• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

IF they unify the belts, should we get a cruiserweight belt back?

Snowman1

Chillin' with the snowmies.
Reaction score
I don't look at the belt as a "belt with rich history" like you do, all I see is "the belt that means you're the best of the wrestlers not good enough to be in the main event". You'll argue that they could just treat the belt right, they can restart the "rising up the ranks" concept they should be doing. I just don't think they will. As you say, don't see why they bother with a Divas' division anymore. They won't scratch that either, so better to have that belt around. (plus with everyone drooling/raging over AJ that's 1 person more over than the entire mid-card right now)

Dolph'sZiggler

Biggest self-mark since Bret Hart
Reaction score
I don't look at the belt as a "belt with rich history" like you do, all I see is "the belt that means you're the best of the wrestlers not good enough to be in the main event". You'll argue that they could just treat the belt right, they can restart the "rising up the ranks" concept they should be doing. I just don't think they will. As you say, don't see why they bother with a Divas' division anymore. They won't scratch that either, so better to have that belt around. (plus with everyone drooling/raging over AJ that's 1 person more over than the entire mid-card right now)

AJ is over? outside of with 15 year old boys on the Internet? I've never noticed.

And if there were only 2 belts what choice would WWE have but to book the IC title like they did when it was meaningful?

I hate to pull rank but I think there is a genuine possibility that you view the IC belt like you do strictly because of when you started watching wrestling. Since 2009 the belt has been absolute shit and if that was all I had seen of it I may not think it is salvageable either. Not to say you are ignorant to the history of the IC belt by any stretch.

Cloud

Champion
Reaction score
Personally i dont see a cruiserweight belt watering down the top tier as since WWE is the big man obsessed they have plenty for those guys to do. I just see it as a way to break up some of the top feuds instead of with shitty comedic skits that are piss poor you could have a cruiserweight division of guys like Gabriel who will never hold the big one. For me its on a wrestling basis as it'd mean more wrestling and as stated less comedic crap thats not funny even to a child.

Dolph'sZiggler

Reaction score
Personally i dont see a cruiserweight belt watering down the top tier as since WWE is the big man obsessed they have plenty for those guys to do. I just see it as a way to break up some of the top feuds instead of with shitty comedic skits that are piss poor you could have a cruiserweight division of guys like Gabriel who will never hold the big one. For me its on a wrestling basis as it'd mean more wrestling and as stated less comedic crap thats not funny even to a child.
I would rather see a guy like Gabriel put into a feud with a storyline and give me a reason to care.

A cruiserweight belt is just another excuse for WWE to not book feuds properly and just book superstar X has belt superstar Y want belt lettuce wrasssle now!

Cloud

Champion
Reaction score
I would rather see a guy like Gabriel put into a feud with a storyline and give me a reason to care.

A cruiserweight belt is just another excuse for WWE to not book feuds properly and just book superstar X has belt superstar Y want belt lettuce wrasssle now!
I get your point as WWE cant book anything at the min. I agree but only if as you mention feuds would be involved. Ho hum I doubt it I'll keep dreaming.

Lockard 23

The WWF/E Guru
Reaction score
I don't think it matters whether or not they unify the belts, would love to see it back. A cruiserweight division would kick ass. Would rather them all be stuck in a Cruiserweight division than bumping their heads against the ceilings of midcard/superstars hell.

Didn't see the old WCW Cruiserweight division, can someone fill me in to how that it was so limiting/damaging to the wrestlers?

It didn't, but WCW had one of the strongest rosters in history in '97 and especially '98 and there was really no room for the cruiserweights except mostly in their own weight division.

I don't find this true today. How many cruiserweights are there to really comprise of a strong division? Kidd? Cara? Gabriel? Maybe drop Kofi down to that division?

The division has never been that over in the WWE that I recall. I remember the Ultimo Dragon being over in WCW but when he came to the WWE in 2004, he got little reaction and no one cared about him and he was gone in no time.

IMO, the best way to handle the cruiserweights is to spread them across the show. They can still have great, fast-paced matches with one another on Raw sporadically (you need some type of matches to fill those three hours) and they can even still have feuds with one another that don't revolve around the CW Title (see Billy Kidman/Paul London from '04, for example... it was a better feud than any of the ones that revolved around the championship that year and probably the previous few years before that) but you can also book them in things above just the limited weight division intended for smaller wrestlers.

Reactions: Dolph'sZiggler

Dolph'sZiggler

Reaction score
Lockard spitting truth.

Taka was the 'light heavyweight champ' feuding with Lawler's son in the late 90s and nobody gave a shit honestly.

C.M. Shaddix

The Architect
Hotshot
Reaction score
Well once the belts are unified tonight we are down to 4 men's titles, US will be a little more active title after tonight to my estimate, a cruiserweight belt doesn't sound necessary.