcore. There is no question it is an underground subculture. Now, my trainer that I hooked up with in 2002 was out of Clinton, PA, a little suburb of Pittsburgh. Angle is from Wexford, also a suburb of Pittsburgh. In 2000, my trainer competed in the NPC Mr. Pittsburgh which is a pretty big regional amateur bodybuilding show. He won his weight class at Heavyweight. When he went to the overall, he lost to the Superheavyweight Champion, and guess who that was???? None other than ERIC ANGLE, Kurt's brother. Fellas, let me assure you that nobody on that stage was natural. My trainer went on to win the overall in 2001 and train the Overall Champ in 2002. I actually met Kurt in 2002 when my trainer took me into Amerifit in the Greentree section of Pittsburgh. He takes me into this little freeweight area where 2 bald guys are shrugging massive weight. My trainer introduces me and I can't even talk. This is a guy that I had respect for from my wrestling days and now he's in front of me.

Trust me guys, Pittsburgh has it's share of bodybuilding drug issues and pain meds usually accompany steroid usage, so Kurt's story doesn't surprise me, though I know his neck was seriously fugged up.

...god...

Reaction score
Yeah, he said he had to take 20 pills to even get up in the morning. Pretty sad.