How would you revamp the Tag Division?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Reaction score
The title says it all. What would you do to build the tag division back up to where it once was?

I would start using guys who aren't doing anything and put them in tag teams. WWE shouldn't be wasting talent when they can put them in a good tag team. Here are some that come to my mind at the moment.

Barretta and Hawkins (The New Dudebusters)
Darren Young and Percy Watson (The South Beach Boys)
Evan Bourne and Kaval (Can't think of a name)
Cody Rhodes and Chris Masters (Give Masters a gimmick like Cody's and they can be called "The Dashing Ones)
FInlay and WIlliam Regal (Europe's Elite)
R-Truth and Ezekial Jackson (Truth and Consequences)
Primo and Chavo (Just Primo and Chavo, I guess)
Skip Shefield and Ted Dibiase (Shefield could play the bodyguard)
reform Hart Dynasty in a few months

Thats all I could think of right now but that would help the tag division a lot. I would also give tag teams for exposure. Have more at least one tag match on Raw, Superstars, and Smackdown every week.

Colin Gimp

Reaction score
Well considering that the tag division has only been succesful when they're has been an enormous amount of weapons and tomfoolery i'd go back to that formula. Prowrestling isn't very entertaining and considering that tag teams generally consist of lower tier wrestlers the last thing they should be doing is more raw tag matches. Either get violent or/and get creative or tag up your main event if you want a tag divison

Kaedon

Reaction score
Actually feature the tag champs in a feud....

Reaction score
I like the OP's ideas. I like tag teams that have a gimmick, and as lame as it sounds, wear similar ring attire and have tag team finishers. There is lots of potential on the roster to have a good, credible tag division.

Reaction score
now why would you pair Kaval and Bourne up since Bourne is injured????

I don't see any of these tag teams being good at all.

pumpt73

Reaction score
Disturbed has some good points and I whole heartedly agree with him about putting some of the guys they're not using together and seeing what can happen. But, you can't just pair guys up and expect success. First and foremost, most of WWE's core audience, doesn't really care about Tag Team wrestling. They don't feature tag teams the way they used to, and that would have to be their first coup. You have to get the fans interest back. Think back to the 70's, 80's, and 90's when WWF was putting out some of the best tag team wrestling around. Tag feuds were on the card and the fans looked forward to them. The feud between The British Bulldogs and The Hart Foundation is what I would tell them to study. That was a match fans wanted to see.

Start slowly by pairing some guys up and see how they work. Get a few teams coming on television and staking their claim that they WANT the WWE Tag Team Championship. Rarely do you hear of guys saying "we're coming after those tag team belts" these days. Feature tag team matches on both Smackdown and Raw, and for all that is Holy, get the belts defended more on PPV. In fact, get some of your teams feuding that heads into a PPV. It's not hard to do, they just have to put it into motion. Also, bring in some new teams. If you can lure the Briscoes or the Kings of Wrestling to your organization, it would be a huge adrenalin shot into a stagnant division. Of course Jay and Mark have already re-signed with ROH. WWE can do it, they just have to get the fans excited about the division again.

Montana

Reaction score
That's what i was thinking.... If the WWE was serious about promoting tag wrestling again, then go sign the Briscoe's, Kings of Wrestling, and the Motor City Machine Guns. Yes the machine guns as well. I've always felt, if the WWE could steal some of TNA's young talent, the guns would be the ones that could make an impact in the WWE. Kings and Briscoes are no brainers. Shelton and Haas would make a great additional or resign to the roster as well.

But in reality the WWE doesn't give two shits about the tag titles. For all i care, they could scrap the titles, and i wouldn't notice. If the last 5 years wasn't bad enough. They put the belts on Mcintyre and Rhodes, who won the belts after teaming up for like 1 night. Only to lose them, right away, and break up the tag team. It's awful. A 6 year old could book a tag division 10x better than the WWE.

Airfixx

Reaction score
Wasted 'breath' but...

*Get some proper teams (ring gear, gimmicks, tandem-offence),
*Create rivalries, fueds and storylines and make it seem like the belts are actually sauight after,
*Title matches on PPV (NOT last minute throwaway time-fillers like the recent tag turmoil or the way they quickly threw togther the DiBiase US-title challenge to Bryan.)

To be honest, that still generally counts for mid card too. :sigh:

MC Rae

Reaction score
It's got to start from scratch really, its sad that such a once-celebrated element of pro-wrestling has fallen by the wayside and has been left to rot away.

There needs to be a good number of tag teams to start with, which may require bringing up/recruiting new talent, have competetive matches on TV and create a 'buzz' around a resurgence of the tag division (the division is so far gone WWE should acknowledge/accept that tag team wrestling has almost been killed). Make it seem like the belts are something for the wrestlers to strive for, make it seem important to them and in return the fans will grow to feel as if the tag belts are important.

