Greatest Finish ever?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

straight_edge76

Reaction score
I dont know how many of you guys watched the WEC card last night. But if you hadn't I'm sure you have seen, or atleast heard of the insane finish to the WEC lightweight title fight by Anthony Pettis. So this brings up the question, do you think that is the greatest finish to a MMA fight ever? If not what it is? Please discuss.

pumpt73

Reaction score
For me personally, you have to go back to UFC Fight Night 2. Josh Koscheck vs. Drew Fickett. Koscheck is totally dominating Fickett for 14minutes and 20 seconds. We're talking there is no question Koscheck is going to win this fight. Even Cecil Peoples couldn't screw this up. Then with about 40 seconds left, the ref stands the fighters up due to inactivity. Fickett catches Koscheck and stuns him, then sinks in a deep RNC and puts Koscheck to sleep. No tap, straight to dreamland at the 4:38 mark in the 3rd round. To me this is my all time favorite finish and comeback victory because Kos was unbeaten up to that point and afterwards learned to finally be humble.

Another one is Scott Smith scoring a KO of Pete Sell at the TUF 4 Finale. Sell had Smith rocked and down on his knees when he charges in and gets nailed by a bodyshot that ends the fight. To this day, two of my favorites.

And one final is Gegard Mousasi's KO of Ronaldo "Jacare" Souza at DREAM 6 in the Middleweight GP Finals when he KO's Souza with an Upkick to the jaw. Beautiful.

ThomC

Reaction score
Pumpt posted some solid picks for greatest finish ever. However, as of right now off the top of my head, last night's Pettis off the cage fly kick was the sickest KO I've seen. It was just so ridiculous that he used the cage like some action movie fight scene, that I have to have that be the number one finish for now. Scott Smith's KO of Pete Sell would be a close second, very close second. That punch came out of no where. I remember jumping off the couch in excitement/amazement.

Reaction score
One thing, though. Pettis didn't finish the fight. The flying kick of death put "Smooth" on cloud nine for sure, but he survived and the fight went to a decision.

My favorite finish, though, will probably have to go to Jose Aldo vs. Cub Swanson. That double flying knee was nothing short of a work of art.

ThomC

Reaction score
Tombstone makes a great point about how Pettis' kick didn't actaully finish the fight. It may not be the best finish, but it's gotta be the craziest thing scene in the cage.

Another great finish was Gray Maynard vs Rob Emerson from the TUF 5 Finale. Maynard went for a slam on Emerson but pretty much got himself DDT'd. Fight ended in a no contest due to both fighters being out.

Spencer Fisher's flying knee on Matt Wiman was all sorts of awesome too.

NinoBrown

Reaction score
Stevenson vs Danzig, that punch was perfect.

But that Pettis/Henderson fight has to be seen from start to finish, it was way more entertaining than GSP pounding Kosheck's eye to look like a beat up pum pum. Pettis was Henderson's backpack for two good rounds and that kick just made Pettis a name to non-WEC fans.

Has any of Jon Jones fights ended with a spinning elbow? Only one I can think of is his fight against Hamill where he got DQ'ed.

straight_edge76

Reaction score
That fight really did make me a Pettis fan. I always respected him but never really considered myself a fan of his. But that fight was to him what the Anderson Silva fight did for me with Chael Soennen (sp?) he really impressed me and I really want to see him in the UFC.@the GSP comment, every GSP fight is a snoozefest lol.

pumpt73

Reaction score
Speaking of spinning back fist Nino, I think Matt Serra vs. Shonie Carter has to rank up there. Serra was dominating the fight until Carter caught Serra late in the third round to finish the fight off.

phantomgerald

Reaction score
Scott Smith against Drago Sell when both guys got knocked out was pretty special too.

pumpt73

Reaction score
I can't beleive nobody has brought up Matt Hughes' finish of Carlos Newton to win his first UFC 170lb title. Newton had secured a deep Triangle Choke and Hughes picks him up with it locked in, Hughes actually went out for a moment then slammed Newton into the mat, KOing him. Hughes didn't even realize he had won. And who can forget Quinton Jackson's KO of Ricardo Arona with a monster slam at PRIDE Critical Countdown 2004??

Reaction score
Those were both awesome finishes. "Rampage" has said before that when he gets angry in a fight, it's like he has unlimited strength. Unfortunately for Ricardo Arona, he found that out first hand.

How about UFC 108 when Paul Daley knocked out Dustin Hazelett with a flush left hook? That was a perfectly timed punch.

Speaking of Dustin Hazelett, his armbar of Josh Burkman was nothing short of amazing.

pumpt73

Reaction score
Good call TC. As much as I can't stand the guy, Rashad Evans' brutal KO finish of Sean Salmon was outstanding. One of the most brutal KO's I've seen in the UFC. Salmon was already out on the way to the canvas and then his head rattled off the mat something fierce. Another is Frank Mir when he won his first UFC Championship. He sinks in an armbar on Tim Sylvia and you can clearly see both the Ulna and Radius (the 2 bones in the forearm) snap. Im gonna go old school on you guys as well. UFC 17. Mark Coleman vs. Pete Williams. Cole was coming off losing his title to Maurce Smith and the upstart Williams nails Coleman with a head kick straight to his face with a wrestling shoe on. The look on Coleman's face after it lands is priceless. Hell, now I gotta combine the last 2. Frank Mir vs. Pete Williams at UFC 36. Mir sinks in one of the nastiest shoulder locks you will ever see. I swear Mir was an absolute animal when he first burst onto the scene. I wanna see that guy come back.

Reaction score
You could also look at any of the KO's from the last Strikeforce card.

Lindland vs. Lawler
Silva vs. Kyle
Daley vs. Smith
Hendo vs. "Babalu"