General AEW Thread

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

BSE

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
kurtangle
Favorite Wrestler
shawnmichaels
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Favorite Sports Team
nnLKsfY
Favorite Sports Team
ZHIAHN6
Awesome segment between MJF and Adam Cole. One of the best promo segments in all of wrestling this year.

Canadian Dragon

The Ace of WS
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
9Cf16sP
Favorite Wrestler
v9xmgrN
Favorite Wrestler
f0aLDLP
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
n3x5509maz4b1.jpg

Roy Mustang

Reaction score
Awesome segment between MJF and Adam Cole. One of the best promo segments in all of wrestling this year.

Starting to think I am one of the only ones who hated it especially the copying of the NXT promo lol

Canadian Dragon

The Ace of WS
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
9Cf16sP
Favorite Wrestler
v9xmgrN
Favorite Wrestler
f0aLDLP
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
I thought mjf was 6/10 n cole was a 9.5/10

Canadian Dragon

The Ace of WS
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
9Cf16sP
Favorite Wrestler
v9xmgrN
Favorite Wrestler
f0aLDLP
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
I also think that was by design, n the segment did the highest rating all ep

Canadian Dragon

The Ace of WS
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
9Cf16sP
Favorite Wrestler
v9xmgrN
Favorite Wrestler
f0aLDLP
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
I'm not a fan of putting over Vince McMahon regardless of how meta it is, I will say that

BSE

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
kurtangle
Favorite Wrestler
shawnmichaels
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Favorite Sports Team
nnLKsfY
Favorite Sports Team
ZHIAHN6
Starting to think I am one of the only ones who hated it especially the copying of the NXT promo lol
I loved it for a couple of reasons.

1 - MJF didn't just totally trash Adam Cole. MJF talked about how great Cole was and how MJF studied Cole's matches. MJF called Cole the greatest NXT champion ever and Shawn Michaels hand picked guy. As a rough estimate, I'd say around 50% of MJF's promo about Cole was positive. That's a refreshing change from years of WWE heels completely belittling their opponents and always talking down to them (Stephanie was one of the main culprits)

2 - The WWE references were refreshing and effective heel work. This is likely where opinions will vary. I tend to like anything that's different. After watching wrestling every week for the last 17 years, I've heard just about every heel promo in one form of another, but I don't remember hearing anything like this. These particular lines stood out to me the most:

"Vince was right" "Keith Lee's manager" - I'm certainly not saying Adam Cole is unhappy in AEW or has any desire to leave. But I can buy that even just a small part of Cole wants to prove Vince wrong and maybe Cole even has some resentment towards Vince. Cole is one of the best wrestlers in the world; the idea that he's only a manager is disrespectful and asinine. (Reminder: not everything the heel says has to be true - they just have to make you believe it's true. And by this point I was buying into each character 100%)

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
I wouldn't say the WWE references were "refreshing" at all but I didn't mind them and that's a pretty solid analysis still

Reactions: Roy Mustang and BSE

Roy Mustang

Reaction score
Yeah even as someone who thinks WWE reference complaints are overdone, they are deffo not refreshing but fair enough

Death By Looch

I Believe In Joe Hendry
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
arnanderson
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
vader2
Favorite Wrestler
yujinagata
Favorite Wrestler
bethphoenix
I dunno why people hate on that MJF/Cole segment or MJF's promo. Now obviously no one has to like or even love it, but "hating it" is a strong negative response, that makes it look like the people who feel that way, either just quickly labeled it as lazy and/or just being a copy and didn't really register what the segment accomplished, or they are just being negative for the sake of it.

It was all in all very effective heel work by MJF and overall I think it's quite the accomplishment to basically parody a promo of your opponent from years ago, especially one that isn't just a throw away run-of-the-mill promo, without changing much, but it still not only works in context of the character who delivers it, but also fits the surrounding stories. Whoever came up with that backstage, did their homework.

Alexa

Forever on Holiday
Reaction score
Gonna get heat, but my main porblem with that segemnt is that it was "meta" stuff, AEW taking shots a WWE, and overall it was just the same MJF promo like always. I like the fact MJF does his job and makes people hate him, but I am starting to dislike, suppose the proper wording, that he is starting to become a one note and one trick pony, when he is better than that.

(go on and hate)

Reactions: Roy Mustang