Georges St. Pierre Discusses UFC 129 Eye Injury

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

WrestlingSmarks News

Reaction score
2505du1_large.jpg
UFC welterweight champion Georges St. Pierre has been the subject of much discussion and ridicule since his UFC 129 decision win over Jake Shields. Fans and media alike have been harsh in their criticism, but one of the major game-changers in the fight was Shields inadvertently poking GSP in the eye in the third round. GSP came back to his corner and said he couldn't see out of his eye, and had considerable trouble finding his range for the rest of the fight.

There has been much speculation about the severity of his injury since the fight, so St. Pierre turned to twitter today to give his fans an update on his condition:

I am so lucky my BJJ instructor Bruno Fernandes is an ophtamologist!!! I'll be in good hands!!!

My medical condition is called Hyphema. My vision is still blurry and my eye sensitive but the blood in my eye has now been absorbed...

My retina is find as well and my vision will come back to 100%!!! Can't be more happy!!

According to the all-knowing Wikipedia:

Hyphema is blood in the front (anterior) chamber of the eye. It may appear as a reddish tinge, or it may appear as a small pool of blood at the bottom of the iris or in the cornea.

Treatment of hyphema consists of 4 major tenets:

1. Light activity or even bedrest (to prevent a rebleed into the anterior chamber, which may cause obstruction of vision, or a painful rise in pressure)

2. Elevation of the head of the bed by approximately 45 degrees (so that the hyphema can settle out inferiorly and avoid obstruction of vision, as well as to facilitate resolution)

3. Wearing of an eye shield at night time (to prevent accidental rubbing of the eyes during sleep, which can precipitate a rebleed)

4. Avoidance of pain medications such as aspirin or ibuprofen (which thin the blood and increase the risk of a rebleed - instead, acetaminophen can be used for pain control).

The vast majority of hyphemas resolve on their own without complication.

Some cases of non-resolving hyphemas, or hyphemas that are associated with high pressure, may require surgery to clean out the anterior chamber and prevent corneal blood staining.

He stated that the blood has already been absorbed, so it would appear that there will be no complications and he will be just fine. Now we can get onto bigger questions - does he face Nick Diaz next? Anderson Silva? Someone else?