Once you have credible tag teams putting on competitive matches weekly on TV then PERSONALLY I'd love to see a tournament for the championships. Again, giving something fans to follow and invest emotion in. You may need to vacate the titles somehow but seeing as how dead the division is, that can easily be done. From there as mentioned by others, the championships would have to be defended on PPV's and feuds would need to be created and seen through to the end. It may take time and patience to re-ignite the division but it would be worth it.

You can't forget how tag teams offer great development for wrestlers, some who may not have all the skills to go it alone learn and improve through being in a tag team.

pumpt73

Reaction score
See you really don't even need a tournament for the belts. Thing is, you can't bring a bunch of teams in all at once. You have to do it gradually. Keep your present champions, and have your newer combinations build themselves up. Again, have them come on television and publically say they want the tag team belts. An influx of several teams will make it look like they're trying too hard to get tag teams back over. That does no good because the fans have to have time to see newer teams develop. Also, if you can sign away teams like Jay and Mark Briscoe or KOW, don't make plans to split them up. Let them team up. This is their specialty. It really wouldn't take as much as everyone thinks. All WWE has to do is go back and see what it's done before. They know how to make the division better, I just don't think they're interested in doing so. Remember, it's a multmedia conglomerate now, not a wrestling promotion.

Doomsday

Reaction score
Am I allowed to consider re-signing people of reasonable age?

Some of those ideas up there are pretty fucking good.

Actually feature the tag champs in a feud....

The big change I'd make to the tag division is an elimination element.
Most of the teams I'd make would be stables and not teams, but not factions either.

Sheamus, William Regal & Drew McIntyre (The Isles Revenge)

Props on a good thread

Hometown Kid

Reaction score
Meh, the same problem in tag team wrestling in WWE is the same as the women's and the same as the mid-card. Dedicate some time to actual feuds and such before blowing it off on PPV. I think it's so asinine that every title isn't defended on every PPV. (Scratch NoC from the schedule and make that every month + 2/3 non-title feuds a month.) These things take time and their target audience will care about it if they build it up. I'd say start by giving tag teams 20 minutes on Raw and SD each for a match/angle deal is a good place to start. Then at the end of the week the teams have had a good chunk of time for the audience to be invested into.

Getting good teams is the easy part. Time and meaning to the teams/belts is what is needed.

ahorrig

Reaction score
Meh, the same problem in tag team wrestling in WWE is the same as the women's and the same as the mid-card. Dedicate some time to actual feuds and such before blowing it off on PPV. I think it's so asinine that every title isn't defended on every PPV. (Scratch NoC from the schedule and make that every month + 2/3 non-title feuds a month.) These things take time and their target audience will care about it if they build it up. I'd say start by giving tag teams 20 minutes on Raw and SD each for a match/angle deal is a good place to start. Then at the end of the week the teams have had a good chunk of time for the audience to be invested into.

Getting good teams is the easy part. Time and meaning to the teams/belts is what is needed.

I do agree with that. If there was no space at the pay-per-view, i wish they could at least have it at a live show. they should keep the current belts, and have 3-way etc. matches when possible(to give the newer teams a shot). TNA's tag team division has teams with gimicks, matching attire, good tag team moves, and some hype about the belts. They have hardcore matches, which is good for showing how intense a feud is. I would like WWE to go a little bit into that direction. I doubt they would just be able to instantly pull all the mentioned wrestlers away from the companies they are in now.

Reaction score
I really like some of the teams that you posted. I agree that the WWE has to revamp their tag team division. We have an amazing idea where NXT Season 5 should be based on finding the next breakthrough tag team. Interesting read here: http://thewrestlinglounge.com/2010/12/nxt-season-5-idea/. Let us knwo what yyou think. Is the idea too far fetched? Or do you think it could work?

The title says it all. What would you do to build the tag division back up to where it once was?

I would start using guys who aren't doing anything and put them in tag teams. WWE shouldn't be wasting talent when they can put them in a good tag team. Here are some that come to my mind at the moment.

Barretta and Hawkins (The New Dudebusters)
Darren Young and Percy Watson (The South Beach Boys)
Evan Bourne and Kaval (Can't think of a name)
Cody Rhodes and Chris Masters (Give Masters a gimmick like Cody's and they can be called "The Dashing Ones)
FInlay and WIlliam Regal (Europe's Elite)
Primo and Chavo (Just Primo and Chavo, I guess)
Skip Shefield and Ted Dibiase (Shefield could play the bodyguard)
reform Hart Dynasty in a few months

Thats all I could think of right now but that would help the tag division a lot. I would also give tag teams for exposure. Have more at least one tag match on Raw, Superstars, and Smackdown every week.