General F1 Discussion Thread

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Apoho Creed

I'm the Doctor
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
OZO8olA
Favorite Wrestler
Y2tTaaf
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Favorite Wrestler
m4aw1gh
Favorite Wrestler
oLvrzSU
Favorite Sports Team
hPPsgSL
Favorite Sports Team
hlbgCD9
Favorite Sports Team
guuKKYL
Favorite Sports Team
Um6oxIS

What a finish and Verstappen owes Half of that World Championship to teammate Perez today with his work with Hamilton. I can't wait to watch the newest Season of Drive to Survive with all that happened this Season.

Moon Bird

Reaction score
Website
abandonedmemories.tumblr.com
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
Hook1
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
Hook1
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
Hook1
Best years for Formula 1 for me were the early 90s. I had a family member who worked for Williams-Renault and was lucky enough to get to go to both Silverstone and Monaco and get some special treatment. I don't remember too much since I was only 6 or 7 but I do remember getting to walk the tunnel at Monaco pre-race. Also got to meet Nigel Masnell and Frank Williams. I don't remember either sadly though there does exist a picture of a young me somewhere next to the greatest 'tache in the history of motor racing...

I saw the other series of Drive To Survive and loved them so I'll be watching the new one for sure. I don't follow F1 these days but it's a nice way for a casual fan to keep up with the happenings.

Reactions: Apoho Creed

Doom

La Bestia
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
8XDaHk1
Favorite Wrestler
kane
Favorite Wrestler
LDuO6dG
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
D6czv1V
Favorite Wrestler
doink
Favorite Sports Team
ZHIAHN6
Favorite Sports Team
WrE8t1L
Favorite Sports Team
cJttyo5
Favorite Sports Team
Brad6
We are almost a month away before the start of the start of the 2022 Formula 1 season.

Here's some of the latest news:

Michael Masi removed as F1 race director after Abu Dhabi investigation​

ESPN

Michael Masi has been removed from his position as F1 race director after the investigation into his handling of the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix in December.

Masi botched the finish of the title decider between Max Verstappen and Lewis Hamilton last year. The race was settled by a one-lap sprint, which saw Verstappen pass Hamilton to win the title after the safety car restart rules were incorrectly applied by Masi.

Masi created that last-lap showdown when he only let a certain amount of lapped cars overtake Hamilton, moving Verstappen right up behind him on brand new tyres, before restarting the race one lap before the regulations said he was supposed to in that situation.

On Thursday, new FIA president Mohammed ben Sulayem confirmed that Masi had been removed from the position and replaced by an overhauled system of controlling and officiating F1 races.

The decision is effectively an admission by the FIA that the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix should not have been restarted in the way it was.

Hamilton is set to speak to the media for the first time since Abu Dhabi on Friday, at the launch of Mercedes' 2022 car, and his feelings on Masi's departure will likely be a focal point of the questions he receives.

The role of race director will be filled by two alternating people. Niels Wittich, current DTM race director, and Eduardo Freitas, current race director of the World Endurance Championship, will take turns in filling the role.

They will both be assisted by Herbie Blash, 73, who used to work in a similar role under former race director Charlie Whiting but retired in 2016. Masi stepped in to replace Whiting after his sudden death on the eve of the 2019 season opener.

One contentious point with Masi's handling of the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix was how he appeared overwhelmed and inundated with messages from Mercedes and Red Bull. The FIA has confirmed that teams will no longer be able to send messages directly to the race director, which will now presumably be handled by Blash in his new role.

They will be assisted by a virtual race control room the FIA has likened to the controversial Virtual Assistant Referee (VAR) system in football. This will be located outside the F1 circuit and will work in real-time connection with the F1 race director to apply the sporting regulations "using the most modern technological tools".

The timing of the announcement was curious, as it came moments after Ferrari, the sport's most popular team, had launched its new F1 car for the 2022 season.

Several drivers had voiced their support of Masi before the FIA's decision was made public.

Last week at the launch of Aston Martin's new car four-time world champion Sebastian Vettel said he felt Masi should keep his job and should not be judged on the basis of one decision. McLaren's Daniel Ricciardo said he felt Masi should keep his job, but added that his fellow Australian probably needed help in the role to do it properly.

That was piss-poor by Masi, to tamper with the Hamilton-Verstappen finish on the final lap.

Nicholas Latifi hired bodyguards after Abu Dhabi death threats​

ESPN

Williams driver Nicholas Latifi was so worried about the death threats he received after the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix he hired bodyguards to protect him and his girlfriend.

Latifi's crash in the closing stages of the Abu Dhabi title decider brought out the safety car which ultimately cost Lewis Hamilton the championship, as it allowed Max Verstappen to pass him on the final lap when the restart procedure was incorrectly applied.

In the days which followed that race, Latifi posted on social media to reveal the abuse he had received from fans afterwards.

The Canadian driver said he had no choice but to take the threats seriously and had to employ security to keep himself and his loved ones safe in the weeks which followed.

"I think it sounds silly to some people but at the end of the day you don't know how serious people are," Latifi said on Tuesday.

"All it could take is one drunk fan at an airport or bumping into someone who's having a bad day and is intoxicated or under the influence of something and has these really extreme opinions. All it takes is that one in a million person.

"I was back in London after the race and I did have some security with me when I was doing certain things.

"I went to the Winter Wonderland with my girlfriend because we didn't manage to fit that in before the last block of races and I had some security detail with me on that.

"Again, it sounds funny, sounds silly, but we really did take the threats seriously because you don't really know what could happen. Just an unfortunate part of the world we live in."

In the same media session, Latifi said Hamilton reached out to him in the days after the Abu Dhabi race with a message of support, although he did not elaborate what the seven-time world champion had said.

In TV interviews immediately afterwards, Latifi apologised for crashing and Red Bull boss Christian Horner joked he owed the Williams driver a lifetime supply of the company's energy drinks, but there was never any serious suggestion from anyone inside the F1 paddock that Latifi had crashed intentionally.

Latifi said he felt it was important to make his abuse public.

"There's people that unfortunately maybe don't deal with [anger] so well for whatever reason and it can have extremely serious consequences.

"That's why I thought it was important to spread this message of 'be kind.' People who do these messages and write these messages are probably not the ones that it's going to... they're probably not going to change.

"The fact people feel the need to do so, that's a whole separate issue really. But I felt writing this message was important and something I wanted to take a stand for."

Latifi said the ordeal has prompted him to research mental health matters in the two months since the race. He plans to do different things through the year to raise awareness around online abuse.

"Maybe in previous years it was a topic a lot of people didn't want to talk about but it is one of the most important things in modern times.

"I think it is important to be open to talk about these certain things. I know Lando [Norris] is one of the outspoken drivers about it and I think everyone who is a driver, teams, organisations as a whole, I think it's something that maybe can be pushed a little bit more."

Yikes! With all the craziness in the world, I can't blame Matifi to be as secured around him as possible, because death threats is serious shit and it should not be tolerated.

Reactions: Marty McFourth

CakeWalker

Fancy a slice?
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
TigerMask1
Favorite Wrestler
AZs1Z5p
Favorite Wrestler
E3RY3ej
Favorite Sports Team
2fIlV8l
Favorite Sports Team
Stewart52
Favorite Sports Team
Brad6
Favorite Sports Team
OH6F0Jl
FIA changed their mind on Masi decision it seems and made him the scapegoat.

Apoho Creed

I'm the Doctor
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
OZO8olA
Favorite Wrestler
Y2tTaaf
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Favorite Wrestler
m4aw1gh
Favorite Wrestler
oLvrzSU
Favorite Sports Team
hPPsgSL
Favorite Sports Team
hlbgCD9
Favorite Sports Team
guuKKYL
Favorite Sports Team
Um6oxIS
Wow the start of the Season already it feels like the last Season just finished up but that is what happens when time flies. Last Season was one of the most enjoyable ones since I started watching Formula 1 every Race was so intense and I'm happy the Young Gun Max Verstappen winning the F1 Championship. If were a Month away when is Drive to Survive coming Netflix.

Reactions: Doom

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers

Marty McFourth

Trying to figure out this life thing, what about you
Reaction score
They dropped a teaser for Drive to Survive S4

Apoho Creed

I'm the Doctor
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
OZO8olA
Favorite Wrestler
Y2tTaaf
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Favorite Wrestler
m4aw1gh
Favorite Wrestler
oLvrzSU
Favorite Sports Team
hPPsgSL
Favorite Sports Team
hlbgCD9
Favorite Sports Team
guuKKYL
Favorite Sports Team
Um6oxIS
HELL YEAH! :mark:

I wondering when they would drop a Trailer now I've got a date to prepare for. Season 4 is going to be great!

Reactions: Marty McFourth

Marty McFourth

Trying to figure out this life thing, what about you
Reaction score
I've heard the 2021 season had plenty of drama, so I'm very intrigued to check this out. It's one of the best produced series they got on there at the moment. I don't even follow F1 all that closely compared to like other motorsports at the moment, but like I love watching this series a lot.

Reactions: Apoho Creed

RDK

All glory to God
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wadebarrett
Favorite Sports Team
eZIPN8K
I won't be watching that. F1 is fixed as far as I'm concerned. There is no coming back from the fixed race at the end of last season, a permanent ugly stain on a once great sport

Apoho Creed

I'm the Doctor
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
OZO8olA
Favorite Wrestler
Y2tTaaf
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Favorite Wrestler
m4aw1gh
Favorite Wrestler
oLvrzSU
Favorite Sports Team
hPPsgSL
Favorite Sports Team
hlbgCD9
Favorite Sports Team
guuKKYL
Favorite Sports Team
Um6oxIS
I'll be working Friday but clearly my Weekend is busy with me watching The Batman and getting this in.

Doom

La Bestia
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
8XDaHk1
Favorite Wrestler
kane
Favorite Wrestler
LDuO6dG
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
D6czv1V
Favorite Wrestler
doink
Favorite Sports Team
ZHIAHN6
Favorite Sports Team
WrE8t1L
Favorite Sports Team
cJttyo5
Favorite Sports Team
Brad6
Nobody's gonna overtake Leclerc with a 5 second lead to Verstappen with 4 laps left.

Last edited: