How do YOU feel about Bret Hart?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Reaction score
I respect The Hitman as a one time great wrestler, and a real big part of wrestling history. However everytime I read an interview from him he still seems to be carrying so much negativity about the Montreal Screwjob, and WWE( some of it is understandable like Owen Hart's death) but some of it is so petty. He still has so much animosity towards HBK, and such even though it's been well over a decade since.

I think he should just breathe, and let it go.Shawn has certainly let a lot of stuff go(I dunno if HBK is being on the level, but he seems to have shown that he wants to bury the hatchet at times). By Bret hanging onto this bad shit he's just letting HBK get to him when it should've been over years ago.

I feel Bret is really letting that bad juju define him, and I'm wondering why he's so willing to let the image of him being a bitter, jaded ex wrestler overshadow all the many good things he accomplished in this business.

Travis40

Bret should just get over the fact that what Vince did was right. Vince didn't know if Bret would take the WWF Title onto Nitro, and do something to lower the value of the WWF Title, therefore hurting the WWF, so Vince did the only thing he could to get the Title off Bret. Bret should just fucking realize that, and quit being so bitchy.

Quintastic One

Reaction score
Case in point, Bret Hart wouldn't do the adult thing and drop the belt in a non house show event. Sure Vince McMahon "could" of done the trusting thing and believed that Bret Hart wouldn't leave until dropping the belt back on RAW. But at the time, there was a wrestling war going on. You couldn't AFFORD to trust a man on his word, especially if he was a man who was never going to wrestle for you again already CONFIRMED going over to aid the enemy. Honestly, would any one of Bret Harts defenders trusted him under THAT amount of pressure? If you said yes you either know nothing of being a businessmen or are lying. Nuff said.

MikeRaw

He's a great wrestler. He's a legend. And he's one of the most important wrestlers in WWE history, and one of my favorites as well. However, with that being said, he's got a lot of blame to take for not doing the job at Survivor Series '97. He can't toss all theblame on everyone else. But HBK has a blame on him as well, as does Vince. Another thing I will say in Bret's defense is, he always has to answer questions about whether he'll ever make up with Shawn and whatnot, whereas Shawn is rarely asked. Plus, Shawn is always the one saying he wants to "move past it" and maybe even be friends, yet as far as I know, and as far as they've both said, they've never phoned each other since.. If Shawn really wanted to get over it that badly, he'd just phone Bret and talk it out.
But overall, they've both got quite a bit of blame, and therefore, I just decided quite a while ago not to care either way, and just be neutral about it. Both were as bad as eachother, and it's really been blown way out of proportion.

mancilla 86

Reaction score
i honestly respect more of bret hart than hbfag..the guy at least has a lot of respect for other wrestlers and the business..as bret said he knows michaels real well and even though michaels says hes a born again christian..bret knows hes still a lying and manipulating piece of shit..at least bret never played a role in backstage politics to stay on top like hbk and hhh

Airfixx

^^^^Oh dear, oh dear....

Bret refused to drop the title... Hasn't your feeble brain even managed to digest THAT individual fact???

i honestly respect more of bret hart than hbfag..the guy at least has a lot of respect for other wrestlers and the business

You fool... That shit that Bret pulled on Vince was a slap in the face for his colleagues, the guys that jobbed for him to get him there, and the business in general... All of this from a guy that was claiming to be some last bastion of wrestling traditions?

Yeah, Bret's a real class act! : P

at least bret never played a role in backstage politics to stay on top like hbk and hhh

Yeah, cos refusing to drop the title isn't abusing your relative backstage power at all is it?

JimmyD

Reaction score
I wouldn't say Bret used politics backstage Airfixx, at least certainly not to the extent that others were doing it at the time. In fact I think the main reason he didn't want to drop the belt to HBK was because he knew how Shawn Michaels was backstage and didn't respect him at all.

However, it should be obvious to anyone who was watching wrestling at the time that what Bret did was unprofessional. There's no way you can spin it that doesn't end up with Bret being at least a bit of a dick and Vince stuck between a rock and a hard place. At the end of the day Vince and Bret were friends, so the decision to end the match at Survivor Series early must have been one of the most difficult of Vince's entire career. But when faced with either losing a good friend or suffering a potentially mortal blow in the wrestling war I know exactly which one of those options I would have chosen. Remember, this was going down in '97. It wasn't like in '92 (that year could be wrong) when Flair turned up on WWF TV with the WCW Title. No, this was the very peak of the monday night wars and there's not a person in the wrestling business - Bret included - who wouldn't have done the same thing as Vince in that position.

As for Bret letting it go, well, if he doesn't want to then he's not going to. I personally love him; he was the first wrestler I ever really got into and I'll always rank him as my favourite of all time. But we know he's got an ego the size of the moon on him, and I don't think that ego's quite ready to accept the disservices done to him in the past, particularly given how his WCW career went and how HBK has managed to carry on for another ten years in a spotlight at least remotely similar to the one he had at his peak, while Bret was forced into retirement and now seems to spend his time making silly comments. In that situation, I wouldn't feel like letting it go either. In fact, I'd be more bitter than ever.

MikeRaw

^^^^Oh dear, oh dear....

Bret refused to drop the title... Hasn't your feeble brain even managed to digest THAT individual fact???

You fool... That shit that Bret pulled on Vince was a slap in the face for his colleagues, the guys that jobbed for him to get him there, and the business in general... All of this from a guy that was claiming to be some last bastion of wrestling traditions?

Yah, cos refusing to drop the title isn't abusing your relative backstage power at all is it?

I think Jimmy D's is a much better symposis of what happened. Yes, Bret did refuse to drop the title, but that isn't exactly using backstage pwoer. Bret didn't even have backstage power. It was the guys like HHH and HBK that did. What Bret had would've been the opposite of backstage power, because all the guys hwo had power were working against him.
Like I said, what he did was pretty unprofessional, and also showed he can be stubborn (not to mention it's wrestling, and it seems like he took it too seriously) but I prefer him over Michaels, and both, as well as Vince, were wrong, so why pick sides? But Bret didn't use or abuse backstage power, because he didn't have much, if any.

Airfixx

I wouldn't say Bret used politics backstage Airfixx, at least certainly not to the extent that others were doing it at the time.

Well, terminology aside, bottom line is Bret's decisions/actions brought about the screwjob... Look at it as a breed of blackmail if you prefer. (I don't think they really have a word for the kind of abuse of position/power it was because this is kind of a wrestling-exclusive scenario)

In fact I think the main reason he didn't want to drop the belt to HBK was because he knew how Shawn Michaels was backstage and didn't respect him at all.

Maybe his disliking of HBK accentuated his reasoning, but it's mainly reported that he didn't want to drop the strap in front of a home-town crowd (Which is bogus anyway cos he wasn't from Montreal!).

Beer Money Army

Bret Hart is one of The Best In-Ring Wrestlers that WWE ever had.

for S.Series 1997 there is 2 sides to that story, Some parts i side with Vince and some i side with Bret Hart. But it's in The past. But With Bret signing with WCW did that happen after Summerslam 1997? (because if it happen before it, Then Vince should of been more professional of whom he chosen as his WWE Champion then.)

But i really doubt Bret Hart would disrespect Vince and the WWE by showing up to Nitro with the WWE Championship.

It's a Shame that WCW misused Bret Hart very badly in his last 2-3 years of his professional in-ring Career.

mancilla 86

Reaction score
^^^^Oh dear, oh dear....

Yeah, cos refusing to drop the title isn't abusing your relative backstage power at all is it?

bret had no problem jobbing or dropping the title at survivor series..him and mcmahon both stated this its just that bret wanted to drop it the next night on raw..as far as backstage politics bret even stated that nash,hall and hhh offered for bret to join them in the "kliq" but refused seeing as he saw that as unfair and bias toward other wrestlers!

The Rated R CMStar

bret had no problem jobbing or dropping the title at survivor series

He refused to job to Shawn Michaels. You can say all you want that if it were somebody else he could have done the job, but why would WWE or Vince morph their interests because of a guy leaving? He had to job to HBK, and he refused to. Vince had to take the title away from him.

May I remind you Bret has always had an issue with jobbing to HBK. He always whines when talking about WM 12.

Chuck Taylor's Grenade

I think in addition to it being about jobbing to shawn michaels it was bret didn't want to job in canada. And to that I say-who the fuck cares? Several people have jobbed in their hometowns and it didn't hurt their drawing power. Actually I think it helps future shows because more people will show up hoping to see the hometown hero get his revenge.