Is Abyssamania Really Something Else?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Reaction score
Ok so I really do hate Hogan, and I think he's one of the most egotistical fucks on the planet. This got me to wondering, after I saw the Abyss/Wolfe match at Sacrifice.

Is the whole Abyss/Hogan angle just a way for Hogan to continue his own 'legacy' through Abyss? I mean, Abyss even went to the lengths of doing a 'hulk up' etc. Do you think this whole angle/gimmick is just a way for Hogan to keep himself MORE on television, in more ways?

Yeh, it's a bit of a stretch, but I feel if anyone would do it, it'd be Hogan.

CMS

Reaction score
I don't know about that, but I am sure this is a way of Hogan toothing his own horn. I mean, he goes out and says in every interview he will make out of Abyss the biggest babyface ever and that he will make him his John Cena franchise guy and how does he do it? Giving him the Hulkamania gimmick. Arrogant much.

Jon Honcho

Reaction score
I thought he might be doing it to either turn himself or Abyss heel. Abyss says he's fed up and black hole slams Hogan. Although that might make him a bigger babyface! It's more likely that Hogan will turn heel. yay...

Tobe__

Reaction score
I always thought the AJ/Abyss feud was meant to be this generations Flair/Hogan feud.

Haight

Reaction score
Ok I'm probably repeating myself here because I know I said this in another thread but...

You have to wonder why Hogan chose Abyss to "believe in" and give his HOF ring to. When you think about all the young talent on the TNA roster...why Abyss?? The only logical reason would be that Hogan was/is using Abyss to gain acceptance in a skeptical lockerroom. It's a classic tactic. When you're a new guy in a new environment, one of the first things you do is find someone (typically someone weaker and dumber than you) inside that existing environment who is willing to support you. This in turn, helps you gain acceptance from those who may be skeptical of your motives.

Once Hogan has gained acceptance with the TNA roster more or less, then Abyss's importance in Hogans agenda becomes diminished. We would then see Abyss's role be relegated to that of either of Hogans lackey (carrying out Hogans orders) or the company stooge. Either way it would end with Hogan turning heel.

In another thread I floated the idea that Hogan was attempting to start a religious cult, and that he was using Abyss as it's cornerstone. This idea was balked at by some and perhaps rightfully so, but the only reason I mentioned it was because Hogans releationship with Abyss exhibits cult-like characteristics. He took a weak, vulnerable charcter like Abyss and made him believe he is something that he is truly not. Everyone can see that Abyssmania and Hulkamania are not synonymous....Everyone except Abyss that is.

That takes us to the present. When Abyss got hit by the car and when he attacked Chelsea, I thought this would have been a great way to reveal Abyss' split personality and that Father James Mitchell had re-entered Abyss's life. Thus turning him heel by returning him to his origins. It
appears though that it's not working out that way. I have no idea where they are going with this storyline now.

chessarmy

Reaction score
I think so, you have to remember Hogan is his own number 1 fan, he obviously made the Abyssamania gimmick because he believes it can draw when in reality, nobody gives a fuck. The problem is Hogan doesn't realize this and until Abyss turns heel, I don't think much is going to change

Tobe__

Reaction score
Except the fact that, no one gives two shits about Abyss, but for some reason, Hogan can't see that.

xtremebadass

Reaction score
You see if Hogan was smarter he would have chosen someone WAY better than Abyss. What does the character of Hulk Hogan have to do with a 6'8 masked monster turned cry baby like Abyss? Nothing.

There is a long list of names that could have been the "next Hulk Hogan" just like AJ was billed as the "next Ric Flair" in TNA land.

hndsmepete

Reaction score
Abyss was cool before Hogan turned him into a fucking pussy.

I think they had him as a pussy before Hogan was in TNA. The entirety of Abyss' work from summer to end of 2009 played him off like he's a total pussy with anxiety who was afraid of going hardcore & afraid of Mick Foley. There was nothing better than when Foley called Abyss a clone. I heard Foley in a satellite radio interview say he felt regret saying that because he thought that it potentially hurt Abyss' feelings, who obviously is a huge fan of his. Hogan just turned him into a complete blueberry who covets a ring like Gollum.