Histories Within The Network

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Veidt

ᴛᴏᴏ ꜱᴡᴇᴇᴛ ᴛᴏ ʙᴇ ꜱᴏᴜʀ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brianpillman
Favorite Wrestler
eddieguerrero2
Favorite Wrestler
machoman
Favorite Wrestler
mitsuharumisawa
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
owenhart
Favorite Sports Team
i738vsr
Favorite Sports Team
5HahPWE
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
Favorite Sports Team
detroitpistons
Histories Within The Network is an idea I have where I chronologically watch all of the Wrestling Events on the WWE Network. Using a compiled list I found on the WWE Network sub-reddit (r/WWE_Network), I’ll be watching only In-Ring content and will also do some research on the matches to give you more information on the cards and locations. I hope you all read and enjoy this series. I’ll post my first write up later tonight so Stay Tunes.

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
:mark: I wanted to try this for awhile and then I was about to when I found that list...then the Network did that big update last year and fucked up shit for a few months and I gave up :lol I wish you the best of luck. I was gonna try and watch everything, in-ring is probably much more manageable even if it's like 90% of the content still.

Reactions: Veidt

Hidden Blaze

The Wanted Man
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
MOLAnG4
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
homd3TG
Favorite Sports Team
gLxCq87
Favorite Sports Team
WrE8t1L
Favorite Sports Team
lurU13l
Favorite Sports Team
HHst8yg
That sounds awesome. I'll surely keep up with it. :mark: good luck bro!

Hoss

HELL IS NOT A MYTH
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Best of luck my friend.

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
I can't wait to hear your thoughts on the 1-on-3 karate match from the 50s

Hidden Blaze

The Wanted Man
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
MOLAnG4
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
homd3TG
Favorite Sports Team
gLxCq87
Favorite Sports Team
WrE8t1L
Favorite Sports Team
lurU13l
Favorite Sports Team
HHst8yg
I can't wait to hear your thoughts on the 1-on-3 karate match from the 50s

3WcNeh3g.jpg

Reactions: Hoss and Veidt

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
  • Haha
Reactions: Hidden Blaze

Hidden Blaze

The Wanted Man
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
MOLAnG4
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
homd3TG
Favorite Sports Team
gLxCq87
Favorite Sports Team
WrE8t1L
Favorite Sports Team
lurU13l
Favorite Sports Team
HHst8yg
It was added as a Hidden Gem last year, some gimmick someone in Texas was trying

Well, now I gotta watch that later on.

Reactions: Chris

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
Reactions: Hidden Blaze

Veidt

ᴛᴏᴏ ꜱᴡᴇᴇᴛ ᴛᴏ ʙᴇ ꜱᴏᴜʀ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brianpillman
Favorite Wrestler
eddieguerrero2
Favorite Wrestler
machoman
Favorite Wrestler
mitsuharumisawa
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
owenhart
Favorite Sports Team
i738vsr
Favorite Sports Team
5HahPWE
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
Favorite Sports Team
detroitpistons
D7-E3-FCF1-C042-4215-85-B3-3934-BE895-E70.jpg

Lou Thesz (c) vs Ray Gunkel for the NWA World Heavyweight Championship
Date: 05/30/1951
Stipulation: Two-Out-of-Three Falls Match
Time Limit: 90:00
Match Duration: 42:03
Other Matches on Card: Tommy Geohagen vs Duke Keomuka, Miguel Guzmán vs Art Nelson, and Mildred Burke (c) vs Mae Young for the NWA World Women’s Championship (Two-Out-of-Three Falls Match)
Source: WrestlingData.com
(Link: https://www.wrestlingdata.com/index.php?befehl=shows&show=390622)

Author’s Notes: The Announcer in the beginning says that the match actually happened at the Sportatorium in Dallas, Texas. Based on research all I could find on that date was the above information showing the San Antonio event. WrestlingData.com did show an event in Dallas but it was the night before.

The match starts with an even back and forth until Gunkel takes Thesz to the mat and starts working the right leg. Gunkel barely gives Thesz any room to breathe just all over him whether he was against the ropes or in the corner. Thesz uses some dirty tactics (smacking his elbow to Gunkel’s face to break a hold and throwing kidney shots) as a way to get Gunkel off of him. Gunkel pounces quickly and applies a side headlock getting Thesz back down to the mat with a quick hip toss keeping ahold of that headlock. Crowd seems to be split Fifty/Fifty on who they want to win.

Thesz gets a side headlock applied on Gunkel, wiggles his way free and applies a hammerlock in order to work his way up back to his feet. The crowd erupts as they break apart for a minute but Gunkel quickly gets control with a side headlock and gets Thesz back to the mat. Thesz gets him back up and to the corner then hits him with a kidney shot to break free. This happens a couple of times as a way for Thesz to get some space, referee warns him about it. Gunkel is quick to get him in a side headlock against the ropes, he teases the idea of hitting him in the head with a closed fist but breaks the hold clean.

But, Thesz quickly hits Gunkel with a shot to the throat, referee is quick to get into Thesz face about it. After some back and forth with submission holds, Gunkel fires up and gets the first fall after a series of body slams.
First Fall Winner: Ray Gunkel @ 22:15

Gunkel quick to take advantage again while Thesz is slowly moving around the ring. Gunkel takes him down again but Thesz gets back up. While on the ropes ref calls for Gunkel to break the hold which he does but then slaps Thesz in the face. Thesz is hot after Gunkel uses his own tactics against him, and argues his case with the referee. Referee pushes Thesz back reminding him that he is the official of the matchup.

Thesz draws back as if he’s going to hit the referee but the referee brushes him off and gives Gunkel a warning. Gunkel gets control once again and is really cranking on the side headlock. Thesz works his way back up to his knees then to his feet pushing Gunkel toward the ropes and applying the airplane spin on Gunkel. Gunkel shifts his weight making Thesz fall and pinning him to the mat. But, Thesz with great ring awareness quickly gets his feet on the ropes.

They get back up and Gunkel quickly applies another side headlock and takes Thesz back down to the mat. Gunkel seems to be getting winded cranking the side headlock on Thesz. Thesz tried to get back up but Gunkel forced him back down keeping that side headlock applied. Slowly Thesz works his way back up to his feet and pushes Gunkel to the ropes, Gunkel bounces back and Thesz takes him down with a rolling leg lock. Thesz begins to pull back on it which gives Gunkel the opening to reapply the side headlock.

Thesz breaks free quickly and rushes to the ropes for safety. Thesz takes the ten count near the limit to get back to his feet. Gunkel quickly applies the side headlock once again, Thesz slides out and pushes him into the corner hitting some body shots on Gunkel. Ref breaks it up and Thesz hits a couple of snap mares, on the last one he rolls through and Gunkel applies a body scissors onto Thesz. Gunkel then rolls over into Thesz and tries to pin him. Thesz has his shoulders up and is able to get his leg to the ropes making Gunkel to break the pin fall.

Thesz gets control quickly applying a side headlock and hitting Gunkel with a few closed fists in the corner. Thesz tosses Gunkel out of the corner with an undertook toss. Thesz then applies a front body lock onto Gunkel. Gunkel hits a back body drop, and Thesz bridges out of the pin, still holding onto that front body lock. Gunkel hits another back body drop which Thesz bridges back out again. Thesz gets the advantage while holding onto that front body lock then hits Gunkel with a big power bomb to win the second fall.
Second Fall Winner: Lou Thesz @ 36:25

Ray Gunkel gets looked at by the doctors really selling the impact of the slam on his head. The referee and some ring crew help carry Ray Gunkel to the back to be examined. After some time, the crowd erupts as Gunkel starts making his way back to the ring. Gunkel is holding on this his neck, the Commission Doctor makes his way into the ring with Gunkel. Gunkel begins to explain the pain he is feeling to the Doctor. The Ring Announced comes in and converses with the Doctor. After conversing he announces that the Commission Doctor has said that he will not allow Ray Gunkel to continue. Gunkel gets upset and begins arguing with the Commission Doctor pleading his case but to no avail the ruling stands. Lou Thesz wins the third fall by Doctor decision.
Third Fall Winner: Lou Thesz @ 41:00

My Thoughts: A really fun technical matchup, both utilizing great holds working certain body parts and showed great ring awareness. The crowd really started to get after Thesz when he would use those dirty tactics against Gunkel and seemed pretty upset when Gunkel wasn’t able to continue. Seeing this match really shows me how much I do miss selling in modern professional wrestling. Sometimes it’s okay to slow things down and allow moments to breathe adding some more psychology to the matches. Definitely would recommend checking this match out if you enjoy grappling and technical style matchups.

TLDR: Matchup was a great technical match. Gunkle won the first pin fall after mutiple body slams. Thesz won the second pin fall after a power bomb and also won the third pin fall after the Commission Doctor decided that Ray Gunkle could not go on.

Edited formatting.

Last edited:

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
:WOW Thesz is one of the few from there era I think I can say I'm genuinely entertained by and don't just appreciate watching for the history. He was very ahead of his time despite how outdated he obviously looks nowadays.

Veidt

ᴛᴏᴏ ꜱᴡᴇᴇᴛ ᴛᴏ ʙᴇ ꜱᴏᴜʀ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brianpillman
Favorite Wrestler
eddieguerrero2
Favorite Wrestler
machoman
Favorite Wrestler
mitsuharumisawa
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
owenhart
Favorite Sports Team
i738vsr
Favorite Sports Team
5HahPWE
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
Favorite Sports Team
detroitpistons
:WOW Thesz is one of the few from there era I think I can say I'm genuinely entertained by and don't just appreciate watching for the history. He was very ahead of his time despite how outdated he obviously looks nowadays.

Yeah, I definitely enjoyed his methodical approach to the matchup and all of their moves made sense. He also was showing the crowd how Gunkel was definitely an opponent he was worried about and using some of those dirty tactics to try to gain an advantage. Walking that thin line but still had the respect from the crowd and showed sportsmanship to his opponent at the end.

Kiffy Lube

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Fuck this a massive undertakin', I wish you all the luck in the world and I plan to keep followin' this thread.

Veidt

ᴛᴏᴏ ꜱᴡᴇᴇᴛ ᴛᴏ ʙᴇ ꜱᴏᴜʀ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brianpillman
Favorite Wrestler
eddieguerrero2
Favorite Wrestler
machoman
Favorite Wrestler
mitsuharumisawa
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
owenhart
Favorite Sports Team
i738vsr
Favorite Sports Team
5HahPWE
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
Favorite Sports Team
detroitpistons
5121-BB72-A3-F9-4087-A83-F-C277307-F84-E0.jpg

Duke Keomuka & Mr. Moto vs Killer Kowalski
Date: 04/29/1952
Stipulation: Two-Out-of-Three Falls Handicap Match
Time Limit: None
Match Duration: 23:40
Other Matches on Card: Abdullah Bey vs Rolando Vera, Juan Hernández vs Mike Paidousos, Ray Gunkel vs Great Scott, George Bollas vs Roy Graham
Source: WrestlingData.com
(Link: https://www.wrestlingdata.com/index.php?befehl=shows&show=163059)

Authors Notes: Killer Kowalski issued a previous challenge to both Keomuka & Moto, there were some contract disputes with that previous matchup. As a result, Kowalski lost that contest but quickly issued a rematch challenge to Keomuka & Moto. This is that rematch.

While the three men are in the ring going over the rules of the match with the Referee. George Bolas enters the ring and takes the mic to issue a challenge to Killer Kowalski. Kowalski does not pay any attention to Bolas while the Referee is talking to them. Bolas gets upset and attacks Kowalski from behind beating him down before the bell rings. Kowalski hits Bolas with a front side dropkick pushing Bolas onto the ring apron. He grabs Bolas by the hair and takes him to the corner and begins raking his face on the turnbuckle rod.

Kowalski gets back to his feet quickly as the Referee works on getting the challengers back to their corner. Kowalski focuses his attention back onto Bolas hitting him with some big overhand clubs to his chest. Kowalski begins to back off but Keomuka & Moto rush Kowalski and begin beating him down as Bolas enters the ring and we have a Three-on-One beat down on our hands. After a couple of minutes the Referee and Ringside Officials finally get Bolas out of the ring; and Keomuka & Moto to their corner.

Referee calls for the bell and Duke Keomuka is the first to get ahold of Kowalski. Coming in hot nailing some massive chops and palm thrusts to Kowalski’s throat and neck area. Gets Kowalski over to his corner and tags in Mr. Moto.

Moto begins hitting Kowalski with some open handed punches backing Kowalski to the rope. Once at the ropes, Kowalski begins to fight back with punches of his own. After a few shots he ends up knocking Moto down then rushes to the corner to take a shot at Keomuka knocking him off the apron. Kowalski then focuses back on Moto hitting a big dropkick and a big knee knocking Moto back down to the mat. Moto begins to cower and scoot himself back towards his corner while pleading with Kowalski. Kowalski stomps on his chest which gets Moto to get into position to tag Keomuka back in.

Keomuka begins to hit Kowalski with some shots getting Kowalski back down on his knees. Keomuka quickly gets Kowalski into a sleeper hold but Kowalski is quick to counter that by tossing him over. Keomuka begins to plead and back up to his corner, but Kowalski hits him with a big forearm sending him to his corner.

Keomuka tags Moto back in and ties up with Kowalski. They break the hold up and Kowalski hits him with a big forearm sending him back to the ropes. Moto begins to plead with Kowalski and Keomuka joins him in the ring doing the same thing. Kowalski hits both of them with a front side dropkick and fires up taunting at both of the men. Crowd is heavily behind Kowalski at this point.

Moto is the first to get up and slowly makes his way to Kowalski. Kowalski hits another forearm which stuns Moto who is standing on wobbly legs. Kowalski gets a hammerlock on Moto and then begins digging his fingers underneath the left shoulder blade of Moto. Kowalski keeps ahold of that until Moto is face down on the mat. Once face down, Kowalski begins stomping on the left shoulder of Moto. Kowalski then digs his fingers back into the shoulder blade and Keomuka is shown being stopped by the Referee trying to rush in and help his partner.

The Referee and Keomuka have quite the back and forth and finally the Referee gets Keomuka out of the ring. Referee is finally in position as Moto taps out to this hold. Kowalski takes a long time releasing the hold and once he does he continues the attack on Moto with some stomps and a jumping knee drop to the damaged shoulder. Mr. Moto makes it back to his feet and Kowalski reapplies that hold to the left shoulder blade. It takes awhile for the Referee to regain control and finally communicate to Kowalski that he in fact did win the first fall against Mr. Moto. Keomuka rushes to the aid of his partner but is met with a boot from Kowalski as he’s checking on Moto.
First Fall Winner: Killer Kowalski @ 10:11

After a brief intermission, Kowalski and Keomuka are starting us off. Kowalski gets the advantage and hits an arm drag on Keomuka, Keomuka rolls through and takes Kowalski’s back applying a choke hold. Kowalski fosses his to the mat again keeping ahold of that left arm. They get to their feet and Kowalski applies a hammerlock and looks as if he’s looking to apply that shoulder submission to Keomuka. Keomuka breaks the hold quickly and backs off to the ropes.

The Commentator explains that after the intermission, Mr. Moto hasn’t shown up to the ring apron yet and that it’s probable that he will not be back for the match. Keomuka and Kowalski tie up with Kowalski getting the advantage and tossing Keomuka to the mat. Keomuka is back up quickly and ties back up with Kowalski. Kowalski gets him back down to the mat and in a pinning predicament. Keomuka does a great job of keeping his shoulders off the mat and gets Kowalski off of him and they’re back to their feet.

Kowalski grabs a handful of hair and then hits Keomuka with a heavy punch knocking him to the ropes. Kowalski begins to walk towards Keomuka, Kowalski grabs his eyes and begins to signal to the Referee that he’s been blinded. Referee gets Kowalski to a corner and gets Ringside Officials to check on him. Keomuka makes his way toward Kowalski but is stopped and pushed back by the Referee as he calls for the bell.

The Commentator announces that a Spectator has thrown something and hit Kowalski in the right eye. Kowalski still holding his eye is showing some bleeding and is going to need to be checked out by the Commission Doctor. After being checked out the Doctor states that Kowalski can continue.

Keomuka and Kowalski quickly tie back up and begin where they left off. Keomuka pushes Kowalski back to the ropes and gets the upper hand nailing some palm thrusts to the right eye of Kowalski attacking that wound. Keomuka continues the assault until, Kowalski gets to his knee and applies a body lock. Kowalski then lifts Keomuka into a bear hug and rushes him back first into the turnbuckles. Keomuka falls down to the mat and Kowalski takes this time to rest and recover.

Kowalski brings Keomuka to his feet and levels him with a forearm to the neck, pushing Keomuka back to the corner. Kowalski hits him with another forearm, pulls Keomuka out of the corner and hits him with a big knee to the chest. Kowalski begins to get the momentum back in his favor hitting him with a snap mare. Keomuka halts that momentum and takes Kowalski down, climbing on top of him and begins raining down palm thrusts. Kowalski pushes Keomuka back and uses his momentum to put him in a cross body scissors. Kowalski tries to roll him over for a pin a couple of times but Keomuka is able to keep his shoulders up.

After sometime Keomuka is able to break the hold successfully and turns it into a leg lock. He releases the hold as Kowalski turns over he begins nailing Kowalski with palm thrusts and judo chops to the chest and neck area. They get back to their feet as Keomuka continues hitting Kowalski with shots to the neck and chest. Finally Kowalski has had enough and hits Keomuka with a couple of punches to the body. After some back and forth Kowalski hits back down to the mat with a big forearm.

While Keomuka is on the mat Kowalski jumps up and hits a big knee drop onto Keomuka. Kowalski picks him up and body slams him to the mat but is unable to get the pin due to the shoulders not being down on the mat. Keomuka rolls through and tries to pin Kowalski but Kowalski gets his long limbs on the rope breaking the pin. Keomuka then hits some cheap shots which fires up Kowalski and he gets up and tosses him to the mat Three times unable to get the pin fall after each toss.

Kowalski gets him up and hits him with a couple of major forearms dazing Keomuka. After some more back and forth, Kowalski gets the upper hand hitting Keomuka with a couple of frontside drop kicks. Kowalski goes for a third but Keomuka just steps out of the way causing Kowalski to miss. Keomuka is quick to start hitting Kowalski with chops as he’s laid out on the canvas. All of a sudden a large man in plain clothes runs in and hits Kowalski with a big splash. After hitting a couple of more splashes, the Commentator identifies the man as being George Bolas. The referee calls for the bell to stop the match, disqualifies Keomuka and announces Killer Kowalski as the winner of the second and final fall.
Second Fall Winner: Killer Kowalski @ 23:20

My Thoughts: This match has more striking and brawling to it. It’s a fun match to watch with each individual getting a lot of offense in. Just an overall very good brawl from beginning to end.

TLDR: Solid fight from beginning to end. Killer Kowalski wins the First Fall via Submission. Then goes onto win the Second Fall via DQ due to Interference.

EDIT: Formatting is hard on mobile lol.

Last edited: