Gimmick Changes

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

newmie

Reaction score
Over the course of professional wrestling there have been many outlandish gimmicks, and many gimmick changes. And I would like to propose the question, would the gimmicks have gotten over without the previous gimmick?

A perfect example of this is the Undertaker. He got over huge as the Deadman, the Phenom.. And then he had a massive gimmick change to the American Badass. Now I don't think I know anyone who doesn't like the American Badass gimmick, but do you think it would have gotten over without The Undertakers' previous gimmick (and present gimmick)? First off his name probably wouldn't be the Undertaker, and yeah, I dunno pretty much he would be Chuck Palumbo, coming out on a cycle, and brawling.

Another is Chris Jericho, not so much a gimmick change as much as it was a character change, he has gone from being an egocentric cocky heel, to a guy who hates the world.

More examples: - From Bradshaw to JBL, if he had come in straight as JBL rather than Bradshaw would he have gotten over as much?

- From Spanky to The Brian Kendrick, would he be over? (or would he be more over as Spanky?)

- From the Hurricane to Gregory Helms. I think they almost proved that Helms didn't get over until the Hurricane gimmick (when WCW was purchased, he wasn't over with WWE fans)

-From Johnny Nitro to John Morrison...

These plus many more are some gimmick changes, and yeah, just wanted everyones thoughts on if their current gimmicks (or takers case his 2 gimmick) would have gotten over without their previous ones?

Wrestling Station

In general, the start and build up of any wrestler is the key for his success and his future in the business. If the wrestling business gave him a strong start, then he will eventually become a huge star in less than 5 years. Examples are Cena, Taker, Batista, The Rock, Hogan, Ric Flair, etc..

Yes, some wrestlers didnt start that strong in their career and after a longer period than those guys I've mentioned above, but it was really a 50/50 effort from the wrestlers and from the business to push them up the ranks. Examples: Bret Hart, Chris Benoit, Edge, Christian (did I just put canadian wrestlers here?!) hmm.

Anyway, imo its not just the first gimmick that would play the role for the wrestler to be over; its the storyline that he gets involved with plus the way the wrestler interacts with the crowd. Gimmick comes third imo.

So to answer the question; the first gimmick does play a role but its not the main role imo.(and a huge example for this is Kane).