James Toney/Randy Coture talk

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Reaction score
Yeh just watched this video...

[yt]Bm-H8lcbqcw[/yt]

Good to see there wasnt any real future title implications for Randy over this fight, and that Toney is done with UFC. Also good to see Dana was impressed and likes Frankie.

Reaction score
The thing about Toney is that he was just plain too old to come into MMA at over 4o years old. But now the MMA fanboys have a feather in their cap over the boxing fanboys. If Coture came into the boxing world, the shoe would be on the other foot. It was a lose-lose situation for all involved sans the fans.

Reaction score
^^^See I was thinking that, but don't forget Couture still has 5 years on Toney. And MMA is a much more demanding sport than boxing, I'd say - having to work on so many different aspects.

I understand though that if Couture went into boxing, it'd be totally different. The thing is, he hasn't gone into it. He hasn't chased around boxing promotions, 'calling them names' etc. He hasn't gotten a fight and treated everyone else like a worthless sack of shit.

If he ever does that, then sure - I'll pay to see him get KO'ed in boxing. Til then, I'm glad this whole Toney thing went down the way it did, and that it's over now.

Reaction score
Deciding which is more demanding is in the eyes of the beholder. It's proven boxers take far worse damage than MMA fighters and an average MMA goes the max of 15 minutes while boxing can go between 30-36 minutes, regardless of title or non-title fights.

Reaction score
Very true. I never really knew how long boxing fights go for, lol. Last one I saw was Green/Briggs which lasted like 40seconds, lol, was a blow-out. Also, I was mentioning more to the training aspect, but you're right in boxers taking more damage, especially to the head.

Colin Gimp

Reaction score
your a fucking idiot knicky, how dare you even quote me

this was billed mma vs boxing with 40 year olds. obviously all they can sell is the fundamentals n the respect the oldmen have for their sport and fighting. and we didn't see any of that, only a blunt tool can say coture was smart. again he agreed to this fight with the hype attached to it, and he disrespected both sports and each others legacy by not attempting to bring down the house. coture is 47 and has 2-3 fights left and that's if the pussy avoids a war, he could of done a lot of meaningful things and instead he stayed fresh improved his shitty record and is ready for his next pay day, i guess he didn't get the memo about proudly representing mma when he was afraid to take a punch, which is something boxers ridicule mma guys about

make a statement (with his fists hefought a boxer, what's wrong with making him tap to gnp? sry but the gracies already established 20 years ago wetf coture didoveranalyzing this but i'm blaming dana more then coture

Reaction score
Perhaps the statement Couture was trying to make is that a typical MMA fighter can destroy a boxer within seconds if they are fighting in an official MMA match.

Colin Gimp

Reaction score
r u srs

google kj noons then dont reply to me again this was should be retired mma champion vs a should be retired boxing champion

wrong point to make while it's painfully obvious and not even realistic. mayweather is shoot wrestling as i type this was suppose to mean more hence the ridiculous hype, only a douchebag would use that out and claim he's making apoint. go to bj penn's website and see what he said

Reaction score
Oh silly me, and here I thought this was a forum that everybody could come share their opinions on about interesting subjects.

I was merely trying to make a conjecture as to what Couture's motivations may have been for trying to end the fight as soon as possible. Perhaps he wanted to show that he could dominate a boxer as quickly and effectively as possible, without question. I don't know, I'm not a mind-reader. I wasn't trying to say that was my opinion about the probability of boxers being successful in an MMA match.

Reaction score
If that was directed at me, Colin, then I have absolutely no idea what you said.

All in all, if I were Randy Couture in that situation, I would care more about winning and collecting my paycheck than I would care about what a bunch of uncouth individuals on the internet think about me. That's all I'm really trying to express here.

pumpt73

Reaction score
your a fucking idiot knicky, how dare you even quote me

this was billed mma vs boxing with 40 year olds. obviously all they can sell is the fundamentals n the respect the oldmen have for their sport and fighting. and we didn't see any of that, only a blunt tool can say coture was smart. again he agreed to this fight with the hype attached to it, and he disrespected both sports and each others legacy by not attempting to bring down the house. coture is 47 and has 2-3 fights left and that's if the pussy avoids a war, he could of done a lot of meaningful things and instead he stayed fresh improved his shitty record and is ready for his next pay day, i guess he didn't get the memo about proudly representing mma when he was afraid to take a punch, which is something boxers ridicule mma guys about

make a statement (with his fists hefought a boxer, what's wrong with making him tap to gnp? sry but the gracies already established 20 years ago wetf coture didoveranalyzing this but i'm blaming dana more then coture

I have nothing but the utmost respect for you Colin, but again, why the hell would you try to box a guy who has won 6 boxing world championships when your base discipline is wrestling???? This makes absolutely no damn sense. You're sitting their completely bashing Couture. Why would you not bash Toney???

Shouldn't Toney have been better prepared for a World Class wrestler that has submission and GnP skills??? This isn't Boxing, this MMA. This wasn't a sanctioned boxing match. I don't give a damn how it was billed. It was a sanctioned MMA fight. And if one guy can't come in prepared for what the other guy is fully ALLOWED to throw at him at any time, then Toney's sorry ass had no business being in an MMA cage/ring. Dana only gave him the fight because Toney wouldn't shut his damn mouth about how MMA was so inferior to Boxing. Well humble pie don't taste too damn good does Toney??? Go back to Boxing.

straight_edge76

Reaction score
I have to say, that fight was a major LOL point on a otherwise not too bad, but not too good UFC card. I wanted Coture to win, and honestly I would have laughed if he KO'd Toney. The takedown he used was an takedown you are taught at a very young age as a wrestler (I have wrestled since I was 6 so I know) honestly, I feel the main reason Toney signed on for this was because he knew this is likely the last big pay day he will be getting in the sports world. The payday he got for this is likely very much larger than anything he could have gotten in a boxing match. And I feel Dana wanted to shut him up, Toney has been talking smack for years and he just wanted to shut him up.

I feel the MMA/Boxing debate is never ending, because there is no way to really have a clear cut winner, if it would have been a boxing match I am sure Toney would have knocked Coture out within 2 minutes, which ever fighter was going to have the advantage (the sanctions), and I believe Randy said it best in the post fight interview, most MMA guys are boxing fans, and it wouldn't shock me if most Boxers are MMA fans.

pumpt73

Reaction score
I have to say, that fight was a major LOL point on a otherwise not too bad, but not too good UFC card. I wanted Coture to win, and honestly I would have laughed if he KO'd Toney. The takedown he used was an takedown you are taught at a very young age as a wrestler (I have wrestled since I was 6 so I know) honestly, I feel the main reason Toney signed on for this was because he knew this is likely the last big pay day he will be getting in the sports world. The payday he got for this is likely very much larger than anything he could have gotten in a boxing match. And I feel Dana wanted to shut him up, Toney has been talking smack for years and he just wanted to shut him up.

I feel the MMA/Boxing debate is never ending, because there is no way to really have a clear cut winner, if it would have been a boxing match I am sure Toney would have knocked Coture out within 2 minutes, which ever fighter was going to have the advantage (the sanctions), and I believe Randy said it best in the post fight interview, most MMA guys are boxing fans, and it wouldn't shock me if most Boxers are MMA fans.

Great post Straight Edge. This really wasn't a bad card. The thing is you had so many fighters that were so well matched with one another. Maynard vs. Florian, Penn vs. Edgar, etc. The more the sport grows, the more you'll see this. With Toney, I wouldn't be a bit surprised if he had KO'd Randy, but I didn't think it would happen either. Randy did exactly what I thought he would do. Close the distance and use that World Class wrestling to decimate Toney. What's sad is Toney made the most of anyone on the card. Before license fees, medical fees, etc, he made $500,000. Randy made half that.

The Boxing/MMA debate will always rage on. But what fans forget is it's really 2 different ballgames. Boxing is pure standup fighting with on average, longer fighting duration (when you get to your 12 round fights). I still love Boxing. With MMA however, it gave me a chance to see the sport that I put 10 years of my life into, get put onto a stage where it can become more respected. I've gravitated to MMA because it's, at least to me, the purest form of 1 on 1 combat in sacntioned sports. If there's a combat sport out there, I'll watch it. Boxing's biggest problem right now, is lack of a superstar and marketable Heavyweight champion. I love Klitschko, but he rarely fights in the US, and the US heavyweights, well frankly, aren't that good. The only one I really like is Arreola. MMA will continue to dominate in the coming years over Boxing, but one day it will level off. Im not saying it will go anywhere, but the popularity will wane a bit.

straight_edge76

Reaction score
I also love boxing as well, I grew up watching it, as well as many of the early UFC cards as a youngster with my dad and his friends, both sports have their pros and cons. I honestly have a slight bias towards MMA just because of the different aspects of it, and the amount of similarites to wrestling in both training as well as skills necessary, I feel that it's no fluke that many of the top MMA fighters in the world are world class wrestlers also. The main knock on boxing like you said is the lack of big names, not just in the heavyweight division, but in boxing overall, I can almost guarantee if you named the top 10 boxers in the world (pound for pound) next to the MMA top 10, the MMA top 10 would be much more recognizable to the casual Boxing/MMA fan, and unless that changes sometime in the near future I could see Boxing end up falling into the underground type of atmosphere that MMA once had