Has Michael Cole been right this whole time?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

...god...

Reaction score
the genius behavior was present on NXT, yeah, as well as SD a little. He also has done loads to put over Miz and Danielson among others.

Axis

Reaction score
Airflixx brought up the point I was going to make. I've been watching some mid-90's WCW lately, and listening to somebody as genius as Bobby Heenan just reveals how poor Michael Cole is. I do think he's better now than he has been before (though his work with Tazz on Smackdown was not always bad), but that doesn't necessarily make him good, and it certainly doesn't make his work genius.

Reaction score
All I'm going to say about Cole is that he is far more enjoyable now as he has ever been. It's not fair to compare Cole to Heenan in the 90's. Cole's been a heel for what, 6 weeks? Heenan had perfected his heel schtick for 20 years at that point. Of course Cole will look poor compared to the best heel color guy ever. Face commentators just can't turn heel, it didn't work for JR and he's the greatest commentator since Gordon Solie and when it failed they pulled the carpet from under his feet. It's also why Lawler sucks fat dick as a face, in his prime he was one of the best heel commentators, ever. But people don't give two shits about Cole, maybe that's why he's given some time to get it down and he's not that bad. He's definitely better at it than as a face.

Axis

Reaction score
That's completely fine, but then that doesn't mean that Michael Cole is genius. He's good, and I think that both Airflixx and I have said that. He's just overrated right now, being heralded as one of the best of all time. Like you said, it's a new spiel, so maybe in time he will be. But right now, it's not that time.

MizMasta3000

Reaction score
By all means, he is far from a genius. I still think he's corny, cheesy and tries too hard at times. However, you have to respect him from going from nothing 10 years ago to a character that may be acquiring some kind of relevance finally. His work ethic has been consistent no matter the quality of it and really he deserves this chance to be something bigger.

Lady Redfield

Itchy tasty
Reaction score
Airflixx brought up the point I was going to make. I've been watching some mid-90's WCW lately, and listening to somebody as genius as Bobby Heenan just reveals how poor Michael Cole is. I do think he's better now than he has been before (though his work with Tazz on Smackdown was not always bad), but that doesn't necessarily make him good, and it certainly doesn't make his work genius.

Bobby Heenan is a god, it's really unfair to put him up against Cole because of course he will be the better man.

From the amount of hate that Cole gets, I would say he is doing a mighty fine job of being a heel, tbh.

Airfixx

Reaction score
^^^He already had most of that hate as a face tho' (at least from the IWC)...

You are right in saying that it is a touch unfair to compare him to one of the best mic men of all time (then again you best be a damn good mic man cos generally it's a pure speaking role), but check my list again.... He pales in comparrison to EVERYONE that came before (aside from maybe Mooney).

My point wasn't to compare him to an individual, but to the general quality I've come to expect from watching WWF/E for much of the last 25 years.