Greatest QB Ever

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

NYKings

Reaction score
Inspired by phantomgerald's statement that Brett Farve is the greatest QB ever. Basically post who you think is the best ever and why? There are many great names to choose from

Brett Farve
Dan Marino
Joe Montana
John Elway
Fran Tarkenton
Johnny Unitas

and if you want to go with people still playing well there's Tom Brady and Peyton Manning.

I think that I'd have to go with Marino as being the best ever at this moment. Five or six years from now I'd probably change my answer to Peyton Manning (barring injury). Marino always seemed to do more with less and I believe judging ONE player by how many rings they have, even at the QB position, is overrated.

Brady, Montana, Elway, and Farve all have rings but that's because they played for great teams. The receiving core for Montana, the defense for Brady, the all around offense for Elway. Without those components the team isn't capable of winning rings even though they all have great QBs.

Now I know it's not the player's fault management is doing a good or bad job surrounding them with weapons but that's the truth of the matter. Marino is basically better than all of them.

For the same reason I put Manning over Brady five or six years from now (once again, barring injury). Manning is all around a better player. Brady's having an amazing year and he's got three rings (could be four by January) but Manning has done so much more at the position and probably is the smartest QB in the game.

May add more later but that's all for now. And no disrespect to any of the other QBs I named. All of them are talented in their own way and I'm sure we'll get some Farve lovers, Elway lovers, or Brady lovers to comment.

PeepShow

Joe Montana. Hands down.

If Brady keeps up whats he's doing and wins a few more SB's we may have a different discussion. Here's how I rank my top 5:

1. Joe Montana
2. Dan Marino
3. Brett Favre
4. Tom Brady
5. John Elway

HM: Troy Aikman, Johnny U, and Steve Young.

I may have left off a few. O well. Im tried. What can I say.

Enigma22

Reaction score
i gotta go with joe montana

1. Joe Montana- just the best ever
2. Brett Farve- hes been a great leader for years and hes still going great
3. Dan Marino
4. John Elway
5. Peyton Manning- could possible be the best ever eventually if he doesnt get injured and if he keeps on track (which i think he will).

and ya i can think of a few others but i dont feel like doing any more

PeepShow

^Good choices, but I honestly dont see how you can even think about putting Manning ahead of Brady. But then again, thats just my opinion.

MJ807

Reaction score
Nobody has Joe Namath anywhere?????

1. Joe Montana
2. Dan Marino
3. Joe Namath
4. Brett Favre
5. John Elway

circle

Reaction score
This tough... I mean statistically Favre is up with Marino, but Favre has won the SB ring.

Here is mine

1. John Elway - For some reason living in CO for a long time has swayed me.
2. Brett Farve - Clearly to me he makes the game fun and its a big reason why I watch football is too watch Brett
3. Peyton Manning - I was high on him at Tennessee, been big on him at the NFL, and when he finally won a ring last year it put him here.
4. Joe Montana - Now I didn't know much about Joe back then b/c I wasn't a football fan...too young, but he was awesome in the 80's
5. Tom Brady - Michigan guy so I have to put him here. Plus he has 3 SB and has done it with less talent, but if he wins the big one this year he jumps up to 3.

I don't see Marino in my top 5 b/c he was more of a stats guy to me just like Warren Moon, and Jim Kelly

phantomgerald

I'll defend why I say Favre is the best. marino could have set all the passing records, but he retired early, so we would never know if he had what it took to take the beating on his body for so many years like Favre. Elway had the supporting cast that Favre never had for that long, and Montana well he never had to face defenses like Favre did.

MJ807

Reaction score
Marino retired in '99 he was 39 when he retired 16 years into his NFL Career. Brett Favre is in his 16th year so I don't know how Marino retired early to be honest.

PeepShow

Montana never faced the defenses that Favre has? Can you give examples?

Wordlife

ok simple as this:

1. Montana
2. Brady
3. Marino
4. Favre
5. Elway or Steve Young

NYKings

Reaction score
Brady is overrated in this discussion. All these Pats fans say that Brady would surpass Manning had he had these receivers all through his career BUT he wouldn't have three rings without that defense. His regular season numbers coming into this year were nothing special. That defense made Brady a multi time Super Bowl winner.

That's just my two cents on Brady though.

Enigma22

Reaction score
^Good choices, but I honestly dont see how you can even think about putting Manning ahead of Brady. But then again, thats just my opinion.

eh i just dont really like brady. hes good but Manning is great. brady is probably 6th or 7th on my list tho