How do YOU feel about Bret Hart?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

MikeRaw

Lol, not only that, but it wasn't even Bret's home town. Bret is from the great city of Calgary, Alberta, Canada. Survvior Series was in Montreal, Quebec. Even though I said I don't really take sides in it, because everyone involved were childish, and even though I actually prefer Bret, I do find the whol thing about not losing in Canada to be funny. People from the states, where most guys are from in wrestler, lose titles in their home country every friggen day.

The Rated R CMStar

I actually want to see the point of the argument that places the blame on HBK.

MikeRaw

Shawn deserves blame for:

-Being one of the biggest assholes at the time, which is one of the reasons Bret didn't want to job with him. He didn't want to job to a guy who wouldn't do the same (Undertaker has told numerous stories of HBK refusing to do the job, until he threatened to kick his ass, at which point HBK decided to job). If HBK wouldn't do the same for someone else, why would Bret do it for him? Not to mention, like I said, at the time, HBK was a flat out dick to Bret and others. Bret didn't wanna job to an asshole (which Shawn was at the time)

-This part is not confirmed, but it's widely speculated it was partly his idea to do the "screw job" after Bret refused to job.

HBK is a much better guy now, and I respect him a ton, but there's no denying he's partly responsible (not near as much as Bret though), and no denying he was a huge dick at the time.

mancilla 86

Reaction score
good point hbk is a huge dick him and the "kliq" at least bret is honest enough to admit things shawn on the other hand like to lie to make himself feel better..and yea ive heard the same things about taker and hbk..not to mention that what makes me sick is that hbk acted like he didnt know anything.

CT Styles

good point hbk is a huge dick him and the "kliq" at least bret is honest enough to admit things shawn on the other hand like to lie to make himself feel better..and yea ive heard the same things about taker and hbk..not to mention that what makes me sick is that hbk acted like he didnt know anything.
For fuck's sake, you're just a pissed off Bret Hart mark adding nothing to the discussion. HBK's a dick to you, we get it.

Shawn Michaels is my hero and I even accept that he was an absolute cockhead back then but basically it came down to Bret refusing to drop the title. If he was cooperative, we wouldn't be having this discussion then, would we?

JimmyD

Reaction score
Well, terminology aside, bottom line is Bret's decisions/actions brought about the screwjob... Look at it as a breed of blackmail if you prefer. (I don't think they really have a word for the kind of abuse of position/power it was because this is kind of a wrestling-exclusive scenario)

Maybe his disliking of HBK accentuated his reasoning, but it's mainly reported that he didn't want to drop the strap in front of a home-town crowd (Which is bogus anyway cos he wasn't from Montreal!).

Yeah I agree with that. In fact, having read his book and watched Wrestling With Shadows and the official Bret Hart dvd numerous times the overall impression I get regarding HBK is that Bret felt hurt that his time in the spotlight was being reduced in order to bring in Shawn. In his own words:

"Instead of letting me have my time as Champion they were determined, as deteremined as they ever were, to make sure that Shawn was the next big thing."

Again, I love the guy, but this quote seems to speak volumes about Bret's inability to let his natural dislike for HBK take a backseat over smart business sense, and in the end that's what caused the Montreal Screw Job.

He says he didn't want to drop the strap in Cananda but, as he's said, he'd lost in Cananda before so that wasn't where the beef lay, it was just plain old unprofessionalism on Bret's part as he refused to job to a wrestler he didn't like. Pretty childish in the end, especially given Bret's response to it when a large part of the situation was his fault.

Airfixx

^^^^Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think he ever dropped the strap on canadian soil though...

bret had no problem jobbing or dropping the title at survivor series.. him and mcmahon both stated this its just that bret wanted to drop it the next night on raw

Way to contradict yourself in the space of a single sentence.

..as far as backstage politics bret even stated that nash,hall and hhh offered for bret to join them in the "kliq" but refused seeing as he saw that as unfair and bias toward other wrestlers!

Big deal. He chose to look out for his own selfish agenda instead.

Your point is?

JimmyD

Reaction score
Yeah I'm not entirely sure whether he'd ever dropped a title in Canada actually.

Chuck Taylor's Grenade

Shawn Michaels wasn't the only person Bret Hart didn't want to cooperate with. Kevin Nash (I know he's tight with Michaels but that's beside the point) said in his shoot interview talking about his cage match with Bret. The one where Undertaker was supposed to interfere and cost Nash the title leading to their match at Wrestlemania 12. Nash and probably Vince wanted Nash to stick Bret with his finisher so it would look like a clear win and give more heat to the Undertaker-Nash feud. But Bret whined about it and Undertaker yelled at Bret. So yeah it wasn't just about Bret's hatred for Shawn. And I'm sure there's other examples out there.

MikeRaw

I've heard numerous stories of HBK not co-operating with anyone else, not the other way around. I have seen many interview (out of character) with Taker from 2003ish where he recalls many times he had to personally threaten Shawn to do the job, and suck it up and lose. I can post the video if you like. I've never heard anything about Taker yelling at Bret.

Reaction score
I've heard numerous stories of HBK not co-operating with anyone else, not the other way around. I have seen many interview (out of character) with Taker from 2003ish where he recalls many times he had to personally threaten Shawn to do the job, and suck it up and lose. I can post the video if you like. I've never heard anything about Taker yelling at Bret.

Looks like Taker's got more professionalism, and sense than both HBK, and the Hitman put together.

mancilla 86

Reaction score
its also that he own some stocks and a very small portion of wwe..so he has alot of power backstage

NinoBrown

Reaction score
How do I feel about Hart? Never liked him.

Not because of the Screwjob and not because Bret was uncooperative to drop the title. I just didn't like Hart. Didn't like his character, didn't like his matches and didn't like his fanbase. He was Matt Hardy back in the day for me (no accomplishments are included in that comparision, so calm down) and for those who actually read my posts know I HATE Matt Hardy.

I found his matches boring (not included WM12 or WM13) and I found myself cheering for his opponents most times. You can be as technical as you want but if you don't have me out my seat then you're wack to me.

Corndog

Reaction score
I'm sure Bret is "over it" I mean he was at the HOF and everything.

It's just the net fans that keep bringing up the damn thing. Other than that I believe Bret should've just agreed to drop the damn belt but I do respect him as being one of the greatest in-ring performers of all time and including some of his off the top of the head classic matches like his Cage match with Owen WM 12 Iron Man with HBK and his WM match with Austin.

Kizza

1 word. Overrated.

That's all i've seen from his matches. Never understood all the hype.