Greatest Wrestling Match Of 1990 - The Countdown

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Crocker

Reaction score
4 NWA United States Tag Tram Championship
The Midnight Express(c) vs The Southern Boys
NWA The Great American Bash
July 7th
79 Points
Jacob Fox(4), Apoho Creed(5), GARBAGE(6), Hoss(15), Crocker(21)

Reactions: Hoss

GARBAGE

Reaction score
I think I messed up a lil because I could have sworn I had that and my #5 (Kandori vs. Harley) swapped around. If it wasn't a mess up then I do wish I had MX/Southern Boys at #5 instead of 6 anyway.

Hoss

HELL IS NOT A MYTH
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
4 NWA United States Tag Tram Championship
The Midnight Express(c) vs The Southern Boys
July 7th
79 Points
Jacob Fox(4), Apoho Creed(5), GARBAGE(6), Hoss(15), Crocker(21)

Definitely one of those matches that stands out due to how phenomenal it is and how otherwise sparse the rest of Smothers and Armstrong's careers were, for the most part. Ending 4th on this list against some extremely stiff competition is nothing to sneeze at.

Crocker

Reaction score
3 Jumbo Tsuruta vs Mitsuharu Misawa
AJPW Super Power Series
June 8th
87 Points
Hoss(1), Apoho Creed(3), Crocker(6), Jacob Fox(7)

GARBAGE

Reaction score
Yeahhhh I didn't vote for that either. It's very good, at times great, at some points outstanding, but sort of similar to Warrior/Hogan, I thought its main strengths were the beginning and the end, while the middle sort of meandered a bit. The tag matches they had from May to December all felt more heated and intense to me (esp 10/19/90 which to me is actually one of the greatest matches of all time), and I'm one of those that's just always preferred the September singles match. I would have 6/8/90 top 50 for the year and that's nothing to sneeze at considering it's a year with quite a few excellent matches - with several from All Japan alone - but for 25 I felt more strongly about everything else I picked (as well as some matches that didn't make the cut like Toyota vs. Hotta and Tenryu vs. Takano). I obviously have no problem with it finishing high though and naturally I expected it to.

Actually, this is wild timing, but for what is I think the first time ever, the Hansen vs. Gordy triple crown match from that exavt show has been found in complete form recently. I wish I'd known before I submitted a list so I could have checked it out, shame~

I feel like I'm stoopid but I still actually cannot figure out what is going to be one of the last two matches. I kinda wanna check some sources like cagematch to figure it out but I also just wanna be surprised when it shows up. Either that or it is something from my list and I'm just not expecting everyone else to have it really high.

Crocker

Reaction score
2 NWA World Heavyweight Championship
Ric Flair(c) vs Sting
July 7th
88 Points
Jacob Fox(1), Apoho Creed(2), Hoss(5), Crocker(8)

Hoss

HELL IS NOT A MYTH
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
The parallels between Flair/Sting and Hogan/Warrior are really fun. I don't know if I'm just a mark, but I think Flair/Sting is easily the better match, and I'm glad to see it finish at second place. Frankly satisfied that I tanked Hogan/Warrior down to the fifth spot. :lol

Hoss

HELL IS NOT A MYTH
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Wow a real dark horse winner but a deserving one nonetheless. Sick.

Thanks for running this Crocker, I'm having a great time digging into the crates and really taking in some of these classic matches for the first time.

Reactions: Crocker

GARBAGE

Reaction score
A worthy number 1. It was actually my own #1 for a while but the more I watched the more it got toppled. Actually it's the only match in my top 10 from before June, so I guess 1990 is a back-heavy year for me.