How would you guys feel about Alberto Del Rio as comedic babyface?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Rell

Reaction score
I've noticed the IWC seems pretty apathetic when it comes to 'Berto. In fact, that's putting it lightly.

So ehh...why not turn him? His MITB commercial was so over-the-top that it made him a bit lovable in a weird way. I think he'd be absolutely GREAT with a rich, over-the-top comedic character. It would be a bit Ted Dibiase'esque, but a lot funnier.

I imagine them running vignettes similar to Dave Chappelle's cribs parody -

[yt]cRMKfkBNzbQ[/yt]

and when I say over-the-top, I mean completely over-the-top. I'm talking Ricardo feeding Del Rio diamond studded cheerios while bikini clad women fan him, wash his feet, and fucking...idk, light his cigar or something. Just go way overboard with it. Make him seem as if he's richest fucker ever, but in a complete lulz way.

Sounds like a plan, right? I'm like 99.9% certain that he'd go over hugely. It'll be a lot more entertaining that this destiny shit he's been doing. Someone get me Vinny Macs email address...

MizMasta3000

Reaction score
Meh. I'm one of the few Del Rio fans. I think he's improving on the mic and getting more aggressive in the ring. It'll become overkill like Truth's Lil Jimmy thing.

Rell

Reaction score
He was never bad on the mic, honestly. He's just boring...

He was aggressive when he debuted (beating the shit out of Rey Mysterio) and it really did nothing for him...No matter how aggressive he gets in the ring, it'll still be impossible to care for him with his character the way it is at the moment. He needs a change. Turning face is pretty much a must in my eyes.

Hometown Kid

Reaction score
Yeah, I don't see that working. Who could cheer a super rich guy? The fans would shit all over that.

I like him in the ring and he's not so bad on the mic. But he is so stale it kills his act. I don't know what he should do, but i'm with you that he needs to turn if he wants to stay in the ME scene. But a character change would be more necessary than just to go overboard as a rich guy to turn him into a face. IMO they should just turn Ricardo on him and push him as a wrestler, who turns into a huge mega-face. Ricardo's awesome and way more over than Alberto. The WWE needs Ricardo as WWE Champion.

MizMasta3000

Reaction score
^I'd be down for that. It seems more reasonable to go the Alex Riley route.

Ricardo to get a big push for a good month or so then disappears off to NXT. I'd cry. >_>

...god...

Reaction score
Change his gimmick to that, but why turn him face? It'll make him a more interesting heel if he would seriously play out his rich guy shit, which he doesn't do enough.

Luke Flywalker

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
machoman
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Del Rio needs to be the Mexican Sheamus if they want to make his "character" fresh.

No way in Hell he'd settle for being a comedic act. He almost didn't sign his contract because he wanted a guarantee he'd be more aggressive.

BTW, the character you described reminds me of Sandow...

Rell

Reaction score
Trust me, he'd get cheered. If Eddie Guerrero got over as a babyface with a gimmick that called for lying, cheating and stealing, Del Rio can go over for being a funny Mexican with long money.

it HAS to be comedic in order to work, though.

MizMasta3000

Reaction score
Guerrero just had charisma out the ass. Everything he did was funny to me.

Airfixx

Reaction score
Shoulda been getting 'rich-man heat' for him for ages by now, but when has he actually been seen to abuse his wealth?

Have him buy off opponents, bribing GMs, buying RR spots, whatever.

MizMasta3000

Reaction score
Yeah it could go over well with the elections coming up.