If you were Steve Austin, would YOU have walked out in 2002?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Citan

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
kurtangle
Favorite Wrestler
mickfoley
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Personally, I'd agreed to job Brock Lesnar and help build the next generation of superstars. However, I'd clearly tell Vince that losing to Brock is stupid and that he wouldn't resign in 2003

Reactions: Keith

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
Let me down a 30 pack and pop some painkillers and then I'll tell you what I would have done in Austin's shoes

Crippler

Prove me wrong
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisbenoit2
I don't think the problem was jobbing to brock, I always thought it was because it had no build and they wanted to do it on RAW in 6 minutes. Austin was thinking I'm Austin, why not stretch this to the KOTR finals and it would be a bigger deal for Brock. I could be wrong though.

I also think Austin was so burnt out by this point, he was just looking for an out.

If it was me, IDK what I would have done.

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
It's an interesting question for sure, I'd be curious or what Austin thinks about the situation today, I'm sure he's commented on his podcast or something about it any of you guys listen to that?

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
My history knowledge is non-existent but if it's to do that with supposed match against Brock during the King of the Ring tournament, everything that I recall Austin saying was basically what Fab just put.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
Austin said walking out was the biggest regret he's had professionally.

That being said, a throw away match on Raw? That's some shitty writing. If you don't fight for your credibility then you are not a top guy.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
Depends on how you look at it. My guess is that when Austin said its his biggest regret, he probably means that looking back it was an unprofessional thing to do. Career wise he had peaked and needed to re-charge his batteries anyway. As for his argument about not doing the job to Brock (if indeed that's the true story)? Think it helps that as Fab said Austin can justify his argument with the lack of logic the booking committee put in front of him. I can see it as being a self-centred move, but with that logic in mind, he was probably right to object.

Cwalker

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
randyorton
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
codyrhodes
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Favorite Wrestler
jaylethal
Favorite Sports Team
BZw58qk
Steve Austin vs Brock Lesnar for the first time ever should not have happened in some throw away qualifying match on RAW. If anything that’s the KOTR Final.

I understand Austin’s frustration but I’m not a fan of guys walk out. I remember being a 14 year old kid and even then losing a little respect for Austin. That being said, I wouldn’t have done it.

It’s 16 years later tho, Austin has said numerous that it was the biggest mistake of his career and it’s not like Brock’s momentum was hurt cause he didn’t go over Austin so it’s irrelevant at this point

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
I feel like a lot of people act like Austin turned down losing to Brock like it was going to be a Rock/Brock summerslam situation too and not just a raw match

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
You do wonder if there was more to the story. Like maybe Austin was in WWF/E's bad books for some reason. I just find it amazing that they thought giving away Brock VS. Austin on free TV was a smart thing to do. Don't forget this was still when Brock was establishing himself too.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
You do wonder if there was more to the story. Like maybe Austin was in WWF/E's bad books for some reason. I just find it amazing that they thought giving away Brock VS. Austin on free TV was a smart thing to do. Don't forget this was still when Brock was establishing himself too.
This company gave Reigns/Samoa Joe, AJ/Bryan, Cena/Nakamura on tv for free.

Cwalker

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
randyorton
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
codyrhodes
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Favorite Wrestler
jaylethal
Favorite Sports Team
BZw58qk
I don’t think Austin had heat with anyone or the company but I think based on his WM match that maybe the WWE started to look at Austin as a diminishing star. Still makes no sense for this match to happen on Raw tho

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
This company gave Reigns/Samoa Joe, AJ/Bryan, Cena/Nakamura on tv for free.

True, but I guess I see today's WWE as a era when they it just normal booking practice. Back in 2002 it wasn't so far gone.

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
It wasn't a king of the ring qualifier but they basically fed Hogan to Brock just a few weeks later anyway

Reactions: Cwalker

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
It wasn't a king of the ring qualifier but they basically fed Hogan to Brock just a few weeks later anyway

I can remember being quite surprised by that. Interesting that Hogan put Kurt over clean around the same time. Maybe a Alien life force had taken over Hulk during those days:D