Is Sami Zayn an effective heel?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Sami Zayn as a heel?

• yep

• nope

Results are only viewable after voting.

Crash

Reaction score
I have a feeling that he comes off as a lame heel because; first of all his gimmick has always been the happy dancing guy with ska music, second of all he should change his gear to something different and finally the storyline he is in with Kevin Owens, they are booked as heels but both come off as faces to the evil Shane who is trying to get them fired because of his ego, who is supposed to be the face after all. So what do you think? Is he a good heel or not? I think he definitely can be a good heel, he has more than the talent needed to make it work. But this recent heel run hasn't been very good so far IMO.

Reactions: Nikki Nitro

JBan

Reaction score
I have a feeling that he comes off as a lame heel because; first of all his gimmick has always been the happy dancing guy with ska music, second of all he should change his gear to something different and finally the storyline he is in with Kevin Owens, they are booked as heels but both come off as faces to the evil Shane who is trying to get them fired because of his ego, who is supposed to be the face after all. So what do you think? Is he a good heel or not? I think he definitely can be a good heel, he has more than the talent needed to make it work. But this recent heel run hasn't been very good so far IMO.
People cheer him, therefore he's not very effective. I guess instead of, "Yep! Yep! Yep!" You can say, "Nope! Nope! Nope!"

The Sheik

The Architect
Technician
Reaction score
He's the only reason i tune into Smackdown right now. I use to think this guy was boring as shit until he turned heel. Now he's the most entertaining part of Smackdown. I had no idea his guy was so charismatic.

As long as i'm entertained by him, don't give a shit if he's effective or not. Just keep being entertaining.

Reactions: 123seanwwf

InSaNe

I lost it. I'm InSaNe!
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Favorite Wrestler
bullyray
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk
Favorite Wrestler
oAYiXZo
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Sports Team
6yloAaa
Nope. He is more like a jobber-heel. If that makes any sense...

The way I see jobbers is for comedic or "there's no reason for this" kind of grey area in the face vs heels bubble. Zayn needs more heat in order to become a full heel.

Zayn is treating everything like a fucking joke, so like... I'm returning that back at him.

Crithu

The Lunatic Fringe
Reaction score
Nowadays, there are very few truly effective heels, because anyone who is decently good at it starts getting cheered.

Whether or not he is an effective heel or not, I don't know, but I am enjoying the work he's done since he turned to the Kevin Owens side. I also love the fact that he's basically the same person he was before. It makes his new attitude seem more genuine to me.

Gman003

The Lunatic Fringe
Hotshot
Reaction score
Yeah I'm not sure. Like I don't mind Sami but I didn't ever picture him as the heel type. When this Owens/zayn pairing splits Up, does Sami keep the heel and Owens is face? Oddly enough that would work the best for their mania match that I'm sure is coming up

CM Punk

AJ Styles
Champion
Reaction score
I'd say so. He does some annoying shit to piss people off.
People just tend to hate on wrestlers based off wrestling ability and not characters nowadays.

Tyler2

Abap
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Favorite Wrestler
Hv5zY64
Favorite Wrestler
shawnmichaels
Favorite Wrestler
reymysterio
Favorite Wrestler
rvd
Favorite Wrestler
randyorton
Favorite Sports Team
rRE8Tx2
Favorite Sports Team
dJHMFjb
He makes a good heel, but the crowd chants his song at the beginning of the match

Grievous 3D

Is Currently In Stasis
Banned
Reaction score
I would say Yep simply because at least he's
getting TV time & more high profile matches now.

His pairing with Owens makes more sense to me
than the Owens/Jericho pairing did...at least it does
in my opinion.

Gman003

The Lunatic Fringe
Hotshot
Reaction score
His pairing with Owens makes more sense to me
than the Owens/Jericho pairing did...at least it does
in my opinion.

I get where you're coming from Grievs, but at the same time Owens/Jericho was gold. And it was most likely a tactic to get Owens more screen time earlier on. Jericho is and always has been a huge name. Sharing the fact that they're both Canadian helps. I know Sami is too, but his name was nowhere near Jericho level then. He was still brand new on the main roster.

Regardless, I like the Owens/Sami pairing. Finally got to really see it last night for the first time. And given more time I'm sure they'll spin it into gold.

Grievous 3D

Is Currently In Stasis
Banned
Reaction score
I get where you're coming from Grievs, but at the same time Owens/Jericho was gold.
Not to me isn't wasn't...Jericho's list was more over than Owens &
the Universal title itself with Owens playing second fiddle for most
of his run.

I frankly found thst booking complete bullshit and stated that at the
time in my RAW recaps.

Owens & Zayn are more of an equal pairing instead of having one
them overshadowed by a legend with a clip board.

I'm sorry...but I'm all about the newer, younger talent being put over...
not veteran, part timers taking up valuable TV & match time.

And speaking of that...Kurt Angle, Shane McMahon & Triple H can
all fuck off to.

Gman003

The Lunatic Fringe
Hotshot
Reaction score
But I mean when Owens debuted zayn was out injured wasn't he? And if you bring 2 guys up together from nxt it would be so much harder to get them both over. Owens had a great debut vs cena for the US title. And that little feud was huge in catapulting Owens. Pair him with Jericho and he instantly becomes bigger. Good or bad his name gets more value overall.
All the while they start building Sami zayn little by little. He comes in under the radar. Has alot of bad luck..gains the baby face naturally. Then the two former-now-reconnected best friends are one of the most over duo in WWE. Had they started together they would have most likely flopped, and eventually become jobbers.

They're both over as hell currently and doing a storyline together that is great. Now almost "leaning" on Shane and Daniel names/positions to make their names even larger. In the long run...the path that they've taken with both superstars has been good, and here we are with a great pairing. Unfortunately they'll soon be split up and facing one another...because...WWE creative loves doing that.

InSaNe

I lost it. I'm InSaNe!
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Favorite Wrestler
bullyray
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk
Favorite Wrestler
oAYiXZo
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Sports Team
6yloAaa
Oh c'mon, @Grievous! Owens/Jericho climaxed at the whole "you just made the list!" That was pure fucking gold. Most of the booking was horrible, but that was awesome and then that appreciation turn at the end, that was awesome. MORE PLEASE